Nuwati Trail

Nuwati Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nuwati or "medicine" in the Cherokee language follows an old logging road. It's easy and rocky, ending at Storyteller's Rock and a great view of the Boone area. Trail has stream crossings, big-tooth aspens and offers campsites. This trail follows the track of an old logging road. It's an easy but rocky hike, ending at Storyteller's Rock and a spectacular view of the Boone area. There are stream crossings, a solitary stand of big-tooth aspens and reminders of logging days gone by.

Closed due to storm damage.

This was a great little trail to pick up over summer. You're well-covered most of the way under a tree canopy that sometimes closes in to be charming and cozy. The trail itself is mostly uphill and peaceful. There's camping at the end (including a rope line to put your food out of reach). My biggest complaints are the folks who hike in with four itty bittys and a 16oz bottle of water to share between the lot of them, and the utter ambiguousness of the trail ending. It ditches into a series of small campsites, but has no definite end. I ended up traipsing around the woods trying to figure out if there was a view I was somehow missing, before giving up and scrambling up a few rock faces. The views were pretty decent, though challenging to track down.

I *strongly* suggest that if you have the time (and energy, snacks, and water), that you take at least a half mile jaunt up the Cragway Trail (you can access it a little ways back from the end of the Nuwati). The Cragway is steep, narrow, and strenuous, but the views even a little ways up are fantastic. If you're feeling ambitious, you can keep going until you hit the Daniel Boone Scout Trail, take a left, and you'll loop all the way back to the start of the Nuwati (I obviously suggest looking up that route on AllTrails so you're not going in blind).

Took about 1.5 hours round trip with some rest breaks. Wouldn’t call it easy - some flat spots but mostly steady incline. Coming back was a breeze, all downhill. The payoff view is great but you really do have to climb up some rocks to get to it. Reco hiking boots or shoes rather than sneakers but it’s still doable.

Went with my husband and our two doggos. It was tough in some areas with the dogs on a leash. I wouldn’t say this is an easy trail. Especially when you get to the end it’s pretty rocky and steep. I wore tennis shoes and I definitely should have worn real hiking boots with real tread. It was a really fun hike though & I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Beautiful- uphill one way, but slight- bridge over beautiful creek, goes to a huge rock you can climb to the top to for beautiful views. Probably about an hour 10 mins there and back walking casually.

Trails are clearly marked. There are different trails you can take off of this one if you want to lengthen your hike. Stream crossings, so plenty of water for dogs. Nice walk through the woods. Rocks and a little mud, but doable for a 56 year old with knee problems!

Nice, easy out and back hike to Storyteller's Rock. Will definitely do again when leaves fall. Add this one to the Cragway Trail and head back down D.B. Scout Trail for a good loop.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Nuwati means medicine....good name. The trail is an easy walk, peaceful and soothing. The weather was particularly fine this hike which only enhanced the overall beauty. There were some few scrambles especially at the last creek crossing...not a problem at all for the young but for the more seasoned hikers, more caution was needed.
Storyteller rock is an awesome sight. Absolutely huge! And quite the scramble to get up but the views were fantastic.
Just a great great hike.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

If you are young and in good shape, you will find this trail mildly challenging until the end. Then, you'll need to clamber up over some steep rocks to get to the view, but it's worth it. If you're middle-aged and out of shape like I am, bring good shoes and water because it's a decent challenge. I'm happy I hiked this trail, but my legs are sore this morning!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

definitely not an easy walk...be prepared for some wet rocky sections. It is fun and pretty

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Fairly easy trail, you can run all the way down on the descent. When you get to storytellers you'll see some kick ass panoramic views.

Friday, September 30, 2016

Great fall leaf walk out to the Boone Bowl view. Climb the rocks behind Storytellers Rock for the view.

Monday, September 05, 2016

we did the hike together with my husband and our dog. we picked this hike over other hikes because it was dog friendly and would also be easy for our dog. Wasnt an easy hike which gets boring. the trail was pretty rocky to make the whole hike interesting. the streams of water once in a while were bonus as well. at the end we had a little bit difficulty to find the Storyteller's Rock but it was worth to keep on trying finding it (yes, it is that huge rock pile that you should climb - there could be a better signing there to make it clear what to do to reach the Storyteller's Rock). the view from Storyteller's Rock was so gergous. we had our breakfast there. would definitely recommend it.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Great trail with connections on backside of grandfather mountain. Definitely more to explore but not too difficult

Friday, August 05, 2016

Also think moderate would be better. Great hike to take is take Nuwati > Cragway > Daniel Boone Scout Trail. About a five mile loop.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Definitely wouldn't label this one as easy. Rocky and rooty but fun nonetheless. Definitely climb to the top of storyteller rock for the view.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Did this hike with my nine year old today and it was awesome. Yes, it's rocky and there are a lot of roots but that made it fun for him. No whining or complaining for the entire trip. We thought we had reached storytelling rock but when we ran into the ranger on the trip back we realized we hadn't. There are several enormous rocks near what I thought was the end of the trail but apparently we hadn't gone fast enough. We ended at a very rocky water cascade that we were apparently supposed to cross and go a bit further. that would be the only part of the trail that might not be "easy" but we will go back and finish it in a few days. highly recommend!

Monday, May 04, 2015

I'm not sure why people say this is an easy hike up a logging road. This is a rocky trail through Rhododendrons that is beautiful! No logs every came down this trail and should be rated moderate, at least. Very enjoyable and wish we were here just a few weeks later to see all the blooms.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Finally did this one after being near it for 15 years. I hiked it to just explore the area and discover Storyteller's Rock. It is very normal to Cragway, which is a nice logging road. Beyond Cragway, the trail becomes steeper and more adventurous. Four campsites are also situated along that valley, which can often accommodate up to three tents, and have rigging set up for bear bags. Storyteller's Rock is a great outcrop of the Boone Bowl, and a nice scramble after a hike. This is a great backcountry trail to start beginners off in Grandfather Mountain.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Easy but rocky trail up an old logging road to a nice view and campsites. Also access to the Cragway trail that connects to the Scout trail that takes you to top of Calloway Peak. We had a beautiful and cool day starting out and the going is easy but you have to watch your foot placement with all the rocks and roots. Nice view of the valley from the end of the trail.