Mountain to Sea Trail: The Chimneys and Table Rock Mountain

Mountain to Sea Trail: The Chimneys and Table Rock Mountain is a 15 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Linville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I’ve backpacked in the gorge probably 30 times, and this is one of my favorite trails I’ve ever done. I started at 9 am after camping near the trailhead, summited at about 2:30pm, and was at an amazing campsite on top of shortoff mtn. by 7pm. I took my time with the views and didn’t rush, also stopped for dinner on the trail. You definitely want to spend at least one night on this one- there are tons of great campsites along the whole route, and if you can catch a sunrise it will be well worth it.

I enjoyed this trail immensely. Pretty challenging and fairly technical in some sections. Be ready for lots of incline and some beautiful ridge walking. I started at 10 in the morning, took a bunch of breaks (waiting for friends to catch up), and finished by 5:45 at night.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

nice and challenging weekend backpacking place.

recorded the Chimneys