Satulah Mountain

Satulah Mountain is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Highlands, North Carolina that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Most of the hike is basically walking up the street in a neighborhood which isn’t terribly exciting. However, the trails at the top are quite beautiful and have fantastic views. It’s too bad you can’t drive and park by the trail entrances.

Not sure who rated this as an easy hike... yes the beginning of the hike from downtown Highlands is on a paved road but it's extremely steep and you climb on a windy straight up route for well over a mile. You see some beautiful homes with amazing views then come to a gravel road then finally the final wooded trail path to wonderful panoramic mountain views. My husband and I are both in our 50's and in decent shape and we found the hike definitely moderate at least. Passed several other hikers and no one carries water which surprises me! I recommend doing so!

Couldn't find the trail head. Very confusing.

Saturday, February 09, 2013