Learn more

Mount Mitchell Summit Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(203)
Mount Mitchell State Park

Mount Mitchell Summit Trail is a 0.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.4 miles Elevation Gain: 91 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

partially paved

NOTE: As of May 19, 2020, users have reported that the observation deck is currently closed. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

More of a walking path than a trail but great views.

Very short scenic area.

It's a short brick walkway to the summit work nice views. Once at the top, the placards showing you the different mountain peaks in each of the cardinal directions was very informative.

It was fine - not so much a trail as a walking path to the summit. I happened to be there when it was foggy, but the views I did catch are absolutely breathtaking. I did take a short loop nearby and while it was easy (and short), I truly enjoyed it - Mount Mitchell is beautiful! As others have mentioned, it is paved and wide and there are benches. Amenities were closed. It was busy on a Tuesday early afternoon (of the week leading up to the 4th of July), but many people wore masks.

Such a great trail! Just bummed the summit was super foggy/misty and the wind was kicking up there. All in all a great time and I’ll be back for a clear summit some day

It is a must see to reach the top of the world! lol. great 360 views a little steep but amazing so worth it. its paved the whole way up. There are benches to stop at on the way incase you need to rest.

It’s a bit steep walking up, but paved and the most beautiful views - really enjoyed watching the sunset from here!

Not really a hike so much as a steep paved walk. Mostly fogged in the day I went but still neat to be on top of the highest point east of the Mississippi and I'm sure the views are awesome on a clear day. Was not crowded at all a little after 8am on a Friday morning, maybe because of the fog.

Beautiful 360 views from the observation deck. Short steep climb on paved path. Take the Balsam Nature Trail back to parking lot, easy hike and so beautiful

bridge out

Observation deck still closed but you can still get to the top. The sign with the elevation is accessible and the views are beautiful! Lots of cool places on top for a family picture. Well worth the drive down Blue Ridge.

Great views, their bathrooms are open for public use, observation deck closed currently, but still worth the drive and views

Mostly paved, steep going up, saw lots of doggies ♥️. Smelled amazing. Going down was easier.

recorded Old Mitchell Trail

Moderate hike, good amount of incline going up but easy to navigate. Awesome panoramic views up top!

Moderate is accurate. Going down is pretty easy but coming back up gets your heart rate going. I'd avoid this trail if it's been raining. Tons of steep smooth rocks. Lots of flies in Sept. Quiet trail though. Smelled like Christmas.

I really enjoyed this trail!!!!! The Mt Mitchell part of the trail was intense AF but it felt so good when it was done!!!!!

Deep Gap (.2 mile south of Colbert Ridge Trail) to Mt Mitchell, and then down Balsam Nature trail to Comissary Ridge. Lots of steep climbs with ropes up some sections near Big Tom and Mt Craig. Views to die for but, you will earn it. Pack light.

Short paved uphill walk from the snack bar / gift shop to the observation deck at the summit. Crowded but great views.

A great panoramic view from the tippy top. Can get slightly overcrowded and loud but such a pretty view of the Carolinas.

Fri Jun 28 2019

Well paved wide trail heading to summit overlook. Combined with the nature trail on the way down. Dog loved breaking off to the natural spring

Tue Jun 18 2019

My family stumbled across the trail after viewing the lookout merely by accident. My dad has a bad knee, but this allowed him to see the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi River. It was a spectacular sight and unbelievable. I felt like we were atop all the world. My family had been hiking trails all day and on our way down the mountain we stopped at the restaurant/gift shop. They were closing, but when I mentioned we had not eaten today, a waitress brought us out pieces of meatloaf that were too small to serve. she did not charge us and we left them a tip. Wonderful people and amazing experiences.

Sat Jun 08 2019

Short paved path to the summit with a nice visitor’s center at the start. It was foggy so no views but still a nice place to bag another high point. I wasn’t expecting a burial crypt at the summit holding the body of the man who the mountain is named after, Rev. Elisha Mitchell.

Thu May 16 2019

Great views all around.

Thu Apr 04 2019

Great place to Visit with History and Views, A good place to have lunch. It’s a whole Family place.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Awesome short hike to the summit of Mt. Mitchell. Unbelievable 360 degree views. Must see!

Sun Mar 24 2019

If I were rating this as a tourist destination, it’s a solid four star for the views alone. But if I’m rating it as a hike...well this isn’t a hike at all. So I gave it a generous two for the views it does have. It’s a two minute walk up a paved hill to the top. In fact I looked completely out of place being sweaty and dirty having just hiked five miles around other parts of the Black Mountain Range. 360 views at the top with good maps showing you other peaks in the region.