Neusiok Trail Northern Half [CLOSED]

moderate 84 reviews

Neusiok Trail Northern Half [CLOSED] is a 22.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Havelock, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 22.6 miles Elevation Gain: 324 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

partially paved

bridge out

closed

Note: The trail from Pine Cliff Recreation Area to Highway 306 is temporarily closed due to the impacts of Hurricane Florence. For more information, please see https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recarea/?recid=48492. It is suggested that visitors bring a medical kit as there are lots of snakes and ticks in this area.

Trail is closed Jan 2020

Due to hurricane Florence, the trail is closed until at least February 2020. Apparently there are flooded areas and many downed trees. This is all according to a sign posted by the forest service.

I am of the folks who help to maintain the trail. The trail has been closed since Hurricane Florence. The National Forest Service has only allowed work on the trail to begin a few weeks ago. While the trail is now clear from the Oyster Point Trail Head to Dogwood Shelter, the Forest Service has reopened the trail. The trail will be muddy after a rain as it is a swampy area. Ticks can be found all year on this trail.

Definitely one of my favorite Eastern Carolinian trails. Very rewarding hike between Pine Cliff and Hwy 306 "Ferry Road"..... And its part of the Mountains to the Sea Trail from Clingman's Dome to the Banks.

Great trail for any level!

I hiked south from the parking lot on Ferry Rd. I did 5 miles and the trail was muddy in places but totally passable. One spot i had to go off trail to get around a very swampy spot. I was told north bound is a mess still from the hurricane.

Mon Jan 14 2019

Trail is undulating and cross crosses the creek a number of times. Relatively easy hike, but we were only able to complete the mid-section of the trail due to limited time and trail closures. Hurricane damage is still all over this trail. But trail is well marked.

Sat Jan 12 2019

*The one star is solely to bring attention to the fact that most of this trail is closed* The northern half of the northern trail is closed per NCCF. You CANNOT get to Pine Cliff via vehicle on the dirt road (access stops at the parking lot on the left) and any other activity beyond the barrier is prohibited. This stands from Pine Cliff all the way to the Dogwood entrance, which seems clear to hike through towards the southern half. Hopefully it will open up soon, there is a phone number for the Carteret office that I’ve been meaning to call

Sat Aug 18 2018

amazing

Mon Jun 18 2018

Super bummed with this trail. We left from the Oyster Point campground, and it was great for about .35mi...until it was completely washed out. No warning or notice from the trail start. Definitely had potential but poorly maintained and would have been nice to have a heads up that it was closed or something. Hopefully we will get an opportunity to try it again.

Mon Apr 23 2018

I enjoyed in the cold weather, i dont think i would ever hike this when its warm out or bug season This section had some impressive boardwalks.

Sat Apr 14 2018

App didn’t follow trail but the views were pretty good and had Military jets flying over head a few times.

Thu Mar 22 2018

Local beginner hiker and I just found this trail. I am in love. It is definitely muddy after the rain and I would not call it stroller or wheelchair friendly. Especially the northern section along the river. There is definitely erosion after the recent storms. Not that I minded any of that and can’t wait to do the entire trail. I like that I can hop on in several different areas when I am out solo and for just a few hours. Using my poles I got quite the workout even on the flat areas. Enjoy!!

Sat Mar 03 2018

Had a blast on this trail, it is very diverse in the different biomes that you experience. The northern half is very beautiful running along the beach for a few miles, it also has a good amount of elevation change. The southern half is a little easier however if you go after there has been rain be careful of mile 5-4 or 4-5, depending on the direction you are going, it is extremely wet and muddy. The camps are well spaced apart and are great spots to set up for the night.

Thu Feb 22 2018

The views are absolutely beautiful. Very peaceful hike. Did not find it to be too challenging but just the right amount of a work out. Well worth the visit even if you don't do the whole trail.

Wed Jan 31 2018

Great overnight backpacking trail.

Mon Jan 15 2018

Our troop did the entire 22 mile trail on Jan 13-14. We camped halfway along the trail around Dogwood Shelter as the shelter was occupied. The first half of the trail was very challenging to stay dry as there was a lot of water from the recent snow and rain prior to our arrival. Bridged walkways were very slick which provided a balancing challenge with a 45lb pack. One part of the trail was completely flooded and it was difficult to get around without your shoes getting wet. The second half was worse and it got to a point where we just gave up trying to stay dry and just trudge through the water to keep our pace. All in all it is a nice trail to hike if it’s a drought during the winter. I would like to come back when it’s not so water logged.

Sun Dec 24 2017

Have walked this several times and it's an easy hike. It can be isolated at times & we've heard wildlife when it's late afternoon (never seen any gators though). Great for dogs and kids, easy hike. Can get really muddy and have sitting water in spots, so be aware when bringing kids.

Sat Oct 28 2017

Rough start through the beach area for about a mile, the walking in the sand worked us over before getting on the wooded trail which was really hard to find. We ended up over shooting the turn by about a half mile but once we got back on track it turned into a very nice trail. Loved the trail otherwise, we are looking to hike the entire 21ish miles of this trail!

Fri Oct 06 2017

We did this trail last weeknd. It was an easy trail fun trail. Beautiful view along the water and the forest.

Mon Oct 02 2017

Lots of fun! We didn’t take the traditional trail since part of it was covered in water & we were walking through big spiderwebs. Pretty much did the whole hike on the beach which was lovely. My puppy definitely had a fun time! The weather was perfect today too!

Sun Jun 18 2017

This was a fantastic thru-hike starting at the northern trail head near cherry point and heading 21 miles south to oyster point. It offers a little bit of everything; rolling hills, beach, flat open views, swamp land with foot bridges, salt marsh and more. The shelters are in pretty good shape (There are 3 along the trail) and each of them are accompanied by a water pump so that's pretty convenient. One major thing to prepare for, the southern section of the trail is a little undeveloped (Still blazed clearly though) and you will be sloshing through about 2 miles of knee deep mud/standing water. Didn't hurt my pace too much, but a few people on the trail were somewhat surprised by that obstacle. Overall it's a great beginner trail, or a good 2 day hike to keep up your skills.

Tue May 16 2017

Great hike with awesome views

Sat Apr 22 2017

One of the best trails in the area, with beautiful secluded beaches.

Fri Apr 21 2017

We had a blast

Wed Mar 08 2017

Great place to take my dogs and take pictures. Nice place to just hang out and relax.

Tue Feb 21 2017

troop 74 out of Snow Hill did a 8 mile day hike on the north end had a great day. Had lunch at Cooper Head landing