Neusiok Trail Northern Half

Neusiok Trail Northern Half is a 22.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Havelock, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

bridge out

It is suggested that visitors bring a medical kit as there are lots of snakes and ticks in this area. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5188171.pdf

amazing

Super bummed with this trail. We left from the Oyster Point campground, and it was great for about .35mi...until it was completely washed out. No warning or notice from the trail start. Definitely had potential but poorly maintained and would have been nice to have a heads up that it was closed or something. Hopefully we will get an opportunity to try it again.

I enjoyed in the cold weather, i dont think i would ever hike this when its warm out or bug season This section had some impressive boardwalks.

App didn’t follow trail but the views were pretty good and had Military jets flying over head a few times.

Local beginner hiker and I just found this trail. I am in love. It is definitely muddy after the rain and I would not call it stroller or wheelchair friendly. Especially the northern section along the river. There is definitely erosion after the recent storms. Not that I minded any of that and can’t wait to do the entire trail. I like that I can hop on in several different areas when I am out solo and for just a few hours. Using my poles I got quite the workout even on the flat areas. Enjoy!!

Had a blast on this trail, it is very diverse in the different biomes that you experience. The northern half is very beautiful running along the beach for a few miles, it also has a good amount of elevation change. The southern half is a little easier however if you go after there has been rain be careful of mile 5-4 or 4-5, depending on the direction you are going, it is extremely wet and muddy. The camps are well spaced apart and are great spots to set up for the night.

The views are absolutely beautiful. Very peaceful hike. Did not find it to be too challenging but just the right amount of a work out. Well worth the visit even if you don't do the whole trail.

Great overnight backpacking trail.

Our troop did the entire 22 mile trail on Jan 13-14. We camped halfway along the trail around Dogwood Shelter as the shelter was occupied. The first half of the trail was very challenging to stay dry as there was a lot of water from the recent snow and rain prior to our arrival. Bridged walkways were very slick which provided a balancing challenge with a 45lb pack. One part of the trail was completely flooded and it was difficult to get around without your shoes getting wet. The second half was worse and it got to a point where we just gave up trying to stay dry and just trudge through the water to keep our pace. All in all it is a nice trail to hike if it’s a drought during the winter. I would like to come back when it’s not so water logged.

Have walked this several times and it's an easy hike. It can be isolated at times & we've heard wildlife when it's late afternoon (never seen any gators though). Great for dogs and kids, easy hike. Can get really muddy and have sitting water in spots, so be aware when bringing kids.

Rough start through the beach area for about a mile, the walking in the sand worked us over before getting on the wooded trail which was really hard to find. We ended up over shooting the turn by about a half mile but once we got back on track it turned into a very nice trail. Loved the trail otherwise, we are looking to hike the entire 21ish miles of this trail!

Friday, October 06, 2017

We did this trail last weeknd. It was an easy trail fun trail. Beautiful view along the water and the forest.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Lots of fun! We didn’t take the traditional trail since part of it was covered in water & we were walking through big spiderwebs. Pretty much did the whole hike on the beach which was lovely. My puppy definitely had a fun time! The weather was perfect today too!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

This was a fantastic thru-hike starting at the northern trail head near cherry point and heading 21 miles south to oyster point. It offers a little bit of everything; rolling hills, beach, flat open views, swamp land with foot bridges, salt marsh and more. The shelters are in pretty good shape (There are 3 along the trail) and each of them are accompanied by a water pump so that's pretty convenient. One major thing to prepare for, the southern section of the trail is a little undeveloped (Still blazed clearly though) and you will be sloshing through about 2 miles of knee deep mud/standing water. Didn't hurt my pace too much, but a few people on the trail were somewhat surprised by that obstacle. Overall it's a great beginner trail, or a good 2 day hike to keep up your skills.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Great hike with awesome views

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Great hike. Nice views.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

One of the best trails in the area, with beautiful secluded beaches.

Friday, April 21, 2017

We had a blast

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Great place to take my dogs and take pictures. Nice place to just hang out and relax.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

troop 74 out of Snow Hill did a 8 mile day hike on the north end had a great day. Had lunch at Cooper Head landing

Sunday, February 19, 2017

peacefullest

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Nice cool fall day. Did 13 miles, 8 out on trails through woods on blue and yellow trail sections. Marked really good with tags paint markers. No wildlife seen, trail great shape. Walked one of the old secured roads back up to beach area to parking lot. Lots of cars in lot. Would do more miles if ever back in this area.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Great trail. If you are coming from Newport you can park at the county dump and hop right on the trail from the road. I'm not sure why the directions here send you a mile away from the trail.
Boardwalks are awesome, chances to see wildlife are plenty, and the trail is never crowded

Friday, October 07, 2016

Awesome trail, boardwalk sections are

Saturday, June 11, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails right along side of the river with an Atlantic breeze.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Always great

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Beautiful trail. Lots of loops so you can make it a day hike or keep going and head to the mountains. Some good geocaches too.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Love this segment of the NC Mountains to Sea Trail! Make sure you don't go after a heavy rain unless u like wet boots. The ticks are fierce, definitely bring DEET. We've hikes this 3 times and still haven't seen any gators under the boardwalks like Backpacker Magazine suggests. LOL

Thursday, February 05, 2015

The Neusiok Trail makes a nice 42 mile yoyo style hike. I did the trail this January for the third time. Parked at the North end close to sunset and night hiked to the first shelter which it's about 4.5 miles. The next day I hiked 33 miles which got me to Oyster Point campground and then back to the same shelter. On Sunday it was an easy 4.5 miles back to the car. The trail was really wet this time.

I've hiked the trail in January, March and September. The winter it's definitely the great time to hike this trail. Camping on the beach is also really nice.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

This is the Southern section of the Neusiok Trail. It starts at Oyster Point and go all the way to Cherry Branch road. It intersects many roads so you can do sections. May want to arrange to drop a car or do round trips. Lots of ticks, but I think I picked them up when I accidentally got off the main path and ended up on an animal trail. Here is a description from activerain.com.

Difficulty: Moderately easy on some short trail sections. The entire trail is more difficult with uneven terrain.

Length: 22 miles

Facilities: Restrooms and campgrounds at Recreation Area. 2 open front shelters with fire pits.

Directions: Pine Cliff Recreation Area is located off Cherry Branch Road and can be reached off of NC 101. Mill Creek Road entrance is near the Newport River.

Wooden bridges over some low-lying areas. Several miles of dry trail are available. "Neusiok" is the name of a Native American tribe that inhabited the banks of the Neuse River. Many reminders of human history: barrels, jars and copper coils-the remainders of stills blown up by law enforcement. Several old graves along the trail. Carnivorous plants such as the Venus fly trap and a variety of orchids. Views of the Neuse and Newport Rivers. Trail winds through hardwood ridges, pine flat woods, cypress swamps, pocosins and salt marsh. Wildlife viewing includes songbirds, wild turkeys, hawks, ospreys, eagles, ducks, geese, woodpeckers, bobcat, white-tailed deer, raccoons and opossum. Watch for venomous snakes and alligators in NW region of trail.