Mount Mitchell State Park Trail

Mount Mitchell State Park Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Eskota, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

We hiked this trail 4-1-17, and I thoroughly enjoyed every step! And believe me, there were a lot of them ...

We dropped a car off at the small gravel pull off on the right side of the road on Mt. Mitchell State Park Road (trail is on the left side of the road) and drove back to Walker Knob overlook to start our hike. (Some folks just walk the road 4 miles back to Walker Knob but after all the hiking we were glad we decided to shuttle!) Trail starts directly in front of Walker Knob sign (the sign was actually missing when we were there) and is marked with white circles. The initial climb is pretty brutal if you're not in really good shape and even though I consider myself to be quite fit at 30 I still got pretty winded and had to slow down a bit. The switchbacks helped a lot but that 1st mile was quite a climb! After that you get on the ridge and you feel like you're on the clouds! Closing in on 6,000 ft along the ridge and the summit is not extremely spectacular, mostly forested and a small rock stack, so sit down, have a snack and get ready for the better part of this hike!

The ridge descends into some nice birch forest and make sure to find the little meadow on your left where there is the skeleton of an old crashed Cessna plane. OMG! Continue down a bit more and get into the deep, dark, rich moss covered everything, rocky and Spruce? Fir? trees (we're still not sure but my goodness they're stunning!) This part of the hike with little springs and rocky outcrops was my absolute favorite! After a rocky descent you're rewarded with stunning views just below Potato Knob. Woo-hoo! Keep going down into the rocky (watch for rattlesnakes!!) Beech forest and the rest of the hike is moderate downhill and super easy. By the time you make it to the car it's beer thirty. Reward yourself! You deserve it! :)

We took a a lot of breaks and enjoyed our surroundings quite a bit and still managed to do this in 4-4.5 hrs.

Vistas, steep inclines and wind.