Mouse Creek Falls via Big Creek Trail

Mouse Creek Falls via Big Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waynesville, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This is the most beautiful hike and very easy. There are many springs along the trail and ways to get sidetracked and go “off trail.” Be warned. Midnight hole and the falls are NOT marked. The only way you know you’re at the falls is by the hitching posts for the horses. The picnic area is also beautiful and located near Baxter Creek. Also bring water shoes. I regret not bringing mine as the water was very inviting.

My wife and I took this hike the day before Mother’s Day. It was absolutely beautiful and we did get in to cool off in Midnight Hole. If you go about .2 past the falls there is a bridge over the water that we were told about by some other hikers. It is well worth the extra time. All in all it is a wonderful hike that basic hikers shouldn’t have any trouble with

Beautiful trail, peaceful spot to eat lunch at the falls

Wonderful, peaceful trail without dodging dogs.. Very nice!

Love this hike, it is beautiful! The hiking path is clean and wide and unobstructed. The hike for the most part follows the river closely but at times the trees obscure the view of the water. I wish there were markers to let you know when arrive at the falls because I have missed it and walked right passed it and arrived at the next falls. You do have to “hunt” for it along the river if there is no crowd to tip you off. No dogs are allowed on the trail, which stinks. I’d really love to take my 4 legged child with me. We always clean up after our pet and they enjoy the outdoors and need exercise also.

I've hiked this trail many times over my life. It's a pretty easy trail, and the views are awesome. Also, on the way up, you'll find a great swimming hole with tall rocks to jump off of. Always a summertime favorite of mine!

Easy 5.2 mile hike to campsite 37. Great waterfall views and great campsite. Plenty of firewood and places to get in the water.

My fault misreading that dogs were allowed on this trail. Of course, it was in January when we visited and when we got to the trail to the waterfall, we discovered no dogs allowed. We walked the creek area and still enjoyed the little rapids.

Great trail! But the waterfall is at the 2 mile mark so no need to keep going further in search of a different waterfall.

Amazing trail.

I love this easy hike, and the Midnight Hole and Mouse Creek Falls are worth your time!
Happy New Year outdoor lovers!! :)

Great hike with lots of views of the river. Parking is minimal but worth it. The falls are picture perfect and there and several other areas where you can get down the the river.

Loved this trail. Great views along the river to Mouse creek falls. beautiful spot

Beautiful trail

We loved this hike. We only hiked about 2 miles out and then back but there were some great sights. Midnight Hole shouldn't be missed. Great little swimming spot with a fun rock jump. Mouse Creek Falls was beautiful as well. The hike wasn't difficult but definitely a memorable one (especially if you jump into the freezing water).

Go to midnight hole! One of my favorite spots in the smokies hands down.

It was a solid little hike, not very difficult. Midnight hole is awesome for swimming. Very large crowds on this hike

Great hike down a well-worn path good for entry-level hiking and horseback riding. Beautiful views of the river and forest the entire route. A little too heavily traveled for my liking which is why we knocked off one star.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Loved it!!!!!!

Sunday, April 09, 2017

NOW for wildflowers! The start of this trail features a wide variety of flowers, maybe 20 or so and the creek is really running. Good rapids and falls.✌

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Very easy hike on an old logging road that's a gradual slope. I hiked the first week of April after a big rain the day before and the creek was surging and so was Mouse Creek Falls. There were wildflowers everywhere! It would be great if Mouse Creek falls were marked because other less spectacular falls could be mistaken and cause hikers to stop short and miss the real falls. The only landmark is the horse tie up bar at the falls. I recommend going on past the falls to the old carriage bridge. There's a nice pool below this bridge and you can easily go down and spend time on the boulders there for a picnic or snack.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

This was our first trip to Big Creek.The trail is wide and in good shape, there are quite a few rocks on the trail and a few roots, as a matter of fact it should be called a rocky trail. You hike near the creek most of the way and there are many huge boulders along the way, lots of Rhododendron too!You have to be careful where you step because there was horse manure all along the trail.I was told that this used to be a railroad bed that went out to the sawmill at Crestmont. We did not see any signs of old structures along the way, would have been interesting to know where all the people used to live..hard to imagine because of the vast number of boulders and rock along the way. The midnite hole was very pretty but we did not go swimming. The waterfalls (Mouse Creek) was a little unspectacular but probably because of the lack of rain in the region.The hike to the falls was a gradual uphill all the way so the return was downhill on the way back. Overall a very nice and interesting hike. Also the restrooms at the parking lot were very clean and weren't pits!

Monday, October 03, 2016

Did this hike while camping at the Big Creek campground. As others have said, it is a well maintained trail with a gradual incline. Found midnight hole off to the left and enjoyed the view at the falls. Continued up just a little further past the falls to where the bridge crosses Big Creek. All in all, a good hike for all ages.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Easy hike. Heavily traveled by many going to swim in the Midnight Hole. Nice walk in the woods but not anything really interesting to see other than the falls

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Good trail great for all ages. I would recommend stopping at the waterfall

Thursday, August 04, 2016

We did not have enough time to make it up to the falls, but stopped and ate lunch at the jumping/ sliding rock there. Beautiful walk following the river

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

My kids first time on this trail and they loved it! swimming was cold and good way to cool off.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Love this trail! I have hiked it several times. Be sure to take your swimsuite and stop in at the Midnight Hole.

Friday, June 17, 2016

It was pretty easy, but we never really knew where the destinations were because there weren't any signs. There were lots of people coming to and from the swimming hole so we found a swimming spot off the trail that we had to ourselves. It was still beautiful and fun

Friday, June 10, 2016

This was such a lovely hike! Restroom facilities at the trail head were very clean. I was looking for a trail where I could gain some miles, but nothing too strenuous, and I got exactly what I was looking for. The sounds of Big Creek follow you the entire way, and there are many areas off to the side of the trail where you can get down close, or into, the rushing water. Midnight Hole is not marked, but it's approximately 1.8 miles into your hike. I went as far as the foot bridge that crossed the creek, making it very close to a 5 mile round trip. Between the off shoots from the trail to get really close to the creek, or at Mouse Falls, there are many nice places to sit on a large boulder and have a snack and relax yourself to the sounds of nature. The incline/elevation gain is so gradual, you don't feel like you've kicked your own a$$, in order to have meaningful hike. It's a great trail for families/kids too...it wouldn't be to hard for the little ones to keep up with the pace. This trail has many rocks, several ankle twisters, so be careful and I'd suggest using trekking poles, if you have them.