Nathaniel Greene Trail

Nathaniel Greene Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Greensboro, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There is room for 4-5 cars on Old Battleground trailhead. Lots of parking and facilities at Lake Brandt Marina trailhead.

Definitely a moderate trail; lots of flat straight-aways with the occasional steep incline in-between, great place to go for a jog. Wonderful scenery and great views just yards away from Lake Brandt. There was enough tree coverage overhead that even though it was raining, I barely felt it.

I, personally, walk my dogs off-leash on this trail, for the same reasons I'm sure others do-- it is a bit less trafficked than other surrounding trails, and biking is not allowed here. I can speak for myself in that, I've given my dogs off-leash privileges because I've taken the appropriate measures to train them in proper hiking etiquette, both on and off leash. I'm well aware this is against leash laws, but my dogs have never, ever given me a reason to take this privilege away from them. If they did, they certainly wouldn't be off leash.

Generally, people are very kind and accepting about this here, despite the previous review and general sentiment on other surrounding trails. Any negative encounters I've had are almost always dogs mirroring their owners; that is, if you immediately tense up and exhibit reactionary, anxious (and often rude) behavior, so will your animal. If you calmly call out and politely ask me to leash my dog for the moment we cross paths, I'm more than happy to respectfully oblige.

There's plenty of trail around for everybody to share, in all capacities. Mutual respect goes a very long way.

Loved the trail ~ DID NOT LOVE the fellow hikers who had their dogs off-leash. We have a leash law in Guilford County, however you would not know it hiking this trail! What are these people thinking? I was hiking with my dog, who is CGC certified, and felt very uncomfortable when we met 6 dog owners, all different and not together, with their dogs off- leash. This is against the law!! Will not hike this trail again!

We started at battleground trail head. I liked starting here and taking a break at the marina (bathroom and vending machines are there) We are new to trails and found this one pretty easy, there were maybe two hills that were tough. Fun for our dogs too!

Cool easy trail to hike or run. Very nice this time of year.

Challenging at times. Very clean and well kept. Highly recommend it.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Loved this trail. Good mix of minor elevation changes, rooted terrain and scenery. Not much wildlife, but a solid walk in the woods at twilight. Will definitely come back for the Turkey trail option.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

This was a nice long hike to the Marina and back. Rugged terrain but very peaceful except for the squirrels:) The markers were on point! I would definitely do it again!

Thursday, March 09, 2017

We hiked from Lake Brandt Marina to the greenway on the Wild Turkey trail then back to the marina on the Nathaniel Green trail. There are several water views and the trail is easy to complete.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Nice hiking trail with moderate elevations. Beautiful trees and squirrels everywhere. Plenty of benches for resting if needed.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Very nice trail with nice views of the lake. I saw a couple of Great Blue Herons at the edge of the water. There are a couple of steeper inclines but they are short.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Another favorite in the Bur-Mill area. Part of the Mountains to Sea trail. I've hiked this trail from the trailhead at the Marina and from the other side at the trailhead off of Old Battleground Ave. A pretty small parking area off of Old Battleground but I've never had a problem landing a spot. Can't go wrong starting at either trailhead. Really well maintained and nice views of the lake. Rolling hills with some flats. I also like it because it's just for hikers. Even though I love mountain biking too, this is a nice trail for those looking to enjoy walking without being hardcore "on the look out".

Monday, October 03, 2016

I started at the Old Battleground trailhead, hike all the way to Lake Brandt Marina, then followed the Wild Turkey Trail and back to the Old Battleground trailhead. The loop was 7.3 miles. I enjoyed scenery and tranquility of the trails.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Great hike! It's scenic because it runs along the lake. Bring your dog for some trail running. Just watch out for other walkers and runners.

Friday, June 10, 2016

Great trail but definitely not easy. Lots of hills but enough straight-a-ways to catch your breath. Overall I loved it.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Great trail. Strenuous in places. Nice views of lake along the way.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

three section to this trail
from old battleground trailhead to A&Y greenway is pretty flat. From greenway next 1.5-2.5 miles is pretty hilly with lots of up & down. last 0.75 mi to lake brandt marina is less vigorous again.

restrooms, other facilities at marina

note map shows trailhead off cotswald which is in a wrong place...you can get to A&Y greenway near there and take greenway to middle of trail, but real trailheads are on Old Battleground and at Lake Brandt Marina

recorded Nathaniel Greene Trail