Mount Pisgah Trail

Mount Pisgah Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Canton, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Mount Pisgah area trails include several trails along the Blue Ridge Parkway and the moderate and popular out and back trail to the summit of Mt. Pisgah, featuring some spectacular views. Mount Pisgah area trails include several trails along the Blue Ridge Parkway near and to the summit of Mt. Pisgah - the moderate and popular 3.2 mile RT out and back namesake trail. Easily visible from most of downtown Asheville, Mount Pisgah's 5721' summit supports the transmission tower for WLOS-TV, channel 13. The summit trail is a rocky, steep climb through hardwoods, rhododendron and mountain laurel tunnels, to 360 degree views (which are somewhat subdued because of the TV tower). Starting at the back of the parking area on the south side of the parkway, the initially flat and rocky trail traverses over the Buck Spring tunnel across the BRP through high-elevation hardwood forest. The first half of the hike gains only about 200', while the other half gains 521'. The steep part of the trail is essentially a very rocky staircase through mountain laurel thickets and stands of varying hardwoods. At the summit stands the transmission tower for WLOS-TV, channel 13, and an observation deck. The tower subdues the view, but the view is still spectacular, especially to the south and west. The parking area, the Campground & Pisgah Inn are easily visible to the south; the Shining Rock Wilderness to the west; the Great Smoky Mountains farther to the west; and to the northeast, the city of Asheville, Craggy Mountains, and Mount Mitchell. Connecting trails adding views and mileage include the Buck Spring trail, the 3.6 mi. one-way Pilot Rock Trail, the Little Pisgah Ridge Trail, the 7.4 mile Laurel Mountain Trail, as well as many miles along the Mountains-to-Sea and Shut-in trails. The 16.3 mile Shut-In trail is the original route from George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estate to the Buck Spring lodge, his mountain getaway.

I loved this hike. I’m rehabbing after knee surgery and had no problems, but it was a good work out. The views were spectacular. Definitely a trail that you have to watch your footing due to leaves covering the rock step areas. Enjoy

We took the shorter 3.2 mile trip to the tower and Loved every minute of it. My older kids(9 and 6) took this trail like champs but the 2 year old had to be carried to make any time. He still clambered up a good portion of it though with a close hand from me which made for a good nap on the way home. In short. very nice hike but not the best for the youngest kids unless you dont mind carrying them along which does make for great workout.

Nice climb. Great views.

Awesome trail, steep at some points but the view was worth it

The hike itself challenging if you walk without stopping. Although the view nice but the electric poll destroys nature beauty

Attempted this one today and decided to turn back. I think I just timed it poorly after a recent cold/storm front the night before last, but on the approach the trail was so covered in a thick blanket of leaves that I could barely follow it- much less determine whether each step would put me on solid ground, rocks, roots, or mud. Given how clumsy I am, I decided to try it again another time!

if you start from Pisgah Inn it's roughly 6 miles round-trip to the summit and back. The last mile up to Summit is steep. beautiful views all along the trail but there is a giant radio tower at The Summit which impedes some of your view. This Trail can also get very crowded in tourist season so I recommend going early as possible to avoid the large family groups that clog up the trail.

I loved the hike. Went on a foggy day and did not have much to look at, but loved what I did see. Taking my grandkids (ages 10,9,8 and 7) on hikes is the greatest. They loved the challange.

We hiked today with cloudy and overcast weather but it was still a great hike. We started at the Inn parking lot to make it 5 miles RT (not 3) and took the Mountain to Sea trail until we got to an overview parking lot (not on the main part of the heavily trafficked BRP). We followed the road just about a hundred yards to another parking lot, where you cross the road to get on the Mt. Pisgah trail. It was pretty well marked. We kept following the Mt Pisgah signs. From there it is about a mile and a half up to the summit, which has a lookout tower that is a great lunch spot (and a great view when it isn't cloudy). Took us about an hour and 20 or 25 minutes to reach the top. It is a nice climb, good workout. On the way back we followed the All Trails path that leads to the campground parking lot, and it was harder to follow because it is broken up by a picnic area and some parking lots, and you have to find the trail again on the other side of the lots. It is also more overgrown than the Mountains to Sea Trail. But both ways were beautiful woods, wildflowers, rhodedendrons etc. and we thoroughly enjoyed it. One tip: if you want to shower after, the campground across the street from the Pisgah Inn will let you use their hot showers for $3! They were nice and clean too. We will be back!

