Moores Knob Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Danbury, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 954 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

4.2 mile loop to the top of Moore's Knob with 360 degree views from the top, including the nearby Hanging Rock (namesake of the park), and Sauratown Mountain and Pilot Mountain in the distance. The loop starts by the lake/campground . It joins up with several other trails including Tory's Den and a nature trail. There are 2 options that meet at the summit. the 1.6 m option w/ lots of stair steps is wide and more traveled. The 2.6 m option is more single track trail with lots of rocks.

Very nice trail, less crowded than the famous hanging rock one

I had an awesome time on this trail. The scenery is beautiful when you get to the tower. When you start on the trail and reach the fork if you turn left you avoid having to climb about a miles worth of steps. It’s still no an entirely easy hike since there are a lot of rocks. I highly recommend this place!

Great trail! Awesome workout and payoff.

icy

Great trail. Some small washed out spots on the way up. Beautiful clear day at the top. Awesome weather all day. Highly recommend for moderate distance day hike.

This was an awesome hike with a 360 view. I took the advise here and went left at the split... steady incline to the top. 1001 steps coming down... Awesome park!!

FABULOUS hike! I chose to go up the back side and take the stairs down and am really glad I did. (At the first split go left instead of straight. If you get to the stairs, you’ve gone too far. You can see where I doubled back on my recording.) Super well marked trail and gorgeous views from the tower. Will definitely be back.

Decided to take the more direct route up to the tower on this trip. About 1.7 miles constantly climbing to the top with plenty of rocky stairs. This route will definitely test your cardio but the view is incredible at the top. Seemed like you could see the edge of the earth!

Highest peak in the park. Beautiful views up top, but cooler and windy. Moderate trail and recommend decent cardio to make it fun. My favorite trail at Hanging Rock. Fantastic at sunset!

We went in October and brought our dog. We hiked 4.7 miles of beautiful trail, to the top of Moore’s Knob! Moore’s knob is the highest point in Hanging Rock State Park! Lots of nature, camping is extremely close if you want to stay and hike the rest of the beautiful trails, this park has to offer!

Awesome views and a great workout. We started with the steps and was definitely ready for some lunch when we reached the tower. Great hike!!

Always an excellent hike, great for exercise and the beautiful views! This time, we met a volunteer who was taking care of the trail, pruning small limbs and thorny vines off the path. I recommend taking the longer hike, working your way up the rocky side, breaking for lunch at the tower, then following the steps back down.

Awesome trail, even more awesome view! Well maintained, but still a great outdoor trail experience

Really enjoyed this trail. Good mix of elevation climb, flats, and a great 360 view at the top with a tower and pointers to all major local mountains and destinations.

Great workout with a beautiful view at the top of Moore’s Knob! Tory’s Den waterfall was not much. Most likely since things have been so dry.

I toght I would die from my out of shape cardio, and wanted to quit badly. I'm really happy I kept pushing bc the view and breeze at the top was lovely. it was very shaded and temperature today was nice. You just keep going up none stop for so long!

Great view from the top. moderate trail.

Beautiful trail and the view at the lookout tower is totally worth it. I wish there were more designated overlooks along the way but all in all our group enjoyed this trail.

Simple up and back down with my son. This isn't a tricky hike, even those in below-average shape could make it up if they take their time. Beautiful view from the tower at the summit. You can see great views of the piedmont region or back west to the mountains if it's a good day.

Went hiking on 07/ 21/2019. I wanted to be challenged and this trail did just that. Haven't been hiking in years and this was well worth it!!

Lengthy ascent and descent, along with rocky terrain, make for a challenging workout along this trail. The varied vegetation and landscape keep things interesting, with rhododendron lined seeps and streams, mountain laurel barrens, oak forests, hemlock thickets, and lots of outcrops and overlooks. Surprised so many hemlocks are thriving on the ridge line. Some have to be hundreds of years old too!