Piney Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Durham, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We enjoyed the trail but were confused on how to finish it. The trail had brush on it and seemed to dead end into private property. Would be interested to hear from people who were able to complete the trail.

It's a nice little trail with a surprisingly high "mountain" compared to the area around it. It isn't really challenging and doesn't have the best views but it's definitely a fun trail that is pretty hidden in Durham/Chapel Hill. The best part for me is being right next to New Hope Creek which can be really relaxing and beautiful at times. Be warned of lots of roots/rocks and one small river crossing, which there is a few logs to climb over.

Great trail. Definitely need good hiking shoes as there is an abundance of rocks and roots along the trail. One water crossing needed to complete the trail and a short section of rocks to climb over along New Hope Creek

I really liked this trail ... my favorite so far in the Duke Forest. Got a great view of the New Hope Creek.

it is perfekt to go with dog and without dog.

Best trail I’ve done in the triangle so far. The rock scrambles were a nice surprise and the overall walk was great.

Loved it! This really felt more like a playground than a trail. I had loads of fun scrambling along the rocks on the bank, running up the hill near the entrance multiple times bc I missed the very obvious turn off to where I parked, and finding different ways to land in the stream (note: I highly recommended using the cheater stick that someone kindly left by the tree crossing...especially helpful if your legs get shakey on the return trip). I lost my way multiple times though each was totally worthwhile. It’s all well marked, so if I’d been paying attention rather than playing, there wouldn’t have been any reason to double back or run in circles.

This loop trail in Duke Forest has a little bit of everything. Nice views, a steep climb, beautiful creek views, and even some rocks to scramble over. Great hike.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Kristen and I️ wanted to run but trail too Rough and rocky and leaf covered. We were concerned about footing so we walked. Great trees and great creeks. Some elevation change. A few confusing loops Great time.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

This is the first time I've recorded my route and I'm glad I did. The trail was a little confusing and I had to double back a few times. It is very overgrown by the river and it's not clear where to cross the river. There is a tricky part by the river where you have to climb over some rocks. Overall a good hike.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Starting across the street from Mt. Sinai Baptist Church, the trail follows a roadbed to a ridge where you can go left or right, both downhill. The trail is in pretty good shape until you get to the stream and river beds. Blazed with a blue circle, the trail becomes single track and overgrown, and appears to have been washed out at times. If you do the right side loop, there is a slight bit of scrambling along the river and some rocky areas, but it is not too far. There is no good place to cross the stream bed to get to the other side, but you can do it across a sandy spot to the left as you reach the bottom of the hill. You can go along the stream beds on both sides, and we didn't cross to the second loop. We did see a snake, not sure if it was a cottonmouth, but was near a log as we reached the stream. Not one of my favorite hikes, although it does give you a good workout with some elevation gain.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

trail made of bigger gravel

Sunday, February 12, 2017