Morrow Mountain Trail

Morrow Mountain Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Albemarle, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

You are likely to see deer, turtles, birds, and other small wildlife on your hike up to the overlook. Once there, the view of the Pee Dee river and Lake Tillery are amazing. It is an easy hike each way, with the exception of the last part leading to the overlook, which can be slippery.

We knew to follow the blue triangles but still got turned around. There is a sign before the incline at the end and after reading it it seemed to me to take what ended up being the turn that takes you up the road to the top. It was too late to turn back. Probably my fault but as a newbie to hiking I feel the signs could have been more clear as to where to go. The viewing area for the best photo is not very big, a small platform. It would have been nice to have more of them or a bigger one. Going down the mountain was tough. I rolled on the small gravel a couple of times as they were very pebbly.

Nice hike through the woods. Has a few small creeks to cross. Trail is easily marked.

For the most part moderate is correct. The uphill 1.5 mile at the end is rough on 60 year old man

Beautiful trail. Can be a bit slippery with autumn leaves and quite steep at the top. Just FYI, the directions lead you to the top of the mountain to park, and the trail is then down and back up (out and back). Opposite my preference.

Amazing hike and Amazing veiw. probably good idea to use hiking boots, hiking stick, bring snacks and hiking kit.

First trail, great run/hike. Can not wait for hiking the Appalachian trail this trail has helped me believe I can do anything that I put my mind to it.

Moderate trail going down, not so moderate coming back up but still enjoyable

Moderate trail but last climb to top is strenuous. Beautiful views if leaves are sparse. Great day trip from Raleigh area. Pack a picnic lunch or BBQ. Picnic benches and clean bathroom accommodations at the top. Parking available at top of mountain or by the museum and you can access the trails from either location. Noticed they had a shelter/pavilion that is available to reserve.

This is more strenuous than moderate. Nice views if the skies are clear.

We a had a great time camping here. Highly recommended...

great hike. easy with a good view.

Great work out, lots of elevation changes. I do recommend that those with week ankles wear hightop hiking boots. Lots of shade but never found the waterfall, could have been too dry.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Great trail for hiking. Very steep so be cautious. Lots of sights and sounds of nature. Bring bug spray.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Kind of boring, just an easy hike. View was okay at the top.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Awesome hike and view at the top!

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Great hike. Took the 10 yr old and the dog. Go early when there are less folks

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Nice trail, the last .25 miles is quite strenuous!

Sunday, December 25, 2016

It was a good 5.5 mile hike from the visitor center and pack. The steep portion provides a good challenge making the view from the top even more rewarding. We packed lunches and ate at the picnic area on top of the mountain. Very quiet and peaceful.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The moderate trail was well marked and easy to follow. There isn't a lot to see until you get to the top. The last section is steep but nothing too difficult. I gave it three stars due to people being able to drive to the top. Overall, a good fall hike.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Great view at the top and you can drive to it if you want. The trail connects with the Sugarloaf trail and has a very steep section near the end. Most of the trail is up and down and best hiked in the late fall, winter or early spring when the leaves are off the trees and you can see great views through the forest. Views are much better near the top. Recommend you take hiking poles to help not only on the way up but also to slow you down on the way back. Pretty good workout and some good views. The trail is blazed blue (note the easy Morrow Mountain Loop trail is the easy trail at the top of the mountain blazed red).

Saturday, November 05, 2016

definitely moderate but a good workout. trail is easy to follow with the red triangles. it was nice to eat by the lake afterwards

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Never been a huge fan of trails that you can drive to the top of. The view from the parking lot is great, but the trail doesn't offer anything special.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Nice place to hike . We will be back soon.

Monday, August 08, 2016

I loved this trail. I went with my kids, we really enjoyed it. For our first trail it was a little tough, we definitely got a great workout! We will come again as there are several trails.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Good trail, very nice. Only problem with me was when it rained on us. Other than that, it was great

Sunday, June 05, 2016

The hike was definitely moderate in activity level, a few very steep paths near the top. Really love the views.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Very much enjoyed our time out there. Took my fiancé and our son and absolutely enjoyed the hike and scenery. Def recommend.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Excellent view at the top, myself and my wife go several times a year, the trail actually to the top is on the should of the road, which I feel is alittle dangerous and alot of rocks to slips on so watch your footing, we use hiking sticks. I have also kayaked the lake which is very nice , all the way around, I like the dam area the best and sound is most relaxing of the rushing water. Lots of birds, but I yet to see a deer.

Monday, April 18, 2016