New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Roan Knob via Appalachian Trail

Roan Knob via Appalachian Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bakersville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 777 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Even with a very heavy fog, this hike was beautiful... have to visit again when sunny to see , what I hear are spectacular vitas..!

My favorite trail so far. Gorgeous 360 degrees view with vast landscape.

Once you get to the bald, the views are amazing. I went at sunset & it was beautiful, magical. The hike isn’t difficult but I have a torn meniscus & there are steep parts that were a struggle! I am also not in the best shape but was still able to make the climb & it was well worth the effort! If I was in peak hiker’s shape, I would say it’s an easy up and back trail!

Very good, easy incline hike up to old baldy, but easy enough for a 4 year old. Beautiful views and a nice drive over from the Tri-Cities. Great day trip, windy, and good weather...

My wife and I love this area. The view from the deck at Roan High Bluff on a clear day is great. But we went 2 years ago and it was very foggy and the wind was blowing like crazy coming up the side of the mountain. That was a wild experience.

This trail was steep straight upwards. People clearly have their photos mislabeled for this trail. No view on the way up, but the tree-lined trail was beautiful nonetheless. If you go as far as the cloudland mountain, there is a slight view and sign with info of a previous hotel. It was pretty cool to read about.

Unlike Grassy Ridge Bald, Roan Knob isn’t very scenic what so ever. In fact we hiked all the way to Roan Bluffs Trail Overlook before we saw any kind of view. But none the less, a beautiful walk through the woods. I did it once. Probably won’t do it again.

Thu Jul 26 2018

No view on this hike during summer.

Mon Jul 09 2018

one of my all time favs if for no other reason than nostalgia.

Mon Feb 05 2018

I love the view in the winter

Sun Jun 11 2017

This hike goes from Carver's Gap through a spruce fir forest to Roan High Knob. There are occasional views through the trees along the way, but it is not a constant "wow" like the balds east/(north on AT) of Carver's Gap. Roan High Knob is wooded and is home to the highest elevation shelter on the AT (or so I've been told).

Sun May 21 2017

We missed the wildflowers, but otherwise a beautiful trail. No view till you get to Cloudland Mtn.

Sun Oct 23 2016

One of my all-time favorite hiking spots...from the Three Balds, Roan High Knob, the Cloudland Hotel site, the Rhododendron Gardens to Roan High Bluff. It is such a special and unique place. I have hiked it in all seasons and many different weather conditions. I have witnessed both an amazing sunrise and sunset here. I have seen the world's largest natural Rhododendron area in full bloom. I was very lucky to see a couple clusters of the very rare Gray's Lilly blooming at the Cloudland site. I had a large black bear run across the trail right in front of me on top of Grassy Ridge Bald (on an unusually warm December morning with nobody else nearby). I have struck up many wonderful conversations here (with first-time hikers and AT thru hikers). And I have brought family and friends to let them experience some of these same joys and the incredible views. What a wonderful place!

Sat Oct 15 2016

Great hike, don't trust the directions on this app though. The actual trail is located off Roan Rd, not 226 as indicated by the app.

Sun Jul 31 2016

good hike

Mon Jul 11 2016

Breath taking mountain views basically the entire hike. Lots of fun!

Thu Nov 12 2015

Super awesome, literally feels like your in a fairy tale, lord of the rings, but different. Pretty windy up there, no coverage as far as trees go. Any time of the year will bring a wonderful view! Hike the Grassy Ridge Bald section if you can, its pretty long and it technically is a combination of three peaks but as far as the terrains features go suggest otherwise. Have fun!

Mon Jul 27 2015

Did five miles. Beautiful views and some strenuous areas,but we prefer more green and water.

Mon Jul 27 2015

Easy and rewarding

Wed Jan 21 2015

When I went it was October and extremely foggy other than that it was a fun hike!

Sat Dec 27 2014

I had a wonderful hike today heading north on th AT. The scenery was incredible and the weather was perfect. I consider the trail to be moderate, but nothing technical or difficult.

Sat May 24 2014

This trail is great, beautiful views and a nice hike, even my 4 year old loved it. We tried to go when the Rhododendron were in bloom, but missed it by a few weeks. You will definitely not be the only ones there, but I still found it very enjoyable. It is totally exposed, don't forget sunscreen.

Mon Sep 16 2013

This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite places that I've ever been! It's so gorgeous and picturesque, and the hike isn't too difficult. The natural balds make for an easy 360 degree view, and it's a great mix of going up and down at a steady pace. FYI: remember that it's always at least 10 degrees colder up there than say, Johnson City. If you get the chance, GO! We also always take our 3 dogs, who are 2 miniature Dachshunds and a Blue Heeler mix. We even took our big telescope up there to view the super moon over the summer, but fog moved in right after the sunset, and we couldn't see 5 feet in front of us. It was a fun adventure to get back down! Thank goodness for cell phone flashlights!

Sun Sep 08 2013

This is not the Roan Mountain Trail that I am aware of. It looks like the dot on the map is off in Erwin area. Roan Mountain has its own address roan Mountain Tn. I will post that hike.

Thu Aug 09 2012

Beautiful easy hike, you get to see all the surroundings. Absolutely incredible

Wed Aug 25 2010

Great challange, Awesome Shelter/ Campsites on top, Very wear and tare on every part of your body... and then some. but totally worth every pain throbing step!!!!