Point to Point

This was my first overnight full backpacking trip in a long time. I had done two day trips of the trail in different sections prior to my thru hike. Both day hikes were in the northern section. My thru hike was in may and the Lord blessed me with mild and somewhat cool temps during the day- high sixties. Also there was no rain but I did get wet anyway- more feet wet. The trail in the southern section between 3 and 6 was very wet. I tried to skirt around some the parts of the trail that were inundated but I eventually gave up. I was wearing water proof hiking boots but that did not help. Once I emerged onto the FR (straight section with the old boat) hiking north, the trail was a lot dryer. The southern section was very scenic along the sound and not as densely wooded. I camped at a nice shelter with a water pump just south of Hwy 101. The next day I got up early, had a nice breakfast and then broke camp. North of Hwy 101 was a very nice and dry hike. I did have to traverse on a few boardwalks. There I spotted a few black water snakes- not poisonous. When I got north of Ferry Rd there were some short ups and downs and this section traversed thru some nice old growth hardwood forest. Eventually I was hiking along Cahoogue Creek and had some nice water views. It fed into Havelock Creek and then into the Neuse River. I stopped at another nice shelter with a water pump and another nice view of the water- The Cahoogue was getting wider. The shelter was clean and it faced west towards the water. As I kept walk north I was getting closer to The Marine Corp Cherry Point Air Station. Jets were taking off and it was a great display of our military's might. I felt safe that day. The final leg was along the Neuse River heading east along the shore. Great water views here and a view of the Cherry Branch-Minnesott Beach Ferry. This trail is best done from October through the beginning of May. During the summer I am sure it would be hot muggy and buggy. I did luck out as late as I went.