New Hope Red Route

New Hope Red Route is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Merry Oaks, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

great distance and canopy!

I made a second trip in less than a week because it seemed a shame that this wasn’t rated for trail running. It’s a bit narrow and rocky, so maybe not ideal for running. I really enjoyed the steep climb right at the start (heading left). The small streams are fun to jump and there was at least one downed tree to hurdle. I was there at 8 am sharp on a holiday weekend so I had the trail all to myself, which may be the key to any trail running here since it looks like it’s a busy area in general.

Very well maintained trail that was clearly marked throughout. I hiked with my roommates on a Sunday afternoon in cool weather and we were surprised to see so few people. The trail keeps Jordan Lake in sight throughout with little else than water and trees by way of scenery. Some decent climbs through a few sections so “moderate” is probably about right for the difficulty rating. There were a couple of slick patches with rain the night before. Not too muddy though and easy enough overall to keep a brisk pace while discussing time travel paradoxes.

Nice hike

Starting in early afternoon, this hike took us through pine stands and hardwood forest, around many of the fingers of one section of Jordan Lake, with lots of ups and downs, crossing creeks and runoffs. The trail is suitable for trail running, but there are some rocky and muddy areas. The trail starts at the parking lot above the larger boat ramp parking lot. We went counterclockwise. The trail starts with both the red and blue trail markers - the blue trail is a 2.7 mile loop and the red trail adds another 2.7 mile loop to make it a 5.4 mile hike. The blue trail hikes mostly through Area A and the red through Area B, which is more interesting, has more hardwoods and is higher in elevation. We encountered lots of people walking their dogs on this trail and if you like a walk in the woods, it's a nice hike; if you prefer wide open ridge hiking like me, this is not the trail for you. Still we enjoyed it on a 50 degree winter day as line of sight is not encumbered by all the leaves on the trees. Was a good workout.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Beautiful, well marked, very quiet trail. Lots of swimming places for my pup. Highly recommended!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

An unforgettable day, scenic views, moderate path, friendly fellow travelers, great weather, friendly dog hiking trails. I will recommend take some water, your family, dogs and discover this place. You will impressed.

recorded New Hope Red Route