Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

North Harper Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(34)
Pisgah National Forest

North Harper Creek Trail is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Collettsville, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,410 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Wooded covered trail, waterfalls and nice open areas for camping This trail starts off on a well marked trail off of SR58. For the most part it is down hill until intersecting with the Mountain-to-Sea Trail which heads north. This is a nice gradual uphill climb to SR464. Go left and take the second trail south to reconnect with the North Harper Creek Trail.

Me and my 13 year old daughter made a 3 day trip out of this trail, I allowed her to read the map and compass and it was a very easy trail for her to navigate. It does require getting across the creek 19 times and several crossings you will get wet. Fishing is really good and several nice campsites along the way and breath taking views also

Great trail, although some areas were washed out. Beautiful along the way

My son ( 16) and I started this trail at the North end of the Falls. After 3 water crossings we reached the top of the falls where the trail intersects the Harper Creek Falls trail, To continue down the NHC trail you must turn right down a steep hill. There are very few blaze markings making it difficult to keep on track. At the bottom of this hill you have reached the falls, nice photo opp and across the creek a good camp site. The trail stays to the left of the creek hugging the creek banks until many additional water crossings. In June the trail was heavily over grown with many large trees down. I would not suggest bringing a dog or small hikers, we found this trail very intense and difficult to navigate. Several more camp sites are found between mile 3-4. We camped at the intersection of this trail and the North Harper Creek shortcut trail where you will find space for 3 tents. At the end this trail intersects the Harper creek trail.

Beautiful trail leading to a series of great waterfall. One of the great places in Caldwell county.

Thu May 02 2019

Awesome trail that you can take for as long as you want. Be ready to get wet though! Lots of creek crossings and not all of them are as simple as hopping from one rock to another. Lots of water and camping spots. Would recommend!

Fri Apr 19 2019

loved this trail waterfall was vary cool

Fri Mar 22 2019

Very easy trail!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Did not enjoy at all. Trail not marked well. No way my dog could do this trail unless he had a life vest on! Crossed over moving water more times than I could could and scale mtn walls due to trees blocking path. Never again.

Sat Jul 21 2018

Great Hike, would definitely do durning the hot summer months. So many creek crossings and small spots to swim!! I never really got hot and I started about 1 pm. Technically I’d rate a 6, the first mile is the hardest. Toughness I’d rate a 5 due to low elevation gains. Keep in mind I’m in great shape, logged 45 miles of trail in June and so far 28 in July so someone who maybe doesn’t hike as much might find it difficult. Plenty of beautiful fonta and flora in July. You can get a sense of the hike on my YouTube channel HikingFumbles. Happy Trails!!

Wed Jul 18 2018

This trail leads to the North Harper Creek Falls about 1 mile down the trail (tr. #266, blue rectangle marked). I would rate this trail as hard because it's mostly downhill with lots of exposed roots, slanted rock outcrops to carefully cross, and four Creek Crossing. When you get to the top of the falls make sure you go straight across to the south side to the trail that leads to the bottom of the Falls. But definitely worth the hike!

Thu May 10 2018

love love this trail, tons of water crossings (mid calf to mid waist in late spring) many waterfalls (many not on map) primitive campsites from one end to the other.

Sat Dec 30 2017

First time there for me. We came in from the trailhead at Kawana Road and encountered a total of four stream crossings to get to the base of the falls. Since it was the end of December we encountered a lot of ice which both me and my two dogs had some difficulty navigating since the ice was all on rockface. Air temperature was 34 and my stream thermometer showed 44 degrees. Most of the tread was pretty good though there were some areas that were a little trickier. All-in-all a great little hike and one I'll probably be back to do again in the fall.

Tue Aug 22 2017

Great hike. Well marked. Lots of water. Defiantly a workout One of my favorites.

Tue Mar 21 2017

Grate hike loved every bit of this trail multiple great camping location just a good hard trail

Mon Jan 02 2017

Great trail, we'll marked with blue blazes from the trailhead start. You will traverse the creek/stream a ton a times, I didn't count but it certainly is north of 10. Plan appropriately because water flow could determine how wet your feet get. Additional pair of shoes and socks could be needed. You immediately start a steep descent with some leveling areas. I followed the blue blazes till I noticed they were not there. Not sure if I veered of course or the trail markings go missing at some point (haven't noticed any other comments so this could easily be operator error). I followed the trail until I came to crossing I just wasn't willing to get wet. 39 degree day and I just didn't want to chance it! The return to the trailhead is a pretty consistent climb but it was well worth the sweat! I'll be doing this one again in the summer months for a little contrast!

Thu Dec 11 2014

Love,love, love it! Take a map. Beautifully remote area east of Wilson's Creek.

Sat Aug 17 2013

North Harper creek trail is certainly a good one. It does not exactly follow the route, but goes from FR 58 to the Harper Crk. trail. IT deserves a black diamond rating because it fords the paralleling river 18 TIMES! But, it is well worth it, and there are numerous cascades along the trail. Be sure also to check out Bard Falls, Chestnut Cove falls, and N. Harper Crk. falls. Good trail, just don't attempt it in flood conditions. Be prepared and be safe.

recorded North Harper Creek Trail