New Hope Overlook Blue Route

New Hope Overlook Blue Route is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moncure, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail begins near the bathrooms at the boat ramp. The red loop is 5.4 miles and the blue loop is 2.7 miles in length. This is the most challenging trail with several steep hills. New Hope Trail is our newest and most strenuous hike. The trail begins near the bathrooms at the boat ramp. The red loop is 5.4 miles and the blue loop is 2.7 miles in length. The red loop includes the blue loop. This is the most challenging trail with several steep hills. Hikers will enjoy sweeping views of the lake, mature hardwood forests, groves of mountain laurel, lush creek crossings and a variety of wildflowers and ferns.

Great trail and perfect length and challenge for a nearby trail. Beautiful view of the lake at the lookout point.

very nice trail.

Good trail with lots of short elevation changes. Great views of the lake.

Always a great run. Fridgid New Years Eve morning!

we did not pay a parking fee on Thanksgiving weekend.

Great trail! Just FYI it is a $7 parking fee!!

Nice hike with pretty water views. I enjoyed the fact that it was more of a climbing hike than just walking on flat topography. Very good hike if you wanna wear out the dog!

Nice wooded stroll with plenty of openings to the lake.

Trail was pretty good and well marked. Our 5yo made it but barely. It's quite hilly. Wish this app told you if trail is free or paid as I forgot Jordan Lake requires $7/car.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Completed with two dogs in tow with no issues. Plenty of great views of the lake as well as a little challenge from the steeper portions.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Friday, March 10, 2017

First time out. I saw an Bald Eagle flying just overhead.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Two loop options- 2.7 and 5.4 miles. Nice elevation changes throughout the hike. Good views of the lake in many places, at least in the winter. Nicely marked trails. Good for dog walking.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Minor detail folks. Which boat ramp? I had to hunt, to find it was the one off of Pea Ridge Rd. Will be heading out today and providing update.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Our family of five, our dog and some friends with two additional kids hiked the shorter blue trail for 2.8 miles in and out. We enjoyed it and not very many people this time of year. Our six year old tripped once on a root but recovered quickly when there was no blood. We will go back.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Entire route is 5 miles and total elevation around 700 ft. Great hike. Probably not as nice during boating season. Bring water as it's definitely moderate difficulty as rolling with lots of roots and rocks. Having pole(s) is a plus. V enjoyable hike!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Great views. Not worth spending 7 bucks to hike

Friday, March 25, 2016

Liked it a lot. It was my first time and I will definitely go back.

Friday, November 27, 2015

Had a great time. A good workout with some beautiful views of the lake.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Nice

Friday, January 30, 2015

Starting in early afternoon, this hike took us through pine stands and hardwood forest, around many of the fingers of one section of Jordan Lake, with lots of ups and downs, crossing creeks and runoffs. The trail is suitable for trail running, but there are some rocky and muddy areas. The trail starts at the parking lot above the larger boat ramp parking lot. We went counterclockwise. The trail starts with both the red and blue trail markers - the blue trail is a 2.7 mile loop and the red trail adds another 2.7 mile loop to make it a 5.4 mile hike. The blue trail hikes mostly through Area A and the red through Area B, which is more interesting, has more hardwoods and is higher in elevation. We encountered lots of people walking their dogs on this trail and if you like a walk in the woods, it's a nice hike; if you prefer wide open ridge hiking like me, this is not the trail for you. Still we enjoyed it on a 50 degree winter day as line of sight is not encumbered by all the leaves on the trees. Was a good workout.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Quiet hike with no fee today. Easy hike on the red trail. Knocked it out with my 11 year old son in just over 2 hours.

Friday, January 10, 2014

No entrance fee in the winter. Very quiet and peaceful place to hike.

Monday, November 04, 2013

This is a fun day hike, completed it in late September with my fiance and my parents (both in mid-50s, in good shape). Note that it will cost you $6 per car to get into the Jordan Lake State Rec Area, so make sure you have cash! The 5.7mi loop has some elevation changes, but it really isn't too difficult. I wore regular trail running shoes, boots aren't necessary if it hasn't been rainy. Great view of Jordan Lake on the overlook.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I took the shorter trail ( blue) at 2.7 mi. And it took me about 1 hour and 20 minutes with a few brief stops. Decent hike thru the woods with some nice views of the lake.

Friday, October 04, 2013

It's a nice hike with little ups and downs towards the end of the loop trail. I Did the red loop trail (~ 5.4 miles) which took approx 2.5 hours to complete with few rest stops in between. The trail starts with the blue loop trail and then continues to be the red trail. The first overlook which is part of Blue trail is the best compared to the other overlooks on the trail.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Great local hike; one of the better ones in this area. It's now one of my new faves.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

This is a great trail. Single track, logs to step over, and nice views of the lake. Wanted to find Sassafras but didn't see any especially without the leaves on the trees. Add 5.4 miles by going the whole route or do the 2.7. Great hike! Moderate for elevation changes and a few logs across the path.
Notice: The map top is West!