Commissary Hill via Mount Mitchell Trail and Higgins Bald Loop

Commissary Hill via Mount Mitchell Trail and Higgins Bald Loop is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burnsville, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,795 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail was more difficult than I had anticipated it to be. There was a point within the trail when it came to a campground but I could not locate the trail on the other side to continue. Fortunately, after much wandering around I was able to find it. It was difficult to hike because the trails was comprised of rock and therefore was hard on the footing. Aside from all this, I enjoyed the hike overall and would recommend others to take it. There was a bit of snow and ice which was anticipated due to the time of year and elevation of the mountain.

I only took this trail once and that was after a lot of heavy rainfall for a couple of weeks but this made the waterfall so nice I bushwhacked to the base. I did hike to it once and the waterfall was nothing to get excited over because it takes a lot of rainfall to make it worth the hike unless you plan to see Higgins Bald.