Lower Cascade Falls Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(124)
Hanging Rock State Park

Lower Cascade Falls Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Westfield, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 91 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Short steep walk to a Beautiful waterfall and pool.

This was a great trail to the falls. Very easy hike with two kids they enjoyed it as well since it wasn’t to long at all. Beautiful waterfall and will be going back again soon!

Awesome day. Easy walk to some stairs that are easy to the bottom. Got to the falls around 8:30am. Beautiful cascade, had a couple of cups floating in the pool where we couldn't get to them to fish them out. We skipped across to the right side next to the falls. Enjoy!

Beautiful falls as usual.

I took four girls ages 8 to 13 on this short hike down to the falls. It was an easy hike down but we rested a few times back up all those steps, but overall managed well. It's an easy hike for most. The scenery was beautiful and many spots for photo ops. The falls itself was flowing well as recent rains caused it to swell somewhat. It would be a fun spot in summer to walk through the pooled water barefoot at the base of the falls! We'll certainly be back! *Side note, the trail head is actually outside the park gate which I discovered after a few wrong turns within the park.

Beautiful! Can’t wait to go back in the summer!

Took this as my warm up trail, came at 8am...not a soul here thanks to 28° weather. Easiest waterfall trail I've ever done. Yes, there are stairs but very manageable. Its impossible to show in a picture how amazing the falls are when you get down to the base. Absolutely worth it.

I took my 4 year old and puppy and they enjoyed it a lot! Beautiful spot for photos and swimming - there is a shallow area for kids to play in. The stairs are steep but expected & not too bad since the rest of the trail is flat. Really enjoyed this one!

I don’t know that I would rate this easy only because of the number of stairs. But, it’s falls so stairs are to be expected. That said, absolutely stunning falls and plenty of places to get your swim on. Expect crowds on hot days.

Nice trail for everyone - well marked and there are wooden stairs and handrails to the falls. The falls are amazing in any type of weather - we went in the rain and it was absolutely stunning. Probably very busy in the summer on the weekends.

Beautiful waterfall! Great for a hot day! Easy for kids to do as well!

love this little hike with a awesome waterfall at the end

Fairly easy trail. We walked down with our year old. Kinda busy but still an awesome swim spot! And definitely worth it.

Fairly easy hike with kids. The falls are totally worth the short hike. Beautiful! Bring your swim trunks if it’s warm outside.

Love taking the grandchildren here at anytime of the yr. breathtaking..

Always such a great place to bring the kids. It’s a short trail with a quick drop down into the waterfall area, but just beautiful!

This was my first stop today. I was there at opening, and had the trail and falls to myself. Very short hike, with a few stairs. Simply awesome!! I'll be back here this winter. Looks to be an awesome swimming hole. Simply beautiful!!!

go in the water it's very refreshing

Easy nature walk with some stairs down to the base of the falls. Beautiful none the less.

This trail really was a quick and easy hike! We took our three year old on this one for her first hike and she not only loved it, but managed the rocks and trail with ease! She loved getting wet in the stream and splashing around. I think it's a great way to introduce a child to hiking, or could easily be a great way to get the elderly back to a beautiful waterfall! Everyone's soul needs more waterfalls!

Mon May 27 2019

Amazing! Beautiful waterfall

Sun May 26 2019

Beautiful short hike to scenic view. Falls are wonderful. Hike is a bit more than moderate when it comes to the grade and steps, but doable for most.

Sat May 25 2019

Lots of puppers!!!!!!

Sun May 05 2019

Took kids (5&8) for the first time today, perfect trail for them. Pretty short walk to get to the falls, trail is very well maintained. Two words of advise for anyone who’s never been: a lot of steep steps to get down to falls (so if u have knee issues or very small kids, just a heads up) and the rocks are very slippery if you choose to wade in. I would recommend water shoes with good grips, though I did see a lot of people just go barefoot (including my own towards the end).

Tue Apr 30 2019

Great trail, the scenery was breathtaking the hike was not difficult but worked our muscles just the same. The waterfall was lovely and very relaxing.

Fri Apr 12 2019

Very easy hike even in the rain, the trail is mostly sand and rock with a few wood stairs. the falls, pool, and surrounding rock walls are really beautiful, definitely a must see.

Tue Mar 05 2019

Great spot to cool down during the summer.

Sat Feb 16 2019

A nice short hike - well worth adding on to your hiking day after a longer trail.

Sun Feb 03 2019

Hiked solo 2-2-2019: Really short trail, out and back took about 45 minutes, including stopping for photos at the falls. The falls are very nice in the cold months. In the hotter months, a lot of people swim, so it gets crowded. Nice trail if time is limited. Note - trail is not inside park...near the main entrance to the park, turn right onto Moore's Spring Rd., then left on Hall Rd., and the entrance to the trailhead parking area will be about 1/4 mile on the right.

Tue Nov 06 2018

I have loved this spot since I was a kid, alot more crowded in the summer now, but good cool down hike after any of the longer ones In the park. perfect place to get children in the water when warm enough. instagram@jculler421