Rough Ridge

Rough Ridge is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

I had hoped to hike Grandfather Mountain this day but arrived too late to make a start. I searched AllTrails and came across this hike. It is a nice short and steep hike up to a rock overlook. From here Callaway Peak and Grandfather Mountain are visible. The hike follows the Tanawha Trail and it is a well worn path with some step ups and several sections of wood bridge built to span across the sensitive flora. I had decided to watch the sunset and was ahead of schedule so i ended following the trail past the summit down to a second parking area and then back up. The view of the sunset was awesome and made for a nice finish to the day.

One of my favorite places!

Super awesome- walking on bridges on top of rocks then on rock side. Casual hike because it's short but if nice full body climbing up rocky stairs and the view is phenomenal

This trail is short but the views at the top were great! Would be difficult if the trail was crowded because there isn't a whole lot of room at the top. A great little hike to just pull off of the parkway and stretch your legs.

This trail is amazing! My kids (7 and 9) loooooved it! It is a short hike for a huge payoff of incredible views! It is very rocky and narrow almost all the way up, which added to the fun of it for us. It had been raining recently and in places it was very muddy, which was fine because it was summer and my kids had fun getting muddy and wet, but wouldn't have been so fun in the cold. There is a parking lot but it is such a popular hike that it fills up quickly.

I took my two dogs all the way up last week. One is 11 and the other 2, but they both were troopers. We went when it was pretty wet and muddy, so I would definitely recommend wearing hiking boots to grip the wet rocks. Coming down is a bit more challenging but it is definitely worth the trek. Saturday's are about crowded but the farther you go, the less people you see.

Amazing views. Short hike. Perfect pit stop. Might get muddy. Crowded on weekends.

Pretty easy hike, gorgeous view of the blue ridge mountains. Maybe even the best view on the parkway. I would definitely recommend going on a weekday because it was pretty busy, we went on a Friday.

Fairly easy, hour long hike. Good for all ages.

The view on top is great and getting to the top wasn't very hard. Would recommend going during the week . It's a tourist spot and very busy on weekends.

Rough Ridge is now a favorite hike of mine. My sister and I hiked it 3 days ago. It is a great hike that can challenge the hiker to be sure-footed. Probably 85% of the trail is stones which to me was a lot of fun. I am 59 years old and it was a great work out. We saw many others who were much older than us thoroughly enjoying the hike. The hike is worth the climb as there are a few stops along the way where you can walk out onto boulders and drink into the beautiful views. At the top, we laid on the boulder and looked out at mountains for as far as the eye can see. This hike is great exercise and the rewards are the views in all directions. This is a hike I will repeat.

Great trail, busy and wet, definitely a rough trail but us and the dogs loved it - the most stunning fall views

Amazing views. Can be very crowded depending on the day. Make sure to hike the entirety of the trail!

Nice views of Grandfather Mountain, Linville and Price Lake area. Fyi: There are a few different points of entry to the trail including one by mile marker 303 on Blue Ridge Parkway, Wilson Creek Parking and Price Lake. Great vistas from the two benches above mile marker 303. Agree with everyone re wearing hiking shoes on the rock/roots trail. Enjoy!

Great views, moderate trail! One of the most popular in the area for college students

Great hike. Great workout. Rocky trail and skinny trail. Wet spots on the trail are a constant but small and manageable unless it starts pouring rain. I recommend hiking boots for traction purposes.

Great views.

A good tip is to hike up Rough Ridge trail and down Wilson Creek trail. Then you can thumb a ride back to your car or hike it. Make sure to pick a sunny day for the views

Amazing views. Appropriate even for young kids (our youngest was 8).