Rough Ridge

Rough Ridge is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Gorgeous views. Lots of rocks and heavy traffic, making it more touristy feeling than a true hike. But, as I said, gorgeous views.

I don't think a lot of people do this trail in it's entirety. I think most just do it up past the boardwalk then go back down. You're missing out if you don't do the whole trail. The trail is rated moderately strenuous and I agree. You're gonna sweat on this one. Wear hiking shoes for the best grip when climbing on the rocks. I slide up a few times yesterday with hiking shoes on. It might be easier to do the trail coming in from Wilson Creek. It's all up and down. Lots of rocks, boulders, roots, vegetation....beautiful views at the boardwalk. Parts of the trail were overgrown some. Park Ranger told me they didn't usually see many venomous snakes through there...good thing. lol I was worried about that coming across. Highly recommend the trail. Don't know if this would be a good trail for the whole family, just depends on what your family is used to doing. Not a lot of people on the trail until you get to the boardwalk area.

The views were amazing. The pictures we took did reflect how spectacular they were. Would definitely do this trail again but with better hiking shoe. The rocks on the trail were somewhat slick not due to moisture but kind of sandy. Lots of people doing the trail . would not do this on a weekend for that reason alone.

This trails is appropriately named. Views from the top are awesome.

The name says it all. We hiked from the Linn Cove visitors center to the intersection with the Daniel Boone Scout Trail, and from that direction this section of trail was the most difficult. Very rocky and steep, I would have to rate it as moderate since the walk down from the lookout was on a very gentle incline on a smooth path. The boardwalk up to the lookout is very nice, and the view from the lookout is the best I have seen- better than any I saw on the Grandfather trail, or on the drive through the Smoky Mountain NP. No sign of civilization other than the cell tower about 6 ridges over. Can't wait to share with more of the family.

So worth the uphill hike - views of viaduct and far range are absolutely incredible! Kids - 11 and 14 - didn't have any problem. We'll be doing this one again! Enjoy.

What a great place to hike along the parkway. Would highly recommend. Terrific views.

Gorgeous specially in the spring and fall plenty of people though you're constantly meeting another Hikers on the trail but the views are absolutely gorgeous

I camped there on the boardwalk. It was gorgeous, but insanely windy. Easy but rocky trail