Lost Cove Area Trails

Lost Cove Area Trails is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Collettsville, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Beautiful hike. I didn’t like walking on the gravel road for possibly a mile? The cascades/falls are small and pretty. Thanks Toby Brennan for helping with the blazes. I took a picture of your comments Incase if no reception and did refer to them on the trail. All Trails map kept me in the trail. There is water for dogs in the middle of the hike as you walk along the creek.

I give it a five because of the great waterfall views. There are at least six great locations on the trail. The trail is difficult to follow and we got lost at least three times but worth the trouble.

The only reason I didn't give this a five was because it is a little confusing. I briefly got lost at 0.8 miles because I stepped onto a side trail to a beautiful vista that is only about 0.1 or less. Ironically probably the best part of the hike. The vista was beautiful and I sat there for an hour. Also saw a timber rattler on the vista (rocky outcropping). Missed the turn at 0.8 because it was a sharp turn back and to the left I just thought it was a gully. I only realized the error because I had decided to turn around and go back when I couldn't find any other real trail off the vista. Then I saw the turn I missed. It was then I decided I better turn on and use my "all trails " app. I had downloaded the loop. From that point forward I made sure my path was following the highlighted path with no diversion from. It kept me from getting lost later when the blue trail continued to the right and the yellow trail went to the left. I needed to veer into yellow trail which I again briefly missed until I noticed my path was off course with and not following the highlights on map app. Really enjoyed the vista but also enjoyed the different falls and laid on rocks there relaxing again for over an hour. Never saw anyone in six hours! Only about 3.5 of that was hiking actually. I parked on Mortimer road where only about 15 feet apart are two trail heads. The one on the left says Harper creek falls and the one on the right says something about lost cove. It was hard to read. Anyways I took the right trail and eventually came back out where the left trail was to my relief. The other thing that helped me is that I had looked at the map well the day before and noticed that to loop you needed to veer to the left at every fork. I ended up going orange blaze to blue blazes then ending with yellow. By the way the orange blazes come back out to Mortimer road but a couple miles away from trail heads. When that happened I thought I had done something wrong but remembering I needed to stay left I turned left up the road about a mile to another vehicle road and turned left there. Not far was the blue blazed trail to the left of course! Other than peeing in my pants when seeing the rattler and walking on a boring road it ended up being a lot of fun.

Cliffs, scenic views, waterfalls, beautiful half day 5 mile hike. I had the gps map downloaded into this app and it was very useful. I wouldn't hike this one without it. The trail is lightly travelled and no cell service.

Love love love

so many trails! love this area! most trails are kid friendly, my threenager hiked them like a champ. beautiful area!

Relatively easy hiking. Scenic. Blazes change color a few times as you transition to new sections. When water is high feet may get wet at a few of the crossing.

The trails are clearly marked in some areas, not so much in others. Not well kept near waterfall but an overall awesome place to hike.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

My family had a great day at Lost Cove. We picnicked and then hiked on the Huntfish Falls Trail and spent hours climbing and swimming at the falls. It's definitely a moderate hike, and their is no trail called "lost cove trail".

Monday, April 18, 2016

Beautiful. We had a great time. We did get a little confused on the back side. There were too many color changes in the trail markers for me. But we all had fun. We will definitely go back and see if we can make it to the top of the falls without the girls.

Monday, April 18, 2016

beautiful trails. it was moderately difficult. pretty falls, clear water.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Beautiful trail especially liked the section of trail that followed the creek. Some real nice primitive camping spots along the creek.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Take a map. Easy to go off trail and worth the effort. Allow six hours. Enjoy.

Monday, April 21, 2014

This is a fantastic trail. Agreed it is not 20 miles, but it is a good 7 to 8 mile loop. Plenty of water as you cross the creek several times and the waterfalls are beautiful. If you want to camp (we did with our 7 year old), there are several excellent sites all close by the creek. Put this on your list of "Must Hikes".

Saturday, August 17, 2013

This loop is not even close to being 20+ miles long. Its 5 miles long. But, it is still a very nice loop, filled with views, waterfalls, and creek wades. The trail climbs steeply to meet the top of Little Lost Cove cliffs. Here, you get great views of the valley and Timber Ridge. Climbing with belay ropes here is also an option. The trail heads downhill and picks up an old roadbed. Soon, it heads west to find N. Harper Creek. There are two very nice waterfalls to look for: Chestnut Cove and N. Harper Crk. From there, the trail leads up hill to ford the creek a few times and back to the forest road. Great loop, but you will get your feet wet.