Pilot Mountain Grindstone and Ledge Spring Loop Trail

Pilot Mountain Grindstone and Ledge Spring Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinnacle, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A moderately sloped trail that hikes through the woods to the summit. The trail will start across the road from the park office near the entrance.

Just completed this today. Great hike, great views at top. I would call this an out and back and not a loop because the path down is same as up. It’s listed as a loop.

Really enjoyed the hike.... it’s worth the trip. I drove just over an hour. I hike Crowders Mtn. and Hanging Rock Trails regularly and I’m putting this in the rotation. A couple of fairly steep sections but it’s not bad if you’re in decent shape.

Not as difficult as I thought it would be. The views are wonderful and the path is wide and clean.

Pretttttttyyyyyyyyy!

Hiked this trail on my 65th Birthday, nice challenge for an old man. Not really too difficult if you're in reasonable shape. Really nice views at the top and along the way. Easy to get to, about 15 miles N of Winston-Salem.

Really like this trail. Started at 830 am and no trail traffic. Moderate traffic at the summit but a beautiful clear day. This is a do again.

I would definitely go back again and again!

Worth the view

Good hike. Enjoyed the Ledge Spring Trail going up to Big Pinnacle. Got to watch several rock climbers do their thing.

best to hike early when the parking lots are empty. As we left the parking lots were so full they had a Ranger directing traffic in and out one of the lots.

Beautiful hike! Definately would do again.

Second time on this trail and I would do it again. First time was a clear day and the views were spectacular. Second time it was misty and cloudy. I felt like I was in the land of the lost. It really added a mystique to the trail that you don't get on a clear day. The first 2 miles are fairly easy then you start climbing the ridge line, watching your step and get that heart pumping. I opted to take the ledge spring trail and there are tons of outcropping ledges to test your fear of heights. Kept my dog on a short leash in those areas. If you want to burn 800 calories, kill 3 hours and have a great hike, I highly recommend this trail.

Beautiful views! Took the whole family...me, my husband, his service dog, 6 year old, 4.5 year old and 2 yesr old. It was a but rough for the 4 year old but there were plenty of spots to sit and relax on our trek. She said she could almost touch the clouds when we got to the top!

This was a really good hike, no leisurely stroll that's for sure but the top is worth the 3 mile incline. I went on the yellow trail at the fork.... it was more strenuous than the blue trail. You literally climbed rock stairs for half a mile.

one of my favorite hiking spots - so much beauty and a great work out!

This trail reminded me of how out of shape I am. : ) Nice trail, 4 stars for heavy traffic.

Long trail but not really difficult. The views are just so so IMO

Very rocky, but excellent hike with great views throughout. Get there early to find a parking spot.

Outstanding!!!! If you take the grindstone trail from park office you'll come to a fork in the trail. Take the yellow marker to the right. It will take you on a hike around the side of the mountain. Gorgeous folks....

Good hike. Easy to find, and navigate. Most of the trail I would rate as easy, because there are not many steep inclines, and 80% of it was a wide, well worn path. Some navigating of rocks, but nothing "strenuous".
Great to see rock climbers and good views from the top on a clear day.

Fun and easy trail, but once you reach the top it is very crowded even during the off season. Also just because of the parks location, there is noise pollution the whole time from the highway.