Roan Mountain Via Appalachian Trail

Roan Mountain Via Appalachian Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bakersville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November.

Strenuous but not overly bad I went to the end of the CloudLand Trail and the view is amazing

One of my all-time favorite hiking spots...from the Three Balds, Roan High Knob, the Cloudland Hotel site, the Rhododendron Gardens to Roan High Bluff. It is such a special and unique place. I have hiked it in all seasons and many different weather conditions. I have witnessed both an amazing sunrise and sunset here. I have seen the world's largest natural Rhododendron area in full bloom. I was very lucky to see a couple clusters of the very rare Gray's Lilly blooming at the Cloudland site. I had a large black bear run across the trail right in front of me on top of Grassy Ridge Bald (on an unusually warm December morning with nobody else nearby). I have struck up many wonderful conversations here (with first-time hikers and AT thru hikers). And I have brought family and friends to let them experience some of these same joys and the incredible views. What a wonderful place!

Great hike, don't trust the directions on this app though. The actual trail is located off Roan Rd, not 226 as indicated by the app.

good hike

Breath taking mountain views basically the entire hike. Lots of fun!

Super awesome, literally feels like your in a fairy tale, lord of the rings, but different. Pretty windy up there, no coverage as far as trees go. Any time of the year will bring a wonderful view! Hike the Grassy Ridge Bald section if you can, its pretty long and it technically is a combination of three peaks but as far as the terrains features go suggest otherwise. Have fun!

Did five miles. Beautiful views and some strenuous areas,but we prefer more green and water.

Easy and rewarding

When I went it was October and extremely foggy other than that it was a fun hike!

I had a wonderful hike today heading north on th AT. The scenery was incredible and the weather was perfect. I consider the trail to be moderate, but nothing technical or difficult.