Mount Mitchell Summit Trail

Mount Mitchell Summit Trail is a 0.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.4 miles Elevation Gain: 91 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

1 hour ago

My family stumbled across the trail after viewing the lookout merely by accident. My dad has a bad knee, but this allowed him to see the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi River. It was a spectacular sight and unbelievable. I felt like we were atop all the world. My family had been hiking trails all day and on our way down the mountain we stopped at the restaurant/gift shop. They were closing, but when I mentioned we had not eaten today, a waitress brought us out pieces of meatloaf that were too small to serve. she did not charge us and we left them a tip. Wonderful people and amazing experiences.

Short paved path to the summit with a nice visitor’s center at the start. It was foggy so no views but still a nice place to bag another high point. I wasn’t expecting a burial crypt at the summit holding the body of the man who the mountain is named after, Rev. Elisha Mitchell.

Great views all around.

Great place to Visit with History and Views, A good place to have lunch. It’s a whole Family place.

If I were rating this as a tourist destination, it’s a solid four star for the views alone. But if I’m rating it as a hike...well this isn’t a hike at all. So I gave it a generous two for the views it does have. It’s a two minute walk up a paved hill to the top. In fact I looked completely out of place being sweaty and dirty having just hiked five miles around other parts of the Black Mountain Range. 360 views at the top with good maps showing you other peaks in the region.

Both times we've gone it has been foggy and difficult to see anything from the top. still nice

Our late-November summit of Mt. Mitchell proved to be shrouded in clouds. But our disappointment was short lived, as the trees on our way to the top were dusted in a layer of white. It was freezing. It was windy. It was impossible to see more than 30 yards in front of you, but it was gorgeous up there!

Love how accessible it is for more people. I do miss the old tower but the current design accommodates many more people. Not really what one calls a hike, but we were breathing a little harder than usual when we reached the top. Surprised to see so many people up here today.. So grateful to live in these beautiful mountains!

The trail is paved with brick. Very accessible, and it is cool to go to the tallest mountain, but not exactly fun hiking.

I read others reviews and must admit I have not been there since it was remodeled per se! I loved it! The old tower was cool! It was interesting because it was freezing in the altitude below but warm above the clouds the day we were there!

Paved trail to the summit. Slightly steep but well worth the trek up for the 360 degree views.

Was more of a walk up to the summit then a hike, nicely paved and great views from every direction. They have built this for all ages so that all can reach the highest summit on the Appalachian Trail!! There are trails to hike when you get there. Beautiful!!

Beautiful views from all around. Fairly easy and paved.

Nice, short trail to the summit of the highest point east of the Mississippi River.

Paved trail to the summit of Mt. Mitchell, highest point in the Appalachian Mountains. Not really a hike but more of a walk to the summit. Trail is somewhat steep, but rest benches are provided at several places. Remember that the air is thin at this elevation, so you will get winded faster than usual. This is a nice option for people who cannot do one of the park's harder trails.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Pavement will be under your feet the entire way. The distance, according to a sign at the end of the parking lot, is 275 yards to the top. The view was great April 28, 2018 because of no fog or cloud cover unlike when I hiked the Mt. Mitchell trail a few years ago. I did this one because my son is too young to do the hard trail and I wanted him to stand on the highest mountain east of the Mississippi River. The only reason I gave it a four star rating is because it's more of a walk and not a hike.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Located at MP349.9 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, there is a winding park road that will lead you up to a large parking area within a very short walk to the top. The weather at the summit is significantly colder than at lower elevations so bring a jacket. The cement trail to the summit (ADA accessible) is pretty steep but leads to the observation area that affords a 360* panorama and has detailed signs at the north, east, south, and west faces showing the names of all of the distant peaks. The grave of Elisha Mitchell, who surveyed the mountain, is displayed right in front of the observation platform and is composed of the same ornamental stonework. This is an excellent place to visit when traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway and is great for children.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Awesome trail for the whole family, beautiful views from the observaion deck, plenty of places to step aside and take a break on the way up.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The view from Mitchell is outstanding on a clear day, but to get there really can't be called a hike. It's a .5 mile paved trail that leads from the parking lot to the viewpoint. It is fairly steep.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

very pretty, but expect lots of foot traffic.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

my favorite place in the world. tallest mountain on the east coast. beautiful foliage.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Beautiful trail with some great views.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

I have been to the summit a couple times now...the first visit I hiked up the Old Mitchell Trail and the second time with the family we parked in the upper parking lot. Regardless of how you get there, it definitely deserves five stars for the views. The last visit was on an unusually cold May morning with beautiful ice crystals/snow falling and shining in the intermittent sun! I can't wait to get back to see what the next visit will bring!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

I followed the Summit Trail to the observation deck that has the 360 degrees of the fabulous views from the summit. I could see miles away in this beautiful fall day. I really enjoyed it.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Have been here during several seasons, and the top has changed quite a bit over the years with construction of the new viewing platform. From the upper parking lot at Mt. Mitchell State Park, take the short quarter mile paved Tower Summit Trail to the platform. This gets five stars for the views, be it spring, summer, fall or winter. Being atop the roof of NC gives you a panorama view for up to 85 miles. Signs at the top identify neighboring mountains. The platform can get crowded and noisy, sunrise and sunsets are nice. Our day started out overcast as we did the Black Mountain Crest / Deep Gap trail, and by the time we returned, the sun was peeking out. Some great views at the top in every direction. A nice time to visit is late June when the rhododendrons are in full bloom, painting the mountaintops. By the time you reach the parking lot hiking up from Black Mountain Campground or Deep Gap, this is a breeze and rewards you for your efforts. Enjoy!