Mount Mitchell Trail

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mount Mitchell Trail is a 11.4 mile out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen. The trail is primarily used for birding, hiking & walking and is accessible year-round.

I'm 57, in decent shape, can run an eight minute mile, and my yellow lab and I made it up and back in about 5 1/2 hours. Words of advice: if you're going after a rain, wear good waterproof hiking boots because much of the trail is essentially a washed out gully that turns into a muddy stream. Very slick roots and rocks made the hike a bit treacherous, and even with a great pair of Keen boots I slipped multiple times and fell (kinda slid down) going downhill once. Definitely worth doing for the 3,600ft ascent but prefer other trails much more (Grandfather Profile Trail comes to mind).

I really enjoyed the challenge of this hike! Not impossible by any means though! Great views along the way

Hiked the Mount Mitchell Trail from Black Mountain Campground this weekend. Don't let the other reviews on the difficulty scare you away from this hike. While it is an uphill climb it's extremely doable even if your not in great shape. I would classify it as more moderate than a difficult hike as most people claim. There was even a gentlemen carrying a baby in a backpack and other small children who made the climb. Also, be prepared for the swarm of people on top of the mountain who drove up. All in all a great hike with a great view. Enjoy!

While it is a difficult trail and not for the unprepared or faint of heart. It's a beautiful hike with wildflowers, a couple small waterfalls, and amazing views.

Hopefully you won't be as surprised as my wife and I were when we reached the top to find a gift store, concession stand, and parking lot full of people who drove up

Great climb. It rained the day before so it was pretty muddy; water running down some sections. Up and back in a little less than 7 hours. Kept the pace slow and steady. That last 1 1/2 miles up did not disappoint. Spring is beautiful up there. View was awesome from the top. It was 'different' to see people coming out of the gift shop. But then I was wet and muddy, so I appreciated the hot coffee.

Definitely a hard hike due to combination of grade and terrain. Lots of climbing over rocks and logs, with some scrambling in spots, especially the last 1.5-2 miles to the summit. In late May, there was a significant amount of mud and some little stream crossings, again mostly in the last 2 miles to the summit.

My hiking buddy and I had sort of underestimated the difficulty level, so took us 5.5 hours to summit, going slow with lots of breaks. We originally planned on hiking back down, but were pretty spent, didn't want to negotiate all the mud and boulders again, and wouldn't have finished before dark. So the "touristy" nature of the summit was actually somewhat appreciated, because we could easily hitch a ride back to the trailhead where we parked. And even for those planning to hike back down, being able to refuel at the concession stand is quite nice.

Loved:
+ very well-maintained trail, obvious and plentiful blazes
+ low to moderate traffic; everyone is friendly and encouraging
+ almost entire trail is shaded
+ beautiful views from the summit

Didn't Love:
- no unobstructed views until you reach the summit (you're otherwise hiking through forest, and the only views come when you're crossing under the utility poles)
- no mile markers or other indicators of distance traveled until the marker at 1.6 miles below the summit (of course this would easily be solved with a GPS watch)

Beautiful trail, hiked it late April. Even though the reviews claim it as hard it felt pretty doable if you go slow. It's pretty uphill most of the areas and wet towards the last 3 miles. It took us 5.5 hrs one way at a slow pace. We hitchhiked our way down due to changes in weather condition and how late was it already. We started late. So my advice start early morning if you plan to go slow. We started at 930am. Next time it will have to be on the trail at 7am. Overall great hike.

I am 55, 6'1', 256 lb and haven't hiked in 25 years, so I will tell you this trail kicked my but. The trail was more like hiking up a gully washed out by water, and when my son and I did this trail it was like a small stream half the time. I can't stress this enough if there is any chance of bad weather please be prepared, pouring rain and a temperature falling quickly from 66 to 40 degrees may have you wishing you had brought survival gear. 1500 ft from the summit light rain temp dropped to 50 degrees ok not to bad, but 500 ft from the summit pouring rain, lightning, 40-50 mph wind and the temp dropping to 40 degrees will have you quickly thing hypothermia. we had got a late start and at 500 ft from the top, we were 6 1/2 hrs into this hike and buy the time we would reach the summit everything at the top would be closed, and don't count on cell service to save your life it sucks up there. wet, shivering, and pushing my out of shape ass one more hour to the summit was one of the hardest things I have done. Ok, we got to the top in 7 1/2 hrs, have cell service, called a park ranger to save us.

This trail will take you 6-10 hours depending on fitness level. It took us about 8.5 hrs. and we are relatively fit (no problem with hanging rock, pilot mtn., etc.). Tough roots, rocks, and mud. Interesting change in vegetation as you ascend and some little waterfalls. Vista isn't anything better or worst than others in the area, the differentiation for Mt. Mitchell is saying you did the top trail east of the Mississippi.

Start at the Black Mountain Campground (You can probably GPS, we didn't lose signal) and follow signs to trail head. Campground has bathroom and running water and you can find bathroom, running water, and snack shack at the top (in-season). A little weird hiking to the top to be surrounded by tourists, but also gives you a sense of superiority.

Went up 5/6/17, this is a tough trail, there was water on most of it, lots of roots and rocks, and at the top of the mountain it was snowing. The trail was slick at the top as the water had turned to ice. It is a challenging trail but I was able to complete it in 5.5 hours. I will do this again because I couldn't see anything when I made it to the top.

Went in late Feb, there was still ice at the top of the mountain. It took us (four people, upper 20s) about 6:30-7hrs to do.

What a rewarding hike!!! Wish I wouldn't of washed my car yesterday though, didn't know about the 5mile gravel road to parking lot lol..but yea it was deff difficult, not crazy hard but yea..Rocks and Roots! I recommend Thick sole boots..made it up in 3hrs and down in 2 an half! I didn't like all the tourists up at summit though, like get out of my way, I just hiked almost 6miles through Hell to see this view, you drove up here!!! Needless to say I ate my lunch on the way back down where it was more private..but Trail is very well marked and just be prepared for Leg Day!

The roots were no joke. Also tons of mud from melting snow. Still a decent amount of snow on the trail on the last 600 feet. This is melting and causing lots of water and some of the rocks are wet. Also two large trees are on the trail near the switchbacks across the power lines. One you can go under, one over. All in all a great day for hiking.