Rattlesnake Lodge Trail

Rattlesnake Lodge Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Weaverville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great views and foliage! Mid February and not too many folks on the trail. Intersects with other trails so keep an eye on markers. Would definitely revisit this spot

Good trail. Enjoyed the walk and the views.

Great time! Sadly the peak didn’t have a view but plenty of other great views along the way!

There’s not a lodge! But fun, easy hike.

Magnificent views! Good workout on well maintained trails. Just spectacular even in January.

Excellent day on the blue ridge

Pretty easy hike without super steep slopes and views of the blue ridge mountains the whole way in the winter. You can see the valley and little houses. The lodge isn’t there anymore—burned down in 1926, but there’s a placard with a description of the lodge so you know you’ve made it.

Took the Lodge Trail around and picked up Mountains to Sea up to Wolf Den. Was raining and slick so skipped the last leg to Pinnacle Peak, which I did a few weeks ago. Trail in good shape with decent views along the way.

Well kept trail with many nice vistas.

Awesome trail. We loved the terrain. Beautiful views.

great hike

A wonderful short trail - should take around two hours depending on if you stop to admire the old lodge. Parking is very limited with about 4-5 spots right by the trailhead and then limited roadside parking a short walk away. That said, I’ve never had an issue finding space if I’m determined to hike the trail.

Most of the trail is actually part of the Mountains to Sea Trail and is blazed white. The trail is fairly straightforward until you reach Rattlesnake Lodge. You’ll find lots of little side trails - most lead to smaller ruins or backpacking campgrounds.

If you stay the course on the white trail through the first part of the lodge, you’ll find additional ruins. A blue blazed path will be to your right going downhill right before these ruins. If you continue straight you’ll see two additional parts of the lodge. Running between them is another blue blazed path on the left going uphill and a white blazed path on the right.

If you take either of these paths you’ll complete the loop as it is on the map. I usually take the blue path first as it’s quite steep and harder to climb down than up, then make sure to go right when it meets the white trail. I highly recommend doing the loop as there are more ruins and lovely streams.

Overall the old lodge is fascinating to see and the hike is short & sweet. The trails are very well marked and maintained. A great way to spend a morning or afternoon.

Not too strenuous and well defined trail in most places. Train is not marked so got turned around a few times. Not very busy on a Saturday afternoon. Most dogs on leash except one. Great shade, lots off mushrooms and moss, and yummy forest smells. One thing I’d change if I could is that you can hear all the loud ass touring motorcycles on the parkway as the noise travels up.

Nice, easy hike out to the remains of a remote lodge.

Nice trail with some pretty views. Moderately challenging with one pretty steep uphill on the white loop. Make it longer by doing the blue offshoot trail near the stream.

Nice scenery. Good views.

Great hike after being off the trail for a long time . There are lots of beautiful flowers and trees to soak in .

Decent easier hike with some nice vistas. Seeing the ruins was cool and crazy to imagine building a home that many years ago in the middle of nowhere on a mountain. Make sure to pay attention to the trail map/blazes when you get to the loop as another trial intersects. Parking is very limited, sort of just a small side runoff the road that can fit a few cars.

Limited parking.

Lots of shade throughout trail.

Lots of wildflowers

The loop comes after seeing the remains of an early 1900s stone lodge.

The loop is the steepest/most difficult part of the hike so I’d skip it if you’re already tired by the time you get to it.

To make the loop, you take the right trail first and then take a left trail at the blue marked tree around half a mile up.

My wife and I hiked the trail this morning. Easy hike with lots of nice views and wildflowers. Lots of history with the Lodge and it must have been spectacular to stay there in the early 1900’s. Trail is kept up nicely. We will definitely be coming back for a fall hike. Had a great lunch in Weaverville.

Beautiful views on the way up to the blue trail loop.
We chose to go left and it was decently steep. My heart rate was up until we reached the top, where a natural spring was coming out of a rock.
I use trekking poles while hiking to protect my knees and was thankful to have them once we were half way up the blue trail.
We didn’t see any wildlife while we were out, but I imagine 2 people and 2 dogs make a lot of noise to scare animals out of our path.

Decent elevation, dog friendly, lots of nettles and the path is thin at times, which made it harder for the kids.

Very beautiful with lots of wildlife and flowers. Watch out for bears, I got attacked on the trail 3 days ago by a black bear with cubs. (We startled each other.) luckily I’m pretty tall and she decided to stop in front of me and back up.

Very easy hike. I added the loop for the blue trail. the pace I was doing made it easy. On a harder day the blue climb would have got the heart rate up.

Really enjoyed hiking this trail. Nice gradual climb on the White Trail and nothing too tough to walk over. Misunderstood that the Blue Trail was the way to loop back to the White Trail and head back to the trailhead, and ended up adding a few miles to the hike. You can take the Blue Trail at the Lodge and it's a steep hike up to get back to the White Trail. Or you can stay on the White Trail until you see the other end of the Blue Trail and it's a steep hike down. The only real tough stretch of the hike. We crossed paths with a few other folks and a dog but did not see any wildlife. Only room for 3 or 4 cars at the trailhead so the earlier comment about additional parking might come into play.

The trail was alright. Definitely prepare yourself for bears. We saw three, one being in the first 10 minutes of the hike. Make sure to follow the white one way and the blue the other around the loop. If you keep taking the white it will lead you way out.

Took the far right trail (blue). It was definitely moderate to hard. Got my heart pumping. Very shaded and lots of running water nearby.

Took the white trail back down. Not as difficult.

Definitely worth the trip to see the lodge ruins.

just returned from attempting this hike and encountered a not-so-friendly bear about 5 minutes in to the hike. I think we surprised him & he jumped onto a tree and growled at us. We were about 12 feet from it. We went back down the trail and tried to go back up with another group that had a dog. The bear was at the same spot and again growling at another group attempting to hike through from the other side. I reported it to the authority, who said that this is unusual activity for a bear. Be careful if you are attempting this hike!

First time going on this trail. A friend of mine told me about it. Great hike for the kids.