Rough Ridge is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 695 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Wonderful hike. Don’t be afraid to try it. It is rated moderate, but my husband and I are novice hikers in our late 50’s early 60’s and we did it. I took several breaks along the way. Saw no trash. We went early to beat the crowd. So glad we did this. Great for families with young kids.

closed

Fantastic trail!!! Poop tons of people. CRAZY AMOUNT OF LITTER. Tried to go today but it was CLOSED FOR THE VIRUS.

The only disappointing feature of this trail is its popularity. It has amazing views and is so incredibly easy to do. But the heavy traffic from out of town visitors and students makes this a least desirable trail at times. The trail is best in my opinion early hours of the morning or later in the evening when it's not peak hiking times to avoid the congestion.

closed today 4/20 :(

Stunning views with one of the easiest hikes on the parkway. Super touristy but worth going once.

This was a great trail. Very well maintained. It is not super dog friendly. We have 2 large dogs and they struggled to climb some of the areas on the trail. People with smaller dogs were often carrying them. Trail is very narrow. Views are amazing, especially this early in spring before the leaves have fully come out.

Views the whole way, would be amazing with rhododendrons in bloom.

I love this trail! I don’t usually go to trails that are really popular but this is an easy hike (if ur an avid hiker), and the views are quite breathtaking! It’s an average incline going up, with some steeper areas, and if you go at the right time(when there’s not many people) you’ll see wildlife. Good for birdwatching and photography! Can be muddy if it’s recently rained, but not too bad. Just be sure to wear the right boots if you’re not used to looking at the ground as you walk lol. My kids, 5 and 7, love this trail and can easily keep up with me!

Went on a weekday, first week of March. Rained the day prior, but wasn’t too muddy! Great trail for a moderate hiker. Went during week and ran into less then ten other hikers. Recommend going afternoon on a weekday if your dog wants to go off leash( obviously not allowed) since there were minimal people around. Once we finished the 2.5 ( 1.5 hours) with breaks) we walked the shoulder of the Blue ridge road and took in some views walking back to the parking lot( 10 minute walk). Bought waterproof, trail running shoes from a local store. Great idea if you don’t want to come back with wet socks and sore feet:)

Fun trail to hike! Definitely make sure you have the right shoes! Mine don’t have tons of traction so I slid a little and fell twice (I’m also clumsy; no bruises or anything from falling though). Go all the way to the summit! It is worth it!

A lot of mud in early March but fantastic views from the rock formations on the first half of the trail. It gets a little rough after that but still a fun hike that will take you to Wilson Creek and the overlook there.

I love this trail even tho it is almost always crowded. Try to go during the week, less people. Beautiful views reward your efforts. Have a blast!!!