Learn more

Pilot Mountain via Mountain, Grindstone, Jomeokee, and Ledge Spring Trails

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(109)
Pilot Mountain State Park
;

Pilot Mountain via Mountain, Grindstone, Jomeokee, and Ledge Spring Trails is a 9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pinnacle, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 9.0 mi Elevation gain 1,653 ft Route type Loop

Muddy

Rocky

Description
Waypoints (0)

Start at the main office. Go across the street and left on the marked trail. Follow the marked Mountain Trail (nice moderate hike through the woods) until you get around the perimeter of the mountain to the intersection with the Grindstone Trail. Go right and you will start a moderate climb up. When you come to the intersection with the Ledge Spring Trail, veer to the right. Once you explore the top a bit, you can come back down the Grindstone Trail and you will end up at the parking area for a ~9 mile loop.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (109)
Photos (1241)
Recordings (125)
Completed (233)
Sreevidya P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingOff trail
Meghan Tocci
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 01 2020
HikingMuddy

On my watch I had this hike (round trip) clocked at 12.62 miles. While the view at the top had one nice vantage point, it’s hard to enjoy when the first thing you see at the summit is a parking lot. After hiking 6+ miles it feels so anticlimactic when nothing about the top is natural. I think it’s so important to have such beautiful well maintained mountain tops like this so everyone of all abilities can access the peak. However, I would not recommend taking the 5+ hours to hike up and back if you want the experience and euphoria of reaching the top and feeling immersed and surrounded by the nature. Edited to add: The trail however was gorgeous. So scenic and green. Which is also important to note since it’s not always about the view from the top!

Bill Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
HikingMuddy

Hiked this on a misty Memorial Day. Going clockwise from the trailhead, the Mountain trail portion is a gradual slope and pretty easy, beautiful forest well maintained along the way. The trail at times was a stream bed due to recent rains. Taking a right turn at the Grindstone trail sends you uphill but not steep. The app tracks the old trail along the cliffs. It's been rerouted as evidenced by the cut trees and debris thrown over the old trail. The app will let you know when you're off trail. May be good to redo the track for the new trail. We picked our way up along the climbing area, some was inaccessible due to erosion control. We had to slip through a fence to get back onto the main trail to Little Pinnacle and on to Jomeokee and around Big Pinnacle, which was shrouded in clouds the whole time. But the Mountain Laurel and Rhodos were blooming and beautiful. We took the Ledge Spring Trail down with water rolling off the cliffs, which with all the steps can be hard on the knees. We found a couple of box turtles, a frog and some deer when we were leaving. We actually drove back up after completing the hike with the hopes the heavens would open up to reveal Big Pinnacle. We were not disappointed as it opened up just as we got there. We enjoyed the hike even though with parks opening back up and crowds due to it being a holiday, think closing the park at 11AM and the misty weather kept it enjoyable. I recommend this 10-11 mile hike.for a good workout and lots of variety along the way.

Jackson Elpers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 08 2020
Hiking

Good 9+ mile hike to get up early for. Did the Mountain Trail around the base before heading up to the top. Did the rock climbing side, Ledge Spring Trail, up and the Grindstone Trail down. Would probably do it in opposite direction unless you want a solid workout. Ledge Spring is very staircase-like but gave great views to the south. Grindstone was getting some work done so it followed an alternate route but an all around great hike for views and a workout!

View Jackson's Recording
Luis Sanchez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Feb 04 2020
HikingRocky

This was great trail many option on where to go. I took this hike towards the end of winter (Feb 3rd) all the leave on the trees had fallen and trails where covered in them but it was still very easy to maneuver, very well labeled trails. The trail had lots of inclines and lots of rock on the trail very scenic. This is a state park but there are no fees which is a plus. Over all amazing, lots to do i.e hiking, rock climbing, kids parks and more. Go check it out if you’re close by.

View Luis's Recording
Aaron Drysdale
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Dec 30 2019
Hiking

I did the trail a few days before new year’s day. I really enjoyed the trail and the views. The summit was very busy because you can drive to the top, but the trail was much quieter. I did the trail anti-clockwise and the trail up to the top was closed but it has been re-routed and you hardly notice. However you can follow the trail down as per how AllTrails shows it.

