New Hope Red Route is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near New Hill, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 557 feet Route Type: Loop

Really enjoyed this hike! Stopped to fish twice and caught 3 fish!! Nicely shaded!!

Great views along the lake with rolling hills and benches to stop for a picnic. Did both the blue and red which equates to about 6 miles. Do stay focused as there are a lot of roots on the path.

Did this trail with my dog and it ended up being a little over 5 miles. Terrain is rocky with lots of roots so use proper footwear. Lots of up and down hillsides as well. Overall it was a great hike!

recorded New Hope Red Route

Good condition and well marked. A beautiful hike on a sunny winter Sunday!

great trail along lake. we only had time for for blue trail. well marked and clear. go for it.

We clocked it at 5.3 miles. This has a wonder amount of ups and downs for the average (like me!) hiker. About half way through the hike is a bench that overlooks the lake where enjoyed our lunch and the beautiful view.

Challenging start, a bit rooty but pretty neat run.

Pretty trail, and great for dogs. Kind of buggy - I prefer to do it with music in so I can’t hear them buzzing. We went on a Tuesday afternoon after work and saw 1 other person.

Great trail even when pouring rain.

The red trail is much better marked than the blue (easier) trail. Still you can combine the two and get a really nice hike in. Mostly shaded and the elevation changes make it a good work out. Note that you will be charged $7 for parking. Also, bring your doggies and let them enjoy as well.

Besides the cover charge, amazing trail

Sun Mar 17 2019

Decided to run it. Great weather, nice trail

Sun Jan 27 2019

The trail overall is great. A little muddy at the trail head though. Views of the lake are amazing.

Sat Jan 19 2019

My favorite trail so far in this area. It’s rated as moderate but depending on what shape you’re in it might be easier or more difficult. Lots of up and down and it was nice being on an actual trail as opposed to black top. One downer is the trail was hard to find in a few places and was muddy in a few spots although easy enough to walk around the mud. Highly recommend it.

Wed Jan 09 2019

enjoyed this hike just before Christmas

Wed Jan 09 2019

I enjoyed this trail. I did get a little lost down by the water when the trail was flooded, but it took me about 15 minutes to figure it out. Other than that, I was back on trail. Was a nice variety of ups and downs. Crossed a few creeks and it wasn't too bad with all the rain we've had. Was muddy in spots but not too bad.

Tue Sep 18 2018

Although the trail is well marked on the trees, this is a difficult trail run to follow because the trail itself is covered. This made it difficult to tell where I was going and it was also difficult terrain. The views of Jordan Lake though are what make me want to go back!

Sat Jul 21 2018

Good trail, good workout, well maintained. Be prepared though because it's up and down constantly. And per my wife's Fit Bit it was a little over 6 miles from the parking lot through the Red loop and back to the parking area.

Tue May 08 2018

great distance and canopy!

Sat Mar 31 2018

I made a second trip in less than a week because it seemed a shame that this wasn’t rated for trail running. It’s a bit narrow and rocky, so maybe not ideal for running. I really enjoyed the steep climb right at the start (heading left). The small streams are fun to jump and there was at least one downed tree to hurdle. I was there at 8 am sharp on a holiday weekend so I had the trail all to myself, which may be the key to any trail running here since it looks like it’s a busy area in general.

Sun Mar 25 2018

Very well maintained trail that was clearly marked throughout. I hiked with my roommates on a Sunday afternoon in cool weather and we were surprised to see so few people. The trail keeps Jordan Lake in sight throughout with little else than water and trees by way of scenery. Some decent climbs through a few sections so “moderate” is probably about right for the difficulty rating. There were a couple of slick patches with rain the night before. Not too muddy though and easy enough overall to keep a brisk pace while discussing time travel paradoxes.

Tue Dec 26 2017

Nice hike

Sun Nov 12 2017

Thu Aug 17 2017

Starting in early afternoon, this hike took us through pine stands and hardwood forest, around many of the fingers of one section of Jordan Lake, with lots of ups and downs, crossing creeks and runoffs. The trail is suitable for trail running, but there are some rocky and muddy areas. The trail starts at the parking lot above the larger boat ramp parking lot. We went counterclockwise. The trail starts with both the red and blue trail markers - the blue trail is a 2.7 mile loop and the red trail adds another 2.7 mile loop to make it a 5.4 mile hike. The blue trail hikes mostly through Area A and the red through Area B, which is more interesting, has more hardwoods and is higher in elevation. We encountered lots of people walking their dogs on this trail and if you like a walk in the woods, it's a nice hike; if you prefer wide open ridge hiking like me, this is not the trail for you. Still we enjoyed it on a 50 degree winter day as line of sight is not encumbered by all the leaves on the trees. Was a good workout.

Tue Apr 18 2017

Beautiful, well marked, very quiet trail. Lots of swimming places for my pup. Highly recommended!

Sun Mar 26 2017

An unforgettable day, scenic views, moderate path, friendly fellow travelers, great weather, friendly dog hiking trails. I will recommend take some water, your family, dogs and discover this place. You will impressed.