Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mountain to Sea Trail: The Chimneys and Table Rock Mountain [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(60)
Linville Gorge Wilderness

Mountain to Sea Trail: The Chimneys and Table Rock Mountain is a 15 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Linville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.0 miles Elevation Gain: 4,064 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

NOTE: It has been reported that the parking lot is closed so you have to hike about a mile straight up to reach the trail head. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Best backpacking in NC! The parking lot is closed so you have to hike about a mile straight up to reach the trail head. Weather was great during the day, but windiest night of camping in my life! If anyone goes on this trail and the table rock parking lot opens back up leave a post on here and let us know

This review is actually for part of the MST we did because like another poster, we thought we were trespassing trying to get to the trailhead if Shortoff. The homeowners have put up signs on Wolf Pit Rd that says private drive. After talking to the owner of CBS Sports in Morganton (if you haven’t been there, go by - they are great) told us that it is a state road and the signs are for their private drives off of Wolf Pit. We not knowing this actually picked up a trail about a half mile down the road and took that up. The section we hiked was great- moderate to slightly strenuous. I think we got to parts of the Shortoff but turned around about 3.6 miles in. It had a section that paralleled the river which was beautiful. Also, on your way up don’t forget to turn around to see the gorgeous view of Lake James below.

Probably the coolest trail I've ever hiked in the state of NC. It's also worth it to take the Olson trail on the way up Shortoff for the views and the Jeep trail on the way back down to save some time. We made it back to the car in 7 hours including a few stops along the way. The hike out of Chimney Gap is the hardest part but it doesn't last too long. Water is available at certain parts of the trail but I'd advise to bring enough so you won't need to run off trail to find it. I used about 2 liters.

This was one of the hardest hikes of my life! My Garmin clocked it at 16 miles (not 15 listed here). It's straight up for the first mile to see some amazing views and then about 3 miles of flat hiking. The next 3 miles are very steep up and down terrain that you will need a walking stick to support you. This part of the trail doesn't seem to be traversed often as there is a lot of plant growth. There is a camp site around mile 5 where you need to pay attention to the trail markers because the trail does a 90* turn to the right. Very easy to overshoot. Once you get pass the very steep climb to the Chimneys, you'll walk pass the parking lot / bathrooms area and head up another mile to the top of Tabletop. Couldn't stay too long because I had to be back at the shortoff trail head before the sun went down. The whole trek took me 6 hours and 46 minutes which includes water/scenery breaks. If you are looking for a grueling, adventurous, and rewarding hike, this is it!

This trail is absolutely amazing. The hike along the ridge is second to none in North Carolina

Took us about 2 hours to get up top with lots of breaks. We were backpacking up with about 30 lb packs though. Great view!

I did the trail beginning at the Table Rock Mountain picnic area. Went up TRM, back to parking lot, and then on my way to Shortoff. I camped at the sites on Shortoff and turned around there instead of continuing to the Wolf Pit area and trailhead. Beautiful views on the cliffs of Shortoff. Little pond good for filtering water. Lots of thick brush in the burn scars. Definitely worth it for the cliff views at Shortoff.

Great views with some challenging climbs. We had a lot of fun. Bring plenty of water.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Fun trail.. you can run most of it... 15.5 miles to top of table rock and back

Sat Feb 02 2019

This area is why I moved up here. A hike you can do multiple times and still not get over the views. Started at Edwards Camp Site around 8:30-9 had a nice lunch on Table Rock and was home before dinner. Wouldn’t expect my small dog to be able to do some sections without assistance but for big dogs this would be a blast.

Wed Mar 21 2018

I’ve backpacked in the gorge probably 30 times, and this is one of my favorite trails I’ve ever done. I started at 9 am after camping near the trailhead, summited at about 2:30pm, and was at an amazing campsite on top of shortoff mtn. by 7pm. I took my time with the views and didn’t rush, also stopped for dinner on the trail. You definitely want to spend at least one night on this one- there are tons of great campsites along the whole route, and if you can catch a sunrise it will be well worth it.

Sat Dec 02 2017

I enjoyed this trail immensely. Pretty challenging and fairly technical in some sections. Be ready for lots of incline and some beautiful ridge walking. I started at 10 in the morning, took a bunch of breaks (waiting for friends to catch up), and finished by 5:45 at night.

Thu May 18 2017

nice and challenging weekend backpacking place.