Rocktop Trail

Rocktop Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gastonia, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Rocktop Trail is less traveled and has excellent views. It has a lower elevation than the Crowders summit, but has great views of the cliffs and the surrounding countryside.

I think this is the coolest trail in the park from beginning to end. Discovered some new overlooks with nice views of the Pinnacle Summit and the Ridgeline.

I went up there yesterday for the first time at it was very beautiful. I was surprised to see so many people up at the top

Great trail for some moderate elevation gain. Going up and down the rock top trail adds something a little different to your hike. For us this ended up being closer to a 7 mile hike.

Good trail for quick hikes.

This is my favorite trail at Crowders.

Moderate. Nice views and numerous overlooks from different directions. Almost 1.5 miles to the summit. Accessed from the Crowders Trail. Sweet hike to the top and my preferred way up.

Just as the trail name suggested. Very rocky. Some spots might require all four but a great workout! Trail itself is very well maintained. Will definitely come back!!

Great physical hike. The rocks were a lot of fun to navigate at the top. The views at the top is really what makes this hike. Not much along the way as far as streams,flowers/plants, birds or other critters you normally come across on a hike. Trail was tough to navigate due to the time of year. All the leaves hid a lot of the roots and rocks along the trail-easy to turn an ankle. All in all a good day with probably one of the best views in the southeast.

Second time hiking it. Enjoy the rocks.

Great trail! Wonderful views!

Hiked on 10-14-17. Good length with a nice view at the top. Had a little difficulty identifying the trail in some parts. I looked for the "red' dots. Enjoyed the extensive amount of rocks which made it my favorite of the trails i hiked at Crowders Mtn.

Loved climbing all the rocks

Lots of rocks.

worth the long hike to get to the top!

Beautiful Hike

Monday, April 24, 2017

My favorite trail at Crowder's Mountain, best hike possible within 30 minutes of Charlotte. This trail starts relatively flat at the base and gently transcends into a more strenuous hike. What I like most, other than the view at the end, is the interesting hike all along the way. Seems like there is always something to look at from rock walls to ridge line views. Also, you have the option of staying on the trail, or, if you have a little more time, go off of the path to explore or crawl over the many rock formations. I have probably hiked this 10 times and no two trips are ever the same.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Incredible rock formations along most of the trail. Lots of rocks and ledges to scramble over. Really beautiful trail.

Monday, January 02, 2017

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

My favorite trail at Crowders. It is really well-marked and there is lots of exposed rock to play around on. I like to take this trail up to the summit, and the Backside trail to the Crowders trail down.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Not one of my favorite trails around, but its a quick workout. Some rocks to climb over toward the top - generally pretty busy location so be ready to see a lot of people on the trail (and wait behind them depending).

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Awesome!

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Enjoyable straight-forward hike, great for a quick getaway to nature. A short stretch of this hike is across open rock face and opens up to clear long distance views.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Excellent choice for trail running, cross country running.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Forget my last review! I has this trail confused with another. This trail is my FAVORITE at Crowders.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

This trail is only a little over a mile, but note that it takes you up/down the vast majority of the mountain in half that time. I took Crowders trail + Backside trail up the mountain, then came down Tower Trail until I hit Rocktop and took it back to the visitor center. Going down, the first half of the trail is pretty flat and has a few different rock formations that were fun to walk over (max step up-down was only 12-18" inches). The problem is that the 2nd half is very steep and easy to lose your footing going down. Though I'm sure it'd kick my butt, I'd recommend going up this trail instead of down to avoid slipping/falling. Especially after a rainy day.

Thursday, October 09, 2014

This trail kicked my butt! Started from the welcome center, went across Crowders trail, up the Backside trail, then across Rock Top, back to the welcome center. Great views, more rugged terrain than you would think.

Monday, September 23, 2013

Hiked this trail early afternoon today. Difficult going up, easy going down. Overall fun.

Sunday, July 07, 2013

My favorite trail at crowders! It has better views as tower trail is near power lines and in my opinion better terrain due to all the rocks you maneuver around.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

This is my favorite trail in Crowders Mountain State Park. The Rock Top trail has some of the best views in the park. The trail is very rocky and includes a moderate scramble over a fairly narrow rock outcrop. This trail connects the peak of Crowders Mountain to the Crowders Trail and to Sparrow Springs Rd. This trail is less traveled than some of the other trails in the park.