Old Mitchell Trail is a 6.1 kilometer heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.1 km Elevation Gain: 319 m Route Type: Point to Point

2 mile trail between the State Park Office and the Mt. Mitchell summit.

icy

Took it from restaurant. Middle is pretty technical (roots and rocks), last part is steep up to summit. Tip for couples with one hiker and one reluctant hiker: Hike to top, send hiker down to get car, then pick up reluctant at highest parking area. We paced ourselves up, just under 2 hours. I got back to restaurant parking in about 40 minutes.

excellent trail - went from restaurant to Mt Craig and back. very technical at times and great stretches of gain with exposure.

One of the tougher trails we’ve been on. Lots of rocks and roots and several places you had to scramble up. But beautiful terrain in the red spruce and fir

closed

Did this with my sons. It was a good variety of terrain from rocks, forest, up hill, and down hill. It was challenging for my sons who were use to hiking. But it was a nice hike to the top of Mount Mitchell.

It was challenging but my husband and I did it. We are both seniors. It is possible if you are in good shape and been hiking for awhile. So glad we did it.

Great trail, was planning to start from base of mountain but got a late start. Very steep climb and a lot of scrambling... glad we did not do the whole 14 mi from the base.

recorded Old Mitchell Trail

Much rockier than expected, but great trail!

Beautiful trail! It was strenuous in some spots, but not too bad. most of the trail was covered in rocks and roots.

Perfect short hike to the summit!

The Old Mitchell ascent was more challenging than I expected with rocks and tree roots. The descent on Mt Mitchell is less technical than Old, but still shaded and heavy forest. Then you take a right onto the horse trail. Outside of the summit, the best views are on this largely flat, slow decline, section. Nice, basic, concession stand and gift shop at the summit.

Beautiful hike! Challenging but doable. We are novice hikers and in our mid 50’s but we made it to the top. Felt wonderfully accomplished! Highly recommend!

Very cool hike. Unfortunately when I got to the top it was starting to thunderstorm so I didn’t get to see the view.

Barely any views until the top, which you can drive to anyways. There’s just something about doing a hike that you can’t get to by car that this hike didn’t have. The trail itself was a good challenge

This trail was outstanding! It's very strenuous and the top is the hardest part. I didnt see many people at all. 10/10 rating and I would definitely do this again!

The hike was a little bit challenging but well worth it! We hiked with our goldendoodle, golden retriever, and 17 m old son. If you bring your pups make sure they are okay with scaling rocks and bring them water. The hike took us about 1.5 hrs total. The way up took more time than the way back. The beginning trail has overgrown grass that is pretty high so I was glad I wore pants. We also almost stepped on a snake. Once you get into the hike there is a lot of incline. It took us longer because of our entourage.

Very cool Trail and Forest! The last mile or so on way up is alot of stepping on and around Rocks. We were only ones on Trail.

We mistakenly started at the commissionary trail which was an incredibly dull gravel walk, but quickly made it back onto the Old Mitchell trail via Alice. The trail was basically a stream the entire route but not too strenuous or difficult to navigate for average hikers wearing appropriate rain gear. The forest was a gorgeous range of greens and the fog was quite magical. We'll surely go again. ☺️