Old Mitchell Trail

Old Mitchell Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

2 mile trail between the State Park Office and the Mt. Mitchell summit.

7 minutes ago

This trail is awesome but hard. I would definitely do it again. There is some rock climbing in areas.

Trail is technical but not hard. Lots of footwork but not much elevation gain on the way up. It almost felt like we climbed more on the way back to the trailhead. On the return, we went down and back up the Camp Alice Trail just to add some work to the hike. Very pretty spot with a stream where the Camp Alice Trail meets the Commissary Trail. I'd like to return and do the 6 mile trail as this trail did not feel like much of an accomplishment.

Amazing, going back this spring

Challenging and rewarding. beautiful forrest pine smells along the way, changing landscapes, with the most amazing viewpoint at the top. Stunning!

Came out to summit Mount Mitchell, wanted to try the longer, 6 mile trail, but opted to test myself on the shorter, Old Mitchell Trail, and it did not disappoint. The altitude gave me a great workout, the trail itself was technical, but I had a blast. It made making it to the summit all the more worth it. Love this trail, and I'm planning to hit it again when I come back to do the 6 mile Mount Mitchell Trail next time.

Great hike. Very tough at the top but worth it. There are some great trails on the way down for some amazing lookouts as well. Mt Mitchell is a great spot!

Why drive to the summit when you can take a relatively short but strenuous trail from the park entrance/headquarters? Much more satisfying!

I first hiked down then backed up on this Old Michell Traill. I enjoyed this strenuous and beautiful hike. This trail was relatively short which also is a plus.