Moores Knob Trail

Moores Knob Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Danbury, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.2 mile loop to the top of Moore's Knob with 360 degree veiws from the top, including the nearby Hanging Rock (namesake of the park), and Sauratown Mountain and Pilot Mountain in the distance. The loop starts by the lake/campground . It joins up with several other trails including Tory's Den and a nature trail. There are 2 options that meet at the summit. the 1.6 m option w/ lots of stair steps is wide and more traveled. The 2.6 m option is more single track trail with lots of rocks.

Did this hike today, took the long way up (not the stairs), it was a hard hike for me, but was very enjoyable and got a good work out. Once we got up there it poured down raining and wasn't able to see view. I would do this again.

Nice hike, mostly shaded and not too steep. Great cardio with lots of stairs, could be difficult for some. The views from the lookout is also very nice. Great family outing.

Not hard. It was a good place to see hanging rock.

Nice views of hanging rock and Flat Shoals

I wouldn’t exactly say this is “hard”; my 11 and 13 year old kids did it without a problem. Gets the blood flowing and the heart pumping for sure, though. The view at the top is 360° of beauty. Do it! So worth it!!

Not hard, per se, but a sure heart-pumper if you take the loop trail first and finish with the direct descent back to the parking area. Definitely worth the payoff view at the top.

Loved this trail! Super rocky on the way up... a fun challenge! Great view at the top!

Great cardio, very light traffic on the trail even on a weekend. The parking lot, picnic area and lake was packed but this trail was quite. Incredible views at the top

I really enjoyed this hike. I went after one of the snowfalls so there was barely anyone of the trail and the views were gorgeous. I am excited to come back and do this one again in the Fall.

I love this trail. Started off early this am - first in carpark and making new footsteps for the day in the snow. Climbed around the lake - which was partially frozen - and took the red/white circles trail up to the top of Moore’s Knob. Beautiful crisp day with lots of animal tracks in snow - deer, squirrel, small mammals, birds and turkey. Trail was snowy, but not too icy. Wind blowing pretty good in carpark, but it was very calm and warm along the trail up the mountain. I wore layers and was too warm by far. Stopped in at balanced rock near the top. Was hoping to be first up there for the day but got passed by a guy about 3/4 way up - the recent flu bug has left me so fatigued..! Got to top and wind blowing around the rocks - visibility pretty good. Could see pilot mt and Winston Salem pretty good - also could make out grandfather mt with my binocs. Top of tower was surprisingly protected from wind - it really was extremely pleasant up there. Spent some time taking photos etc and then heading down. Met a lot more hikers on way down. The route down seemed slippery than on the way up - I was glad of my hiking pole. Overall a very nice moderate hike with fantastic views at the top.

I’ve been multiple times and love it more every time

Good trail and great 360 view from the tower at the summit. The hike is more moderate than difficult. Also I didn’t find the stairs after the summit to be as annoying as other reviews stated.

Hiked this trail just yesterday, there was about 7 inches of snow at the which was fantastic. One thing to be aware of is that if you haven't been to the trails other than the main "Hanging Rock Trail" the other trail heads are a bit difficult to find. To get to this one park at the lake and walk towards the shelter. you'll come to a split one trail going up and to the left. This is not the correct trail. Keep going straight and around the lake. You're on the correct trail if it is marked with red and white circles. If you take the wrong fork like me you can take the magnolia springs trail across you'll just add another mile or more onto the loop. I'd travel the natural side (lower longer side) on the way up and the stairs on the way down. Be considerate of how much daylight you have as the mountain does block out the sun at about 4:30. Also be considerate of the temperature on top of the tower on a cold windy day it will be very very cold. I'd suggest layering up. The view was absolutely fantastic and I would even go so war as to say it is the best view in NC other than Mitchell and Elk Knob. If you are worried about finding the trail talk to the rangers in the station they are very helpful. Enjoy the hike!

Beautiful 360 degree view from the top! Lots of stairs so I recommend taking the nature trail on the way up and stairs down. There is a tower at the top with some informative plaques about the scenery.

One of Hanging Rock's lesser-known trails (and therefore lesser trafficked). Beautiful views, and lots of opportunity to climb all over the top of Moore's Knob

Nice manageable hike even for a beginner like me! Was there early (7:30 am) and was finished by the time everyone else was just starting. Beautiful view from the top. Was a little unsure of climbing the tower so just viewed from the rocks.

For the first time I have ever gone hiking, it may have been a little too much for me at 62 years old. But my son kept me going and we finally reached the top and the views were amazing!! Going down the stairs was not as easy as I thought it would be. But so glad we didn’t it!!

Great trail with amazing views at the top!!

Pretty cool little hike closer to home. They were surveying the migration of hawks from the observation tower while I was there. They had counted 12 different species of hawks some which will winter in South America. Next time I'll do the loop counter-clockwise so I don't have to go down all the steps on that side!

Moderate trail, great views at the top with scattered areas for light bouldering, lookout tower doesn't seem heavily trafficked. Fill up on water ahead of time

Great view and enjoyed watching the broad-winged hawks from the observation tower.

Lots of elevation in some places but totally worth it. Nice scenic routes in between the steep bits. Great view at the top. Stairs kind of suck on the way down, but it was awesome! Took the hanging rock trail and connected with moored knob through another route so it was about a 7ish mile hike after getting back across the lake back to the car. Fun day.

Was expecting it to be a lot harder !! Loved it

Fun, but a lot of elevation and treacherous footing.

Super awesome hike!

Great trail, good workout, nice view at the top!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

2nd scenic view to hanging rock

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

We parked by the picnic areas, and split to the left, going clockwise up to the watchtower. The trail is a bit longer than 4.4
Miles. Clockwise up to the watchtower is a quite narrow and leafy trail, and keeps you cool while the sun is out. Next time, I will take the counterclockwise way, steps up, because that side of the hike is actually wider, more breathable and airy. The steps are also spaced out, so you have little breaks in between. This trail is challenging, but a beginner with good hiking shoes and a great attitude can definitely complete this loop. The trail does lead you through a street where the campers are, which was a little confusing at first. The 360 views at the peak are awesome, you can see Pilot Mountain!
The trail is marked well enough, so just keep up with the red blazes and you will love it. I definitely plan to do this hike again!

Friday, May 26, 2017

I only take the back trail through woods and rocky terrain. I don't like the stairs... too many people and it's hard on the knees. I also prefer the rougher terrain and longer distance, a better workout and more interesting too. Views are great at the top, but there are often too many people for my taste. For that reason, I would NEVER take this trail on a weekend, unless it's winter or very early spring.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I loved this trail! We hiked the longer part of the loop first and went down the short side. TONS of bugs at the top so be prepared and bring bug spray!!