North Harper Creek Trail

North Harper Creek Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Collettsville, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Wooded covered trail, waterfalls and nice open areas for camping This trail starts off on a well marked trail off of SR58. For the most part it is down hill until intersecting with the Mountain-to-Sea Trail which heads north. This is a nice gradual uphill climb to SR464. Go left and take the second trail south to reconnect with the North Harper Creek Trail.

First time there for me. We came in from the trailhead at Kawana Road and encountered a total of four stream crossings to get to the base of the falls. Since it was the end of December we encountered a lot of ice which both me and my two dogs had some difficulty navigating since the ice was all on rockface. Air temperature was 34 and my stream thermometer showed 44 degrees. Most of the tread was pretty good though there were some areas that were a little trickier. All-in-all a great little hike and one I'll probably be back to do again in the fall.

Great hike. Well marked. Lots of water. Defiantly a workout One of my favorites.

Grate hike loved every bit of this trail multiple great camping location just a good hard trail

Monday, January 02, 2017

Great trail, we'll marked with blue blazes from the trailhead start. You will traverse the creek/stream a ton a times, I didn't count but it certainly is north of 10. Plan appropriately because water flow could determine how wet your feet get. Additional pair of shoes and socks could be needed. You immediately start a steep descent with some leveling areas. I followed the blue blazes till I noticed they were not there. Not sure if I veered of course or the trail markings go missing at some point (haven't noticed any other comments so this could easily be operator error). I followed the trail until I came to crossing I just wasn't willing to get wet. 39 degree day and I just didn't want to chance it! The return to the trailhead is a pretty consistent climb but it was well worth the sweat! I'll be doing this one again in the summer months for a little contrast!

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Love,love, love it! Take a map. Beautifully remote area east of Wilson's Creek.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

North Harper creek trail is certainly a good one. It does not exactly follow the route, but goes from FR 58 to the Harper Crk. trail. IT deserves a black diamond rating because it fords the paralleling river 18 TIMES! But, it is well worth it, and there are numerous cascades along the trail. Be sure also to check out Bard Falls, Chestnut Cove falls, and N. Harper Crk. falls. Good trail, just don't attempt it in flood conditions. Be prepared and be safe.

Saturday, October 08, 2016