Old Mitchell Trail

Old Mitchell Trail is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2 mile trail between the State Park Office and the Mt. Mitchell summit.

Wow! That was a challenging hike for me to do alone! The beattles at the top are annoying though.

This is strenuous and challenging trail. I took this trail and yes it was rocky and wet at many places. One just has to be cautious and take your time to get around some area's of the trail. I did enjoy the hike and the challenges it presented. I also took part of Camp Alice trail to the Commissary Trail. Camp Allice trail is also wet and strenuous. Hikers need to be careful on where to step due to the slippery surfaces. The Commissary Trail is a gravel road that gave me a breather from Camp Alice Trail.

Hiked old Mitchell and Camp Alice. I thought it was pretty strenuous but I am also not in very good shape plus I have knee problems. Not just a straight up hill climb, lots of ups and downs and rocks to climb over. There was a fair amount of ice on the trail although that is not what made it treacherous at times. I slipped and fell in the mud at least three times, may have been my bad shoes but I feel like the mud was deceptively slippery.I found coming back up the Camp Alice trail to be the most strenuous. Camp Alice ends with a lovely mountain stream with a small water fall.
The view at the summit was amazing, and it was a super clear day! I would definitely do it again!

done in October, one of my favorite hikes!

Tough but fun

Hard but worth it. Way cooler to hike to the peak than drive up. We got water at the trailhead rangers station but all water after that was turned off (November).

Challenging but doable hike up from Black Mtn Campground, about 3000 ft. Very good water source and tent areas.

Hiked it. Loved it. Awesome trail.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

My kids (11 and 13) and golden retriever had a great time and slept hard afterwards, win/win!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

This trail is awesome but hard. I would definitely do it again. There is some rock climbing in areas.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Trail is technical but not hard. Lots of footwork but not much elevation gain on the way up. It almost felt like we climbed more on the way back to the trailhead. On the return, we went down and back up the Camp Alice Trail just to add some work to the hike. Very pretty spot with a stream where the Camp Alice Trail meets the Commissary Trail. I'd like to return and do the 6 mile trail as this trail did not feel like much of an accomplishment.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Monday, February 20, 2017

Amazing, going back this spring

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Challenging and rewarding. beautiful forrest pine smells along the way, changing landscapes, with the most amazing viewpoint at the top. Stunning!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Came out to summit Mount Mitchell, wanted to try the longer, 6 mile trail, but opted to test myself on the shorter, Old Mitchell Trail, and it did not disappoint. The altitude gave me a great workout, the trail itself was technical, but I had a blast. It made making it to the summit all the more worth it. Love this trail, and I'm planning to hit it again when I come back to do the 6 mile Mount Mitchell Trail next time.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Great hike. Very tough at the top but worth it. There are some great trails on the way down for some amazing lookouts as well. Mt Mitchell is a great spot!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Why drive to the summit when you can take a relatively short but strenuous trail from the park entrance/headquarters? Much more satisfying!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

I first hiked down then backed up on this Old Michell Traill. I enjoyed this strenuous and beautiful hike. This trail was relatively short which also is a plus.

Monday, August 29, 2016

We hiked up Old Mitchell Trail on August 27. The hike from the bottom, at the Park HQ, started off pretty easy, but grew in difficulty as we ascended toward the peak. The trail has beautiful mix of trees and rocky terrain which at times resembled a scene from a fairy tale. To say the hike is strenuous is accurate. By the time I reached the top I was exhausted, but I can't wait to hike it again.

Friday, July 29, 2016

The Old Mitchell trail has a lot of inclines and declines and is moderately difficult. We left out early in the AM and the overnight rain made the footing slippery at times but still manageable. We did make a mistake of returning on the Camp Alice and Commissary Trails. Stay on the Old Mitchell trail. The walk in the woods is better than the walk on a gravel road.

Friday, July 01, 2016

This trail is not for the faint of heart. Although there are some fairly easy sections most of it is strenuous. At least it is fairly short, as trails go. The trek to the top is harder than the trek down.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Great, short trail! Excellent if you want to hike but don't have a lot of time. By the time the pain sets in, you're almost to the summit.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

A strenuous and beautiful hike. Quite rocky and rooted pretty much the whole way up. The last stretch is quite steep. Wonderful pay off with gorgeous views. The summit is heavily trafficked by people that drive up, but the trail is not as busy.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Very beautiful hike! many things to explore beside the trail. very beautiful views!!!

Friday, April 22, 2016

awesome hike with great views. went early in the day and had the park to myself which was a huge plus. Coming up towards the top I lost the trail a little when you merge with the MST. Everything worked out fine though. while at the summit I recommend doing the Balsam nature trail. make pretend your up north somewhere.

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Definitely one of the best trails I've been on. It is actually 4 miles and you'll feel every bit of it. The trail requires a little bit of climbing and gets very technical in some places. The forest is gorgeous and the view at the top can't be beat. this is a must do if you are in the area. There were major road closings which required a long detour to get to the trailhead from Asheville. Check the Parkway before you go.

Friday, January 08, 2016

One of my favorite trails so far. Went on it with my father who was huffing and puffing the entire way. Loved how rocky and steep it was it was just the challenge my father and I needed! Absolutely fantastic views of the mountains around us and being above the clouds was amazing, we couldn't stop taking pictures once we reached the summit.

Friday, January 01, 2016

Great hike with many views along the way. Was a long 2 miles; enjoyed all of them.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Fun but a little more than moderate.