View Aaron's Recording
Marc Haakenson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 05 2019
HikingRocky
View Marc's Recording
Renee Wegener
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 11 2019
Hiking

Beautiful hike, amazing views. A mix of moderate and challenging with some rock climbing.

Kevin T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 01 2019
Hiking

The trail was much easier than I anticipated. My son and I hiked this trail in reverse order opting to hike up Pilot Mt first while our legs were still fresh. The only section that was moderately difficult was the Ledge Spring descent. There were great views at the top of Pilot Mt but not so many during the rest of the trek. We selected a great day to hike and the trail was very pleasant. We completed the trek in just under 4 hrs. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, with only about 1.5 miles left in our trek, my phone switched into battery saver mode and stopped tracking our hike.

Benjamin Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 06 2019
HikingMuddy

The first part of the trail had been burned recently so sort of a bummer and the only reason i gave it 4 stars instead of 5. The view at the top made up for it. One of my now favorites in North Carolina.

View Benjamin's Recording
Joel Wooten
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Mar 21 2019

Good trail!

Jess Asbill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Feb 19 2019
HikingMuddyRocky

It was really muddy since it just rained, had to change my socks twice on the trail. and no greenery because I went during the winter. However, the peak was beautiful and I would absolutely take the trail again. My dog loved jumping on the rocks and running through the water. Definitely a trail for a beginner who is willing to challenge themselves, which is what I did.

Scott Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 13 2019

Awesome trail run. Nice scenic views.

Joel Meyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jan 08 2019
Hiking

This hike was a really fun one, good workout with the elevation gain. I wasn't bothered by the big parking lot at the top--some people can't hike it, let 'em live. I'm just glad I'm able to hike up to the top, and if you can as well, then I recommend this one!!

Patrick Lulewicz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 07 2019

Lovely nature hike around the mountain. Climb is fairly steep. Overlook has a drive to the top which many people take instead of earning it. Pretty nice view. Limited parking around trailhead.

James Huskey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 18 2018

This is a great trail to explore. My sons and I have walked it several times before.

Thomas Kearns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 01 2018
Hiking

Went today with the dog. Got there around 8am and parking was a breeze, but it started filling up by the time I was getting back around 11am (Sunday). Parked at the start/end and did Grindstone->Ledge Spring trail (right at the fork)->Jomeokee around pinnacle rock and back down the way I came. It was pretty active with several groups climbing near the top, so it was cool to walk by them while they were doing their thing. There's a parking lot at the top, but I didn't pass it taking this route, so I don't know about the amenities there.

John Brubaker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 28 2018

We parked at the Corridor Trail parking lot, which makes this a 10.1 mile trail. It was good having a nice warm-up and cool-down with the harder bits in the middle. Made for a great day.

Simón P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 07 2018
Hiking

Not to difficult for the most part, but steep at the end

Brett Kaconas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 05 2018

Love this place.

Brian Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Dec 25 2017
Hiking

It’s alright. A fairly easy hike with an ok view at the top. There is also something that just pisses me off when I get to the top of a mountain to find parking lots and bathrooms. Probably won’t do it again.

Lindsey Rice
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 14 2017
Hiking

We went clockwise on the trail and up ledge to the knob, that stretch was tough. It was a great day hike! The dog loved it. Short distance from Charlotte, rewarding view at the top. 30 minute drive to downtown Winston Salem. We went to Foothills brewery restaurant there and it was fantastic! Their taste room which is more casual with food trucks is about 40 minutes away.

Ali Bennett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 21 2017
Hiking

I loved this loop! Although, next time I will definitely tackle Ledge Spring at the START of the hike instead of the end!

Tiffany Frost
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 02 2017

Kicked my butt but it was fun !

Ben Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Feb 22 2017
Hiking

This is a nice loop trail that I hiked clockwise (although it could be done in reverse as well). I would rate Mountain Trail portion of the hike as moderate and the best way to describe it is a nice hike through the woods. The Grindstone Trail is a bit more of a climb but it isn't too bad. However, the Ledge Spring Trail was more difficult in that there was quite a bit of climbing rock "stairs" and I would rate it as fairly strenuous. I started my hike around 9 am and had a nice lunch at the summit before heading back down to the parking lot.

Rami Madan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 18 2020
View Rami's Recording
Roy Cruz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 15 2020
Wes Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
View Wes's Recording
Zefang Wang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 10 2020
View Zefang's Recording