Trail was being worked on while we were there, adding some rock steps. very well maintained. it's a moderate hike because its uphill without much of a break, but then coming back was rather easy. the Antenna tower was a drawback , views were nice, but for me too many people. If starting at end of parking area trailhead, up and back was 3 miles. enjoyed, but would do the Deep Gap trail at Mt Mitchell before doing this one again .

The first section from the picnic area was somewhat overgrown and had some uncleared blowdowns. Once on the main trail it was typical wide trail clearing. Some rocks at first as the grade increased so did the rocks and steps. Difficulty increases as you near the top but 360 degree views were worth the effort for me!

I havent done this entire trail, but I got on it at the parking area right near the top and did the last bit the the summit. Great workout and the views are gorgeous! It would ave been prettier if I had done it in the spring or summer and not in late fall when the leaves were already off the trees. Definitely worth it, and make sure you bring a windbreaker because it does get windy up there

A climb but worth it! Mostly stone steps surrounded by lush forest of oaks, birch, rhododendrons etc. Beautiful if you are nature lover. The view from the top is 360°except for the view blocked by the WLOS radio tower. ugh

After descending from the Mount Pisgah Trail we opted for the Campground Trail back to the store parking lot where we had started (taking Buck Spring Gap Trail up to Pisgah). The campground trail was lush, cool and shady with beautiful mosses, germs and wildflowers. It was a foggy Monday in late August. Might get a lot of traffic noise at a busier time though.

Hiked from the picnic area at around milepost 407.5. Only clocked us in at about 3.5 miles to the summit of Pisgah and back. Pretty heavily trafficked but a nice hike. A great strenuous push for the last 1/2 mile to the top.

We started at Pisgah Inn at the trailhead at the campground entrance road, then hiked up to the top of Mt. Pisgah and made a loop of it by taking Buck Spring Trail back to the inn. It was a six-mile loop that we enjoyed - kids included. The trail wasn’t as busy as we expected for a Friday afternoon in August and we had the deck at the top of Pisgah to ourselves for a bit. Lots of butterflies along the trail right now. Can’t beat the views and the opportunity to visit the restaurant!

Loved this trail! One of the best maintained trails in the area, and unbeatable views from the top. We parked at the Mount Pisgah trailhead and the hike was only 3 miles round trip. Our little Jack Russel pup loved the rocks to scramble over! I'd rate this as moderate.. the incline isn't too bad until the summit and even though it's rocky, it's very doable.

Sweet hike with fun rocks to step up the whole way. Got hailed on right when we reached the top so didn’t get to take in the view a whole lot. Well taken care of trail.

My wife and I hiked this trail today on my 63rd birthday. Great hike! We parked at the country store at Pisgah Inn, crossed the road and hit the trail down by the campground. This portion is narrow and a little weedy (beware of some nettle weeds). If your skin suddenly starts burning and itching, that’s why. I always pack Benadryl spray and it will help but all symptoms will be gone in a few minutes. I love this type of trail, with lots of rocks to climb and the view at the top is awesome. As always, good hiking shoes, water, snacks and a hiking stick a must for most of the mountain trails, including this one. Go early to beat the crowds!

From the Pisgah Inn parking lot, the trail is 5.4 miles. The trail starts on the campground side and follows the parkway to the main trailhead. If you travel this way, you will cross the entire length of the picnic area parking lot before the trail resumes on the other side. This part of the trail is NOY heavily traveled. If you want to shorten your hike, park ar the mt Pisgah parking lot and the RT will only be 3 miles. The summit has some fantastic views and is worth the effort. The tower at the top is somewhat of a nuisance, but it does not limit your views, besides, it is appreciated on those rainy days when you just sit and watch the telly!

Trail is moderate because the first part is pretty easy and the last part is more difficult. Lots of blooming flowers this time of year with tons of butterflies. Overall a pleasant hike with good views. You can shorten the hike by going from the parking lot instead of the Inn should you choose to.

Hiked from the campground. Really pleasant hike. I hiked on a Friday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised it wasn’t very crowded. Great 360 views at the top.

Nice hiking trail for a day hike. Heavily trafficked- arrive early to beat the crowds and get a parking space

Hiked it for 75 years. It never gets old!