Mountain, Ledge Spring, and Grindstone Trail Loop

Mountain, Ledge Spring, and Grindstone Trail Loop is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pinnacle, North Carolina that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Start at the main office. Go across the street and left on the marked trail. Follow the marked Mountain Trail (nice moderate hike through the woods) until you get around the perimeter of the mountain to the intersection with the Grindstone Trail. Go right and you will start a moderate climb up. When you come to the intersection with the Ledge Spring Trail, veer to the right. Once you explore the top a bit, you can come back down the Grindstone Trail and you will end up at the parking area for a ~9 mile loop.

We went clockwise on the trail and up ledge to the knob, that stretch was tough. It was a great day hike! The dog loved it. Short distance from Charlotte, rewarding view at the top. 30 minute drive to downtown Winston Salem. We went to Foothills brewery restaurant there and it was fantastic! Their taste room which is more casual with food trucks is about 40 minutes away.

I loved this loop! Although, next time I will definitely tackle Ledge Spring at the START of the hike instead of the end!

Kicked my butt but it was fun !

This is a nice loop trail that I hiked clockwise (although it could be done in reverse as well). I would rate Mountain Trail portion of the hike as moderate and the best way to describe it is a nice hike through the woods. The Grindstone Trail is a bit more of a climb but it isn't too bad. However, the Ledge Spring Trail was more difficult in that there was quite a bit of climbing rock "stairs" and I would rate it as fairly strenuous.

I started my hike around 9 am and had a nice lunch at the summit before heading back down to the parking lot.

Saturday, April 23, 2016