Rattlesnake Lodge Trail

Rattlesnake Lodge Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Weaverville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not too strenuous and well defined trail in most places. Train is not marked so got turned around a few times. Not very busy on a Saturday afternoon. Most dogs on leash except one. Great shade, lots off mushrooms and moss, and yummy forest smells. One thing I’d change if I could is that you can hear all the loud ass touring motorcycles on the parkway as the noise travels up.

Nice, easy hike out to the remains of a remote lodge.

Nice trail with some pretty views. Moderately challenging with one pretty steep uphill on the white loop. Make it longer by doing the blue offshoot trail near the stream.

Nice scenery. Good views.

Great hike after being off the trail for a long time . There are lots of beautiful flowers and trees to soak in .

Decent easier hike with some nice vistas. Seeing the ruins was cool and crazy to imagine building a home that many years ago in the middle of nowhere on a mountain. Make sure to pay attention to the trail map/blazes when you get to the loop as another trial intersects. Parking is very limited, sort of just a small side runoff the road that can fit a few cars.

Limited parking.

Lots of shade throughout trail.

Lots of wildflowers

The loop comes after seeing the remains of an early 1900s stone lodge.

The loop is the steepest/most difficult part of the hike so I’d skip it if you’re already tired by the time you get to it.

To make the loop, you take the right trail first and then take a left trail at the blue marked tree around half a mile up.

My wife and I hiked the trail this morning. Easy hike with lots of nice views and wildflowers. Lots of history with the Lodge and it must have been spectacular to stay there in the early 1900’s. Trail is kept up nicely. We will definitely be coming back for a fall hike. Had a great lunch in Weaverville.

Beautiful views on the way up to the blue trail loop.
We chose to go left and it was decently steep. My heart rate was up until we reached the top, where a natural spring was coming out of a rock.
I use trekking poles while hiking to protect my knees and was thankful to have them once we were half way up the blue trail.
We didn’t see any wildlife while we were out, but I imagine 2 people and 2 dogs make a lot of noise to scare animals out of our path.

Decent elevation, dog friendly, lots of nettles and the path is thin at times, which made it harder for the kids.

Very beautiful with lots of wildlife and flowers. Watch out for bears, I got attacked on the trail 3 days ago by a black bear with cubs. (We startled each other.) luckily I’m pretty tall and she decided to stop in front of me and back up.

Very easy hike. I added the loop for the blue trail. the pace I was doing made it easy. On a harder day the blue climb would have got the heart rate up.

Really enjoyed hiking this trail. Nice gradual climb on the White Trail and nothing too tough to walk over. Misunderstood that the Blue Trail was the way to loop back to the White Trail and head back to the trailhead, and ended up adding a few miles to the hike. You can take the Blue Trail at the Lodge and it's a steep hike up to get back to the White Trail. Or you can stay on the White Trail until you see the other end of the Blue Trail and it's a steep hike down. The only real tough stretch of the hike. We crossed paths with a few other folks and a dog but did not see any wildlife. Only room for 3 or 4 cars at the trailhead so the earlier comment about additional parking might come into play.

The trail was alright. Definitely prepare yourself for bears. We saw three, one being in the first 10 minutes of the hike. Make sure to follow the white one way and the blue the other around the loop. If you keep taking the white it will lead you way out.

Took the far right trail (blue). It was definitely moderate to hard. Got my heart pumping. Very shaded and lots of running water nearby.

Took the white trail back down. Not as difficult.

Definitely worth the trip to see the lodge ruins.

just returned from attempting this hike and encountered a not-so-friendly bear about 5 minutes in to the hike. I think we surprised him & he jumped onto a tree and growled at us. We were about 12 feet from it. We went back down the trail and tried to go back up with another group that had a dog. The bear was at the same spot and again growling at another group attempting to hike through from the other side. I reported it to the authority, who said that this is unusual activity for a bear. Be careful if you are attempting this hike!

First time going on this trail. A friend of mine told me about it. Great hike for the kids.

Perfect for Mother’s Day hike with lots of wildflowers. Up hill for the first half. Enough water to collect on the way as long as you have a water purification mechanism. Some nice spots for picnicking. Not a lot of views but some. Lots of gorgeous rock.

As several people have said, this is a great trail for wildflowers. I know nothing about what kinds of flowers other than they were beautiful in the morning sun.

This is an easy/moderate trail: easy almost all of the way, although the back side of the loop from the Blue Ridge Parkway back up to the Rattlesnake Lodge ruins would be moderate. Not hard, but a pretty decent uphill.

The informational sign about Rattlesnake Lodge was very informative.

The only downside to this trail is lack of parking at the trailhead. There is only room for 3-4 cars. If you can’t find a spot, drive another quarter-mile up the hill and there is another small parking area with a trailhead there. You can park there and make the short hike back to the real trailhead. That is what we had to do.

Great trail!

We did come across two black bears on our way back so be aware of proper safety precautions! Definitely an adventure!

Just hiked in late April. Lots of wildflowers out to enjoy. Also lots of running water with small cascades. Worth the trip.

Hopped on this trail after finding out the Blue Ridge Parkway was closed. Nice hike, dog friendly, but did not appreciate a scenic view. Not sure if we just missed it somewhere along the way.

Love this hike. I have done it usually once a year for the past 18 years. Easy to get too. Dog and kid friendly.

great little hike, with a variety of scenery. There's enough of an elevation game here to get your attention but it's not too bad. The loop section is really cool as you walk through the rhododendron. the history of the rattlesnake Lodge itself is pretty interesting and it's always cool to see the ruins. Be careful and pay attention to the markings, at the top of the loop make sure you take the blue markers down the hill. If you keep staying on the white marked Trail it'll take you a much further than you're anticipating going.

Great hike. Pay attention to blue and white trail markings. You'll be Happy you did.

Beautiful hike! And cool historic destination. Blue trail to the left (after settlement) is surprisingly challenging for such a chill trail, but the rhody tunnel at 4100 ft is worth the climb!

Saw a bunch of pilated woodpeckers on this trail and camped out in Dr. Ambler's "den"---- cool little hike!

Trail is very nice. When you start on the trail, you are following the white blazes. When you are at the top of the loop make sure you turn on the blue blaze trail, to send you down the mountain. If you continue on the white blaze you will be taken off of this trail and onto the “Mountain to Sea” trail. This was not known to me when I was on this hike. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 07, 2017

so I climbed the white all the way to ridge knob and was told there is an overlook? I'm 4 miles in and see nothing and according to this app I'm not on a trail lol wtf

Saturday, September 30, 2017

The only nice long range view is near the front leg of the trail.