Pilot Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,817 feet Route Type: Loop

We started the trail going up the fire road to where it meets up with the Art Loab trail near the Deep Creek shelter. The road was long and pretty boring but I opted for it over the trail because there was plenty of water for the dogs. Once at the top, the views were disappointing but decided to take the Art Loab back and that trail provided way better views and scenery the whole way back down. The only downside, is there is no water source for dogs on the trail. If I had to do it again, I would have hiked up the Art Loab trail to the top of Pilot Mountain and then the same way back down. Aside from providing a water source for the dogs, the road was longer and meh..

Short distance but with 1800’ of elevation gain certainly will get your heart pumping. My hike yesterday March 22 2020 was very cloudy so views were obstructed, however I am sure on a pretty day the views are spectacular at 5000 ft!

Always a great payoff. Some snow on the trail. Road iced up where shady. Take it slow. If you have time keep going on the art Loeb and return on the road as time allows or head down farlow and come back up 475.

Great hike! Amazing views at the summit. If you'd like a less strenuous hike to the top, take the Art Loeb trail to the second service road crossing and take a right and follow trail up. Make a hard left onto the loop trail to the summit and finish out the more difficult part of the trail going downhill. Enjoy and happy hiking!

Not as hard as others are making it out to be (not technical at all - I would feel comfortable bringing dogs or kids). Solidly moderate with a good bit of elevation gain. The final switchbacks are a bit overgrown. Nice and shady, secluded with few other folks on the trail. A lovely time.

Went up the Art Loeb way which I recommenced its about 2 miles up with switchbacks but the other way down is a little longer but a lot easier. Summit is beautiful.

Sat Nov 03 2018

Reached the summit via the Art Lobe trail and it is definitely a challenge. Following the trail was not difficult even with all the switchbacks and fallen leaves, however the gain in elevation is no joke! I had to stop a lot on the way up to catch my breath but once you get to the top it is well worth it. The views are absolutely beautiful! Before hiking this trail I wasn’t sure how I felt about the road portion of the hike (I did that portion after reaching the summit) but let me tell you I was never happier to see a level walking path! All that being said, I will definitely be doing this hike again.

Tue Oct 16 2018

It is a moderate hike in the woods with very good views from the top of Pilot Mountain. Coming back on the Art Loeb trail can be difficult.

Fri Feb 23 2018

Like others have said, hiking up the mountain was a challenge! Came here for the workout and amazing views at the top.. exactly what I got. For those that don’t already know, the dirt road out there should be taking real slow, many pot holes and places to get stuck if it’s wet.

Sun Feb 26 2017

The first 1.5 mile (super elevation gain) is more difficult than moderate (that's a compliment- we love a good technical hike with great summit pay off views), but the loop back is a super easy old service road. Maybe they got to "moderate" averaging them together? A super plus was the low traffic. We hiked on a bright sunny, warm Sunday and saw only 2 other hikers, while looking glass and other trail heads were packed on the way in.

Wed Oct 05 2016

This is far from a moderate hike. Maybe I am a little biased because Pilot is part of the Art Loeb and we hit this portion as the later part of while hiking the AL... But this was you know what on my knees. I'm not a wuss, but this is definitely not moderate. I bring my 5 yo on moderate to difficult hikes all the time... I would not bring my 5 yo to this one

Wed Sep 21 2016

I love this hike. Just keep on climbing. Amazing 360-degree views of PNF from the top, including Looking Glass Rock, Mt. Hardy, Mt. Pisgah, and the Balsams. Easy to pick up some speed going down he back from the summit to Deep Gap. Like another reviewer said, the forest service road back is a little boring, but it didn't take anything away from the whole.

Mon Jul 18 2016

Parked at 475 and climbed first portion on Art Loeb. Then took the road to reconnect with Art Loeb for the decent. The Art Loeb portions of the trail are beautiful and a lot of fun but the road is pretty dull. There is a great clearing about half way through the loop that has excellent views off both sides of the ridge line. Nice place to stop for lunch.

Sat Dec 20 2014

Pilot - This trail is super techy (not for beginners).....rocks and boulders everywhere, mean and narrow switchbacks with drops into big rock gardens. This trail has some fast areas but most of the downhill run will be a bit slow due to the amount of rocks, boulders and rock gardens in your path. Pads are strongly suggested for this run..maybe even a full-face helmet (suggested but not needed). Be carefull of the switchbacks on this trail some of then come up on you quick, they're usually narrow and right on a ledge that will drop you off of the side of the mountain.

recorded Pilot Mountain Trail