Rattlesnake Mountain

Rattlesnake Mountain is a 2.6 mile loop trail located near Montreat, North Carolina that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Great views from the top, but it’s worth going via the lookout trail as well- more challenging terrain but also great scenery. The old toll road part of the path is really easy going, if you’re looking for something less strenuous make sure you take the turn off from the lookout trail

I combined this hike with lookout mountain. Rattlesnake mountain is more beautiful than lookout mountain in my opinion. I genuinely enjoyed the solitude at the summit and the 360 views. It’s quite a strenuous hike when you come from the lookout side, but it’s the kind of hiking I love with some climbing on rocks.

Accessed this trail from the Lookout Mtn trail. Not very long, but part of the Montreat trail system that traverses a few peaks. 360 views at the top. Seven Sisters Peaks to the north is the best view. Want to say I saw Mt Mitchell towering over all of them in the very back. To the east is I-40 cutting through the valley. Good view south looking at the Swannanoa Mtn range.