Mountains-to-Sea Trail: Folk Art Center to Haw Creek Overlook is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Asheville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The hike begins at Folk Art Center on the Mountains-to Sea Trail heading North to an area just above the Haw Creek Valley Overlook. The hike is a steady up hill climb to the top of the mountain above Haw Creek Valley. Trail follows Blue Ridge Parkway roadway North from Folk Art Center MP 382.0 to mountain just above Haw Creek Valley Overlook MP 380. There is a lot of roadway noise on this trail from traffic traveling on the Parkway. Lots of wild mushrooms and some wildflowers.

Too close to the road. Mileage not marked well so I had no idea it was as far as it was to a “view”-when I literally could’ve parked not even 1/2 a mile and walked up for the view. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the hike but I didn’t go until later in the day because on All Trails it says around 3 mikes and it’s much longer than that. It’s also mostly all UP, so be prepared for that. All in all from the Folk Art place it took us 2 hours there and back. We stayed at the lookout rock for about 10 minutes but the rest is all hiking.

The view is amazing but if you don’t want a pretty rigorous hike park closer.

The view at Haw Creek is worth it! It’s beautiful. Nice hike, I will say the first half is uphill. But it’s great. The highway is buzzing through most of it but I just put in my iPod and thought.

(from kid's point of view) We didn't do the whole trail, but not our favorite. a road crossing and walking alongside the BRP - kind of nervewracking with 2 dogs and 3 young kids. Road noise and lots of invasive plants (English Ivy, Wisteria) which might improve as you got further in.

Perfect half day hike! Partially along BPW

Great views and good out and back.

Enjoyed this trail but highly disappointed that it was so close to the road and all that noise was constant. Felt like it really took away from the experience.

Great views. Very well marked.

The marking of the overview could have been more clear, though we did find it and were able to enjoy a drink and great view up there. This was my husband and I’s very first hike, it was a good hike, with great views but the elevation was more challenging than we anticipated. Overall, great hike!

if you can get out and hike in the snow it is a winter wonderland..parkway is closed so park at gate and walk in to trail or stay on parkway..beautiful!!!

always something different to see with the changing seasons..we headed towards the Folk Art Center and then trek to Rattlesnake Lodge..great hike with changing elevations. Bring water for you and your 4 legged friend although you can get water at Folk Art Center

Loved the trail ... close to the road but well marked ...

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Nice woodland trail. The BRP noise is very distracting.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Decent trail. Never found the red dot or the overlook which would have been nice.

Friday, June 02, 2017

There are several road crossings. Something I would liked to have known beforehand.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

this was a very challenging hike and something to think about. it has a steep ascent and the views are ok. take you time because its a ling haul to the top.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Hiked this one today from the folk center to cravens gap. About 10.6 round trip. The overlook at about the 2.3 mile point was the best part of the trip. It is marked by a red paint spot on the south side of a large tree. Long hike with a lot of up.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

No vistas on the piece that we hiked. Nice to get into the mountains from Asheville, great fall colors , but limited views from the trail.

Friday, October 07, 2016

Great overlook, moderate hike. Quick, easy, close to town.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Good hike -

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Nice trail. Close to Blue Ridge Parkway, so some traffic noise in spots. We didn't mind, though. Good walk if your time is limited and you want to stay close to downtown area.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

We could not find the tree with the red heart and black dot in it @ the 2.3 mile point from the Folk Arts Center. Path near roads may bother hiking purists.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A nice hike from the Bull Mountain area. Worth the view from the Haw Creek Overlook!

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Nice easy hike. Great view of Haw Creek Valley. Serious poison ivy for early in season.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Rolling hills and not very strenuous. My gps logged the mileage at 6.8 and my Apple Watch logged 6.4. Both are definitely more than five, so it was a little long for the first of the season.

Monday, October 12, 2015

The trail was good, very easy. It was about 6 miles there and back and a good brisk walk with the dog, but the trail runs right by the parkway and fenced off property, so it didn't quite feel like I was escaping the city. Good for a quick hike, but nothing scenic or quiet

Saturday, September 26, 2015

I've run this trail lots of times. It's super fun, with a little difficulty (for running, hiking not so much). We live in this area and love this trail. When you run though, keep one eye on the ground as there are several spots with rocks and roots that can trip you up.

Have fun!

Friday, September 25, 2015

I've done this hike several times -- I guess it was the first "long" hike I did when I moved to the area 10 years ago. The overlook is the reason to do the hike. The trail is a roller, with some pretty steep (but short) sections. But it's a relatively easy hike that families can do.

To get to the trailhead, park in the Folk Art Center lot and then head past the building itself through the little intepreative trail. The hike starts at the right end of this trail -- easy to miss, but don't be detered. There will be some substantial poison ivy as the trail hugs the Parkway...long pants are definitely a good idea. Then a little steep section, followed by a downhill that gets you to the Parkway. Cross the road CAREFULLY. The trail rolls along until you reach a sharp left-hand turn in order to avoid ending up in someone's back yard. The last climb out will take you to the overlook which is marked by blazes on a large tree.

Like most of the "overlooks" in this area, it's a rocky outcrop. Careful, especially during wet weather. In the spring, flame azalea and grandfather's beard are worth looking for.

The last time I was driving on the parkway, a large bear crossed the road right at the overlook. So, just be aware that it's their home.

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Great, easy fun little trail. Old gun range and cool water tower thing if you take alternate route. Nice walk for dogs too. ☕️

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I used to hike and run MTS daily during the week when I lived in East Asheville and this was one of my regular routes.