MCAS New River Trail

MCAS New River Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jacksonville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until August.

canoeing

**This is a federal installation and only DoD ID card holders and vehicles with BASE DECALS are authorized for access to the trail.** 4.7 miles of moderate single track with both natural and man made obstacles and dirt pump track playground.

Got to where it was supposed to be and saw no trail heads. Also swarms of mosquitos and deer flies. Do not recommend.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Relaxing trail to walk along. Saw people canoeing so that's something else you could do besides walking, biking, or running. It's on base so you have to have base access in order to get to this trail. We brought our dog along and he enjoyed it too. Besides garbage everywhere, it was a nice relaxing walk.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Poor choice. This is on a military base and the only way to access it is to be military or trespass on federal property.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

canoeing
Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I've kayaked this trail two times, paddling the river and fishing along the way. Both times I've seen alligators and lots of fish and come home later than expected. I always understimate how long it will take me to travel along a still river... Watch out for gators but they typically won't mess with you, though the last one I saw was actively killing its dinner about 10 meters from me....quite a sight to see.