Learn more

Lower Haw River Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bynum, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.3 mi Elevation gain 147 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (124)
Recordings (74)
Completed (143)
Derrick Evans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingOver grown

Beautiful view of river with places for dog to go in on leash. Strong current. We followed orange tree markers up to the right for a strenuous hike. Trail along river ends where we went down to river from on the ridge.

View Derrick's Recording
Rex Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat May 30 2020

not.marked, overgrown. made it 100 yards with my 3 kids when a LARGE snake crossed the ground in front of us. never again.

Zhihang Zhang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 26 2020
Flooded

Trail is flooded from both trailheads

Jessica A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 29 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Lots of poison ivy along the trail. Very narrow path amid grasses in spots

View Jessica's Recording
Ryan Roth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 28 2020
HikingRocky

Great! Moderate and kid friendly.

View Ryan's Recording
Carrie Strom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Mar 15 2020
Hiking

pretty and remote. kind of wish I wore pants or gaiters to get through some of the brush or under/over logs. but if you go with the mindset of a good nature walk, frogs, bugs, thorny plants and all, it is absolutely beautiful and serene by the water. minimal parking.

View Carrie's Recording
Nikki Orie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 29 2020
HikingRocky

Trail not marked with signs or markings but is worn enough that you can easily follow. Fairly flat with rocks, dirt and sand. It was kind of boring for me because the scenery didn’t change and was basically a straight line. We didn’t pass a person the entire time but river was peaceful to listen to. We turned around at the second stream crossing but more because we were a little bored.

View Nikki's Recording
Vid Giam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Feb 26 2020
HikingRocky

ok not great, sandy,rocky not really marked at all.did about a miles and turned around.not for kids. river is very nice though.

View Vid's Recording
Doug Shartzer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 16 2020
HikingFloodedMuddy

lovely trail! very rustic and light traffic. loved walking alongside the Haw River. couldn't cross the second branch, though, to finish the entire trail. too much recent rain?

View Doug's Recording
Christopher Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jan 25 2020

Wild river. Fun route

View Christopher's Recording
Jai Explorer
HikingFloodedScrambleWashed out
View Jai's Recording
Gina Difino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 20 2020
HikingMuddy

Peaceful section of the river with limited parking. Two small creek crossings. Nice day hike.

View Gina's Recording
Crystal Willett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Dec 26 2019
HikingBlowdownOff trailOver grownRockyWashed out

I started at the bridge and walked to the second creek and turned around and went back. My camera was dead and I had already hiked to the creek from the Bynum side before. It was an enjoyable hike. Not a soul until I got back to the bridge to find a few families fishing. You have to figure out where to cross the creeks. Just walk down the creek until you see a place that works for you. Saw turtles sunning on this 67o sunny January day. Saw a turtle up close and it looked like it had a growth on its leg. A video of the trail: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/lower-haw-river-trail

View Crystal's Recording
Mike Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 16 2019
HikingOff trailOver grownRocky

Hiking by the Haw river is one of my favorite hikes. If you are looking for a easy, well defined trail then this is NOT the place for you. At some points you have a well defined trial and at others you do not. there are points where you will likely need to walk over the boulders in the river or follow a deer path. The trail is not maintained, so if a tree falls over it you will need to find a way around. I generally take a trekking pole with me when I go to get up some of the steeper areas. There are numerous hawk and eagle nests around and you can see them flying around often. There is plenty of public hunting grounds around there so you should wear something blaze orange as a precaution.

Pinda H.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 29 2019
Hiking

Hard to follow and overgrown. Ended up turning around for fear I’d be bitten by snakes.

Andrew Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 23 2019
HikingOff trailOver grown

So I started hiking this trail today, as I came down from the parking spot, off the the left hand side I see a trail marked with red markers, so I start down the trail. Well about a half mile or so, I look at the app and come to find out I am not on the trail, the trail went right not left. So I turn around because I have no clue what trail I am on and have no idea where it goes. So I get back to the starting point and can only think of 3CPO saying here we go again. So I start off and head down a small maybe 2 feet wide trail, with no markings but the app says on on the trail. So I hike about a quarter of a mile and recheck the app, still on track, but the trail is over grown, and washed away in a few spots at this point. So I hike maybe for 5 more minutes and almost fall into the river because the ground has been washed away under the over growth and I didn’t see it. So at this point I turn around and head back to the car. This could be a nice trail, but it need to be cleared and remarked.

Nate Kent
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Apr 11 2019
Running

I definitely enjoyed this trail as it was very peaceful and some parts had nice views of the river. However, the trail was somewhat overgrown and hard to follow at times. I just checked my location on the recording to get me back on track. Also note that there are three creek crossings. The first two you can just hop across rocks but the third one (pokeberry creek) you have to wade through shallow water a little less than a foot deep. Overall, the nature and scenery is excellent, but the trail itself is descent and could be great if it was more clearly marked and better maintained.

Jen O.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 20 2019
Hiking

Do not recommend this trail. Conditions are not great for having a safe hike.

View Jen's Recording
reiko buckley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Dec 26 2018
Hiking

We took a souothbound route from Bynum community Park on Christmas day. The trail is easy to find with no folaige growing in winter, but with all the rains it's wet everywhere. We reached Pokeberry Creek, and even with several minutes upstream walking, we couldn't find the way to cross the stream so we headed back. We'd try a northbound route next time.