Old Mitchell Trail

Old Mitchell Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2 mile trail between the State Park Office and the Mt. Mitchell summit.

done in October, one of my favorite hikes!

Tough but fun

Hard but worth it. Way cooler to hike to the peak than drive up. We got water at the trailhead rangers station but all water after that was turned off (November).

Challenging but doable hike up from Black Mtn Campground, about 3000 ft. Very good water source and tent areas.

Hiked it. Loved it. Awesome trail.

My kids (11 and 13) and golden retriever had a great time and slept hard afterwards, win/win!

This trail is awesome but hard. I would definitely do it again. There is some rock climbing in areas.

Trail is technical but not hard. Lots of footwork but not much elevation gain on the way up. It almost felt like we climbed more on the way back to the trailhead. On the return, we went down and back up the Camp Alice Trail just to add some work to the hike. Very pretty spot with a stream where the Camp Alice Trail meets the Commissary Trail. I'd like to return and do the 6 mile trail as this trail did not feel like much of an accomplishment.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Amazing, going back this spring

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Challenging and rewarding. beautiful forrest pine smells along the way, changing landscapes, with the most amazing viewpoint at the top. Stunning!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Came out to summit Mount Mitchell, wanted to try the longer, 6 mile trail, but opted to test myself on the shorter, Old Mitchell Trail, and it did not disappoint. The altitude gave me a great workout, the trail itself was technical, but I had a blast. It made making it to the summit all the more worth it. Love this trail, and I'm planning to hit it again when I come back to do the 6 mile Mount Mitchell Trail next time.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Great hike. Very tough at the top but worth it. There are some great trails on the way down for some amazing lookouts as well. Mt Mitchell is a great spot!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Why drive to the summit when you can take a relatively short but strenuous trail from the park entrance/headquarters? Much more satisfying!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

I first hiked down then backed up on this Old Michell Traill. I enjoyed this strenuous and beautiful hike. This trail was relatively short which also is a plus.

Monday, August 29, 2016

We hiked up Old Mitchell Trail on August 27. The hike from the bottom, at the Park HQ, started off pretty easy, but grew in difficulty as we ascended toward the peak. The trail has beautiful mix of trees and rocky terrain which at times resembled a scene from a fairy tale. To say the hike is strenuous is accurate. By the time I reached the top I was exhausted, but I can't wait to hike it again.

Friday, July 29, 2016

The Old Mitchell trail has a lot of inclines and declines and is moderately difficult. We left out early in the AM and the overnight rain made the footing slippery at times but still manageable. We did make a mistake of returning on the Camp Alice and Commissary Trails. Stay on the Old Mitchell trail. The walk in the woods is better than the walk on a gravel road.

Friday, July 01, 2016

This trail is not for the faint of heart. Although there are some fairly easy sections most of it is strenuous. At least it is fairly short, as trails go. The trek to the top is harder than the trek down.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Great, short trail! Excellent if you want to hike but don't have a lot of time. By the time the pain sets in, you're almost to the summit.