Rattlesnake Lodge Short Loop

Rattlesnake Lodge Short Loop is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Weaverville, North Carolina that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Good uphill climb with kids.

Took our 5 & 3 year old, and I think did the same extra loop that another review wrote, adding a bit of the white trail on. The ruins were more spread out than I expected and I'm not sure we saw all of them, but it was fun. Lots of small creek crossings and some mud here and there. Our thighs will be sore tomorrow!

Awesome, not a lot of traffic- a staple hike for me!

Hiked this trail with my wife and twin 6 yr olds this morning and we had a great time. We went up the northern leg of the loop and when we got to the top where it intersects the Mountain to Sea trail we decided to make a longer loop by taking the MTS trail south until it connects with Rattlesnake Loop trail. At this point we circled back down to the Rattlesnake Lodge Short Loop and back to the truck. This adds some elevation to the journey but leads through some very interesting low-hanging trees and added more variety to the already beautiful trail. Overall I think the elevation change on this modified loop including the RL Short Loop is about 700' and total distance was about 3 miles. We hiked it in about 2 hours total, taking plenty of time for explore, snack and take in the forest.

You can park on the road shoulder at the entrance to the Tanbark Ridge Tunnel off the BRP. There was only one other car parked. There might be room for 4 - 5 cars total but that's about it. The trail is well-marked (blue markers) and easy to follow, even in the fog and rain that we hiked through during the last mile.

Easy well kept trail. Fun and interesting.

Sunday, June 25, 2017