Learn more

Raven Rocks Loop is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Linville, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 1.8 mi Elevation gain 728 ft Route type Loop

Photos (587)
Recordings (89)
Completed (375)
Ali Eaton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
View Ali's Recording
Michael Poole
HikingMuddy
View Michael's Recording
Joel Baker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

This is a really fun trail and we would like to come back and go to Calloway Peak. We did this trail with our 40lb dog. If taking a dog to Calloway, I’d recommend going the lower route as there is only one ladder. We went the upper loop which was really fun but fairly difficult with a dog. He was able to do the 1st and 3rd ladder by himself, but I had to carry him up the 2nd and 4th-7th. Might be hard with a large dog. If you do go the upper way and go back the lower way, there is only 2 ladders on the way down from the peak going the low way. Overall, this was a really fun and we want to come back without a dog.

Regina Kallweit
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Sehr schöne Runde, anspruchsvoll, der Hinweg mit den Leitern ein Abenteuer, der Rückweg sehr felsig, rutschig und anstrengend. Unsere 3 und 6 jährigen Kindern (mit Wandererfahrung!) haben es geschafft!

View Regina's Recording
Brooke Parker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

The review says dogs are able to use this trail... for those who have done it, how accurate is this? Looking to do this hike with our 3 dogs this weekend but didn’t know if we should leave them behind for this one. Any tips much appreciated!

Kira Bigam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Absolutely gorgeous!! I'd probably rate it more as hard, simply because it's extremely technical and there's a fair amount of climbing. Definitely don't go if you're afraid of heights. A few of the ladders are a bit scary, but they're solid and not at all physically hard to climb. It's very, very Rocky and you have to watch your feet virtually the whole time. So so worth it! Absolutely stunning at the top.

J R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 24, 2020
HikingScramble
Carl B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 28, 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsMuddyNo shadeOff trailPrivate propertyRockyWashed out
View Carl's Recording
Melissa Snyder
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 2, 2019

It costs $22/adult, $9/child to access this hike.. what a scam

Danielle King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2019
Hiking

Just fyi, you have to pay to get up here! But man is this a FUN hike!

Rebekah Levine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2019
HikingScramble

Wow! This hike was the most beautiful and rewarding route I've done in this area so far. Physically, I agree with the moderate rating. Mentally, I would rate it as hard. There was so much scrambling, and you really had to think about foot placement. The ladders and some of the rock sections were incredibly steep. Make sure you wear ankle high boots with good treads. If you are afraid of heights (or if it has recently rained) I would reconsider this hike. It is not for the faint of heart!! I don't mind heights, and even I was a little nervous on the back half of the loops. Gorgeous views though, and a woman I passed so a bear, though unfortunately I did not. Have fun and be safe!

View Rebekah 's Recording
Julian Parris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2019
Hiking

Very fun trail with some spectacular views! We didn’t expect to scramble as much as we did, so be sure you know what you’re in for. Also, if you’re afraid of heights and don’t enjoy climbing up ladders on the side of a mountain, this might not be the trail for you. Otherwise; highly recommend!

Mikayla Petersen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2019
Hiking

I would highly recommend this trail to people who love to hike and are more experienced as it is a tad bit rocky. The views of breathtaking and one of a kind. This hike and all it has to offer is totally worth the $20. I will be back to hike this trail the next time I’m here.

View Mikayla's Recording
Evan Ardanaz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2019
HikingRockyScramble
View Evan's Recording
Cole Armstrong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2019
Hiking

This hike was definitely the most difficult I’ve done thus far but it was amazing. This trail should be upgraded to hard in my opinion because the ladders and cables were a definite challenge, an overall pretty strenuous course. I ended up getting run off the top of the mountain almost as soon as i got there due to an approaching storm but I’m definitely coming back to do it again and hit nearby Calloways peak while I’m at. I’d recommend this trail to anyone. Best views I’ve ever seen

Jeff Kurzner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2019
Hiking

first one on the trail was worth it. incredible views

View Jeff's Recording
robert clee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2019
Hiking

Very hard if you hate heights!!

View robert's Recording
Erika Hdez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 19, 2019
HikingBugs

Fairly difficult hike. A lot more rock bouldering and scrambling than I anticipated but views were so worth it! Don’t recommend hiking sticks as they’ll get in the way of going up the ladders provided on the way.

John Zuke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 30, 2019
Hiking

Wow! I honestly haven’t been on a hike as tough as this before. Lots of climbing and slippery rocks. Didn’t go all the way to Calloway, because my pace is too slow. New goal for next time!

View John's Recording
Charles Hoffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 28, 2019

great views and challenging hike

Kathleen Newer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2018
Hiking

This hike was awesome but I would rate it as strenuous. Lots of bouldering and rocks are slippery in places. The cables and ladders are great. The views, especially at Raven rocks are simply stupendous. I would give yourself 3-4 hours and take it slow. Don’t bring hiking poles as you need your hands free. It’s well worth the hike.