Owl Ridge Trail

Owl Ridge Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Asheville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really enjoyed this hike. Needed something easy that we could get a quick 5 miles in in the morning.

Let me first put a warning here. There is a $14 parking fee at the Arboretum (where the trailhead is) if you are not a member. There is a way onto the trail off the Blue Ridge Parkway, however it puts you at a weird starting point to loop and will change the mileage from what is in here. It is also not marked in any way there to know what trail you are on. We went ahead and became members for $50 so we can use the parking lot and explore the other trails and such.

Moving on. It is an easy trail, however you can get kind of turned around since you have to go through a gate, which puts you off of Arboretum property & into Pisgah to continue on the trail. I want to say it is a few miles in. You will see a call box by a fenced area. Go through that gate to find the map details on the other side. There is no sign outside of the gate. The trail continues and does do a decent ascent to get a bit of work out in before reaching the top. At the top, turn left and it will circle you back around to Hard Times Road. You will go through one more fence to get return to Arboretum property.

The trail is nice and easy. I do different levels. Very pretty and lightly traveled in the morning when we went. That is nice as it is quiet and relaxing. We will definitely be back and have marked this as something to do with visitors

Saturday, October 22, 2016

I completed this trail as part of a pretty loop around the perimeter of the NC Arboretum. When I visited in May, they had just posted bear sighting signs, adding a little excitement to the hike.

Monday, September 07, 2015

I don't think this area is actually part of the Pisgah National Forest, but my brother and I did go back into the woods a little ways. We hiked up what looked like a driveway and there was a clearing straight ahead that looked like a trail so we went through there. There were a lot side trails and the trail didn't look well used. This isn't a trail I would reccomend just because it sorta seems like it goes through private property. There was a nice area with lots of wild flowers and brush on a hillside where we could see the surrounding mountains very nicely, but we were near towers for electric cables.

recorded owl ridge