Point to Point

old growth

First off, this is a great hike. The view at Lonesome Pine Overlook is amazing. The hike to the overlook is decent, mostly forest with a small creek running down the mountain midway through the hike. The 3 rating is mostly because there are so many great hikes in the area, I probably wouldn’t do this one again until I had done a few others in the area first.

The trail is moderately difficult and took me and my husband a little over 3 hours from the trailhead to the overlook and back. About a half mile in we saw a baby black bear in the distance then about a half mile from the overlook my husband locked eyes with an adult black bear on the trail about 50 yards away. In the few seconds that we saw the bear, my husband promptly messed his pants before the bear ran off. I then got to listen to my husband yelling, “You get out of here, bear!!!” at varying intervals for the remainder of the hike.

When we got to the overlook, the view was incredible and definitely worth the hike. My husband messed himself again at the sight and sounds of what we think was a timber rattlesnake near a rock just off the trail.

We were the only two on the trail on the way to the overlook, then passed 4 hikers on our way back down the trail to the trailhead. Overall, this was a great hike.

Disclaimer: my husband is the author of this post.