Learn more

Lookout Mountain and Brushy Mountain Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(47)
Montreat, North Carolina

Lookout Mountain and Brushy Mountain Loop is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Montreat, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,528 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Note: This trail is currently closed due to COVID-19.

icy

Definitely the hardest 6 miles I’ve ever done — some rough elevation changes. This map does not show how to actually get to the Lookout Vantage (you can see it on my recording.) It was very icy/slippery and a little overgrown for a February hike. But the good vantages and signage made it a 3 over a 2.

icy

Great hike. Do it. Highly recommend if you are looking for a nice three hour walk

I really loved this trail! Took it before work, definitely recommend hitting up the lookout mountain shortcut but do it early to beat the crowds. Gotta love racking up a bunch of summits in a short amount of time, and the trestle trail that leads back to the trailhead is a delicious end to a great hike. Not a lot of amazing views other than lookout, but still a rewarding and beautiful saunter.

This trail was so much fun to run, particularly along the ridge line. Bagging multiple peaks back to back was such a delight. The only thing I wish I knew in advance was that there is a structure that appears to be lived in on the backside of Rocky Mountain to the northeast. I was thankful to not be a woman running alone when I came across it. If I had been running alone I would have just stuck to the ridge line to avoid that section of trail. Overall this route is just the right mix of challenging, beautiful, and fun.

Beginning is crowded due to everyone hiking up to the Lookout. Pretty good trail, first half on the old road was a leisurely stroll, but then it got better, with a nice mix of ascents and descents. Fairly wooded and the blazes are few and far between. Despite that, it was easy to stay on the trail, though we did have to consult the map several times because of all the intersecting trails. As others have said, definitely add on the Lookout as it's the only decent view on this trail.

Sun Jun 30 2019

We added a trip to Lookout Mountain and skipped the last loop to Rock Head. The result was a bit under 6 miles but a great workout. I loved the shade... it hindered some views but well worth it in Summer! Loved it!

Fabulous hike with plenty of shade and breaks between inclines. We went out to the Lookout Mountain Overlook and it was definitely worth the added 0.2 miles. Highly recommend! The only part we’d skip is the extra Old Mitchell Toll segment beyond the Trestle Trail. It didn’t add much to the hike except a few brief vistas but nothing as stunning as the summit. Enjoy!

Thu May 16 2019

Good trail, but views were mediocre. About half a mile of trail is fairly overgrown, but not a big issue.

Sun Oct 14 2018

Beautiful hike with a few nice small climbs. Views were lovely even with all the fog. Trails are clearly marked with blazes.

Sun Sep 02 2018

Nice hike but many intersecting trails so you need to pay close attention or you will miss your turns. Old trestle trail is was enjoyable.

Thu Nov 02 2017

Fairly Difficult averaged 3 mph with running the fire road. Great time. My wife and I loved it, but our legs are paying now as we sit a Trail Head for food and a beer!

Mon Jul 17 2017

The trail was decent, but the views were scarce with the exception of my trip up to Lookout's rocky top - spectacular views. Be forewarned that the first 1/2 mile is straight up and the entire trip to Lookout is up steep steps, rocks and stairs - not for the faint at heart. The trail wasn't were marked and a 25% of it was one step below bush whacking. Still enjoyed the day.