Bennetts Creek Trail

Bennetts Creek Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gatesville, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

fly fishing

old growth

Merchant's Millpond is a Cypress swamp/pond, primary access is by canoe or kayak. Cypress trees draped with Spanish Moss over calm duckweed-covered water... Turtles and birds everywhere!

Nice 2 miles trail especially for kids. Lightly rolling terrain that around the half way points starts to meander next to the pond. Easy hike. Few muddy low points and a few small bridges across streams. Good view of Cyprus and knees.

Good day hike with the kiddos, close to home!

Four stars because it's mostly quite beautiful, but some trails are a bit too overgrown for safety in a swampy, snakey, buggy area during the summer.

Great intro trail to hiking and backpacking. Our Scout Troop hikes this and the other trails at Merchant's Mill Pond State Park on a regular basis. We visit all year long, although the fall and winter are my favorites. During the late spring you need to prepare for red bugs (chiggers.) I also have some good snake pictures, mostly red bellied water snakes and black tree snakes. There are several options for camping and we will combine multiple trails to get a hike that matches our desired length.

Great intro trail to the local trail system. We hike this and the other trails at Merchant's Mill Pond State Park on a regular basis. We visit all year long, although the fall and winter are my favorites. During the late spring you need to prepare for red bugs (chiggers.) I also have some good snake pictures, mostly red bellied water snakes and black tree snakes.

canoeing

Great canoe in camping then take a nice quiet hike through the woods. Looks like a great place to find some large largemouth but didn't bring a pole.

canoeing

Hi

A favorite area to hike. Beautiful cypress trees. Canoe to the camp sites and hike from there. Canoe back the next day. You can rent a canoe, there. Alligators have been spotted in the Millpond so always be alert. Lots of wildlife.

If you go in the summer, be sure to take appropriate precautions with insects, especially ticks and chiggers. Take a mosquito net to help keep your sanity while hiking and at camp.

Almost every time I've hiked this trail I've camped and there always seems to be a Bobwhite calling throughout the night. That, along with the endless frog croaking (really something spectacular), make the atmosphere of the Millpond a very rare experience. There's nothing quite like it.

A beautiful trail. Bennetts Creek was well worth the walk but I also love part of the trail that was like a tunnel. The small trees are bent over the trail in such a way that you expect a bride to be walking through the beautiful natural arches.

This was a beautiful little loop trail. The kind you wish would last longer. It follows the Cyprus trees along the edge of the lake for about a third of the way. But if you do it as an out and back it is about two thirds of the way.

This is a nice trail with a beautiful destination. When you get to Bennetts Creek there is a boardwalk out into the creek with beautiful Cyprus trees all around. The park says this trail is 2 miles. As a loop it is 2.5 miles. But if you want to shorten it you can do an out and back on the southeast leg and make it just under 2 miles. The southeast leg is the one closest to the dam on Millpond Road. The leg that takes off Millpond Road at the Junction of Honeypot Road is over 1.5 miles to Bennetts Creek.

There are at least 13 miles of trails in the park that I have enjoyed. All of the trails visit beautiful Cyprus swamp, creek or lake.

What a beautiful trail. As you face the visitor center go to the far left corner of the parking lot. Take the trail down the hill. When you come to the Lassiter Trail, turn right and follow it all the way to Millpond Road. One option is to turn around and follow the Bald Cyprus lake back the way you came. But to finish the loop, turn right on Millpond Road and right again toward the visitor center.

What a place to watch the day go by. I sat by the Millpond for a few minutes between trails.

I love the far side of the bridge. There are a million crazy colors in the water.

It is a nice park. I have hiked every trail in the park except one. The park is centered around a beautiful cypress swamp and all the trails give at least some of it.

Another short trail, but there is a lot to see.