Looking Glass Rock Trail

Looking Glass Rock Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Brevard, NC: Travel US 276 northwest for approximately 5 miles, then turn left (toward the Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education) just before Looking Glass Falls. The Looking Glass Rock Trailhead will be on the right.

18 minutes ago

I did this hike today and it was very nice. The view is so beautiful at the end! The hike isn’t too strenuous and I would rate it moderate to hard at the very end. Be careful with yellow jackets (there was a nest), I got stung and ended up with a severe allergic reaction and a rescue team had to come get me. So if you’re allergic, take your pen/meds with you!

First thing to note is that this is a different trail than looking glass falls which several people seemed confused about. The only water fall is a very small one near the start. The trail is not steep but the 3 miles out is entirely uphill. The view at the top is definitely worth it though!

Lovely views, lovely hike. The climb is never steep, just steady and moderate. We hiked up for sunset and soaked in our first Eastern sights of the Milky Way along with a hand-full of meteors from the Perseid shower. Other than a few passers-by, we had the place to ourselves.

Great workout. Not a scenic “hike”.

wow!

Loved the scenic trail and the destination is breathtaking! Hike is very strenuous but worth it in the end!

Hard work but the view makes it worth it! Lots of water on the trail causing frequent mud puddles.

This trail is fantastic. Easy walk up with a few points of interest and the view at the end is breathtaking. No wonder the trailhead is ALWAYS packed.

Great hike with fantastic views at the top. A very popular trail so expect lots of company and to be parking on the side of the road since the parking lot will most likely be full. The trail is very well maintained. I would describe it as a moderate hike since all of the switchbacks make the ascent very managable.

Very nice trail for a great view at the top.
Would say it’s more of a moderate trail than hard.
Would recommend proper hiking shoes due to exposed roots, noticed some people having footing issues with running/gym shoes. I would do the trail again .

Great hike! Gradual uphill all the way up with pretty foliage. Just a pretty and enjoyable trail. I would say it’s more on the moderate side than difficult. Heavily trafficked with lots of dogs too — but it is a Saturday in summer. Went early (started around 9:30) and it wasn’t too bad traffic wise on the way up. The view is definitely worth it with a nice, mostly easy trek down. Would definitely do this one again.

A good workout and mostly uphill.

Fun hike! Not as hard as a lot of the reviews said. We even saw some elderly folk making their way back down. It is a decent workout and definitely worth the hike! The view and rock face is one of the best the area has to offer! A must see!

One of my favorite hikes. Strenuous but not too long. Fantastic payoff at the top. Excellent half day outing.

Really good trail for an out and back that isn’t too easy. Good amount of challenge for a great payoff at the top. Took my wife and I (and carrying my 15mo old) an hour and 40min to the top and an hour and 15min down. Great spot for a quicker morning hike.

Loved this hike! Great cardio getting up there and the view is amazing.

Fun hike to great view, even when it's a little rainy and very foggy.

Going up is an amazing workout with one of the best payoffs I've experienced once you get to the top! if you are clumsy, stay along the treeline at the top of the rock.

Whoa! My body hasn’t worked that hard in a long while! We arrived at the trailhead around 9:30 AM and it took us nearly til noon to get to the summit. I would suggest hiking early in the summer heat/humidity. Took us less than 2 hours to get back down. There are long range views for miles and miles at the summit!! I agree with a previous reviewer though, that the hike is a little monotonous with ALL the switchbacks. I prefer more mountain views. Regardless, my body is sore so I know I got a good workout. Take more water than you usually would. We drank everything we had and shared some with a guy who had none. Wouldn’t recommend for young children unless you intend to carry them!

Overall very good hike. Very well-maintained trail. Sort of reminded me of a shorter version of the Alum Cave Trail to Mt. LeConte. Starts off in a very pretty forest then ascent begins without any views until you reach the top. But, the view at the top is truly spectacular. Takes some getting use to walking on the top of the rock (i.e., vertigo). Take care not to venture too far down the rock face. Popular spot so start early.

Okay trail but you'll spend the majority of the trail going up dirt switchbacks with no view. About half way to 3/4 way there is a cool rock outcropping that is used as an emergency helipad when needed. This is a perfect place to picnic or rest before going to summit. The view from the top is very nice though just a very monotonous trail to get there.

great hike with an amazing view but it is a 6.8 mile hike and the Garmin agrees. it's a hour and ten to an hour and twenty hike up and I'm feeling it today (day after). would highly recommend for experienced hikers or anyone in decent shape and up for a bit of cardio. great hike!

We measured it as 6 miles round trip. It’s a workout for sure! Steady uphill for 2 miles with switchbacks. John’s Rock was a nice place for a short rest before hiking the last and toughest mile to the top. Lots of rocks and roots in that last mile up. The view at the top is breathtaking and a nice reward for the work to get to the top.

Tough hike because of the steady uphill climb, but the view at the top is great. There were a few springs on the way up that our dog enjoyed. Take plenty of water. GPS showed 6.1 miles.

Hard work getting up but absolutely worth it. Incredible views from the top!

Challenging but not too laborious for a moderately fit person. There is little view on the way up, but once you reach the top, everything suddenly clears out and a mesmerizing view expands before you. The rock at the top is quite slick though, so beware.

My first solo hike. Literally took my breath away when I made it to the top.

Amazing view!

Awesome challenging trail with a great view at the top. Afterwards you can soak it out in the river!

Great hike. It’s more like a 6 mile hike and gets steep in the last .8 miles up. So worth the climb for this amazing view. Went on a Wednesday in June around noon and only handful of people there, which made it really nice.