Looking Glass Rock Trail

Looking Glass Rock Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Brevard, NC: Travel US 276 northwest for approximately 5 miles, then turn left (toward the Pisgah Center for Wildlife Education) just before Looking Glass Falls. The Looking Glass Rock Trailhead will be on the right.

No waterfall on the trail to the top, but the view from the top is gorgeous! Looks up at the parkway and black balsom area.

Amazing view at the top. Well worth the strenuous hike up.

What an incredible day. Mild temps (60-70’s) and sunny. Went during the week, so the trail was empty the majority of the way there and back. The view was remarkable and the hike was challenging in some areas but definitely doable. One of the best hikes I’ve been on.

Awesome trail with a breathtaking view at the mid point. Not an easy hike but worth it.

Very fun trail, 1:15 up and and 1:10 down for two able-bodied 28 year-olds. Down took longer than expected because it was just about noon and there were more groups on the trail.

We got there at about 9:45 and there was only one other car in the parking lot. By the time we got back at 12:30, the lot was overflowing.

Very well marked trail! Great views at the top. A little tricky at times with rocks and roots, but not bad. Do not go careening off the side of the Rock and die, please.

Somehow when I was a camper we did this hike in 3 days (???).

We did this hike with our two kids, ages 8 and 11. It took about 1.5 hours to the top, views were amazing. It took a little less than an hour to return. Not an overly crowded trail.

Great trail with beautiful view at the top! We went on a weekday so it wasn’t crowded.

I don't think I would call this one Hard by any means.... I think moderate would be a better description. Nice fun hike that you can knock out pretty quick. Round trip was 1:50 for me, moving pretty quick though.... Approach shoes are really nice when the rock is wet.

Tough but worth it!

Fun hike! We went fast with no rests in between- got up in 1h 40 min and down in 1h 15 min with three kids in top shape (5, 7 & 9 year olds). Views on top are amazing! Plan your hike to stay on top longer. It's very pretty! Some spots are muddy. Kids fell a few times. :-)

This is a fun trail that gets the blood pumping. Lovely rock face and view at the top. Parking lot gets full quickly on nice days.

This is vigorous hike with a great reward!!

Windy trail up the mountain - take plenty of water! Really beautiful views up top. I started at 9:30 AM on a weekday and was one of three people on the trail. Coming back down around 11:30 AM, there was much heavier foot traffic.

Beautiful, well-maintained trail. Loved hiking it, but VERY high traffic. I must have passed 15-20 groups of hikers on the way up and again on the way down — but they were all very pleasant and everyone was eager and willing to let me pass as an excuse to take a breather! Iconic views at the top. A little muddy, but not bothersome at all, and worth the payoff at the end. Probably less traffic in the early AM or later in the day.

Fantastic trail, well marked, moderate/strenuous. Incredible views. However, if the weather is nice and it’s a weekend day, it is heavily—HEAVILY—trafficked. Would recommend a weekday hike if possible. Lots of people and groups at the top talking loudly which put a damper on what should have been peace & solitude with beautiful scenery.

Absolutely perfect spot for meditation. I went later in the day in March so for a while, I had the world to myself.

What a great day hike from Asheville. A short drive from town to a great hike to an excellent view. Go early in the day as late afternoon photos end up going into the sun. The falls are a short walk or even shorter drive from the trailhead.

With some trekking poles this trail is not difficult at all. I highly recommend this iconic hike!

This place has an incredibly gorgeous waterfall called Looking Glass Falls and mild rock climbing if you want to get closer to the waterfall. And not far from there is Sliding Rock, which is also a waterfall but different in that you can actually slide down the whole thing like you would a water slide at a water park. It's gorgeous. Traffic was minimal, at least when we went it wasn't bad. It was really nice.

Fairly strenuous, though the switchbacks make it manageable. Take water as there’s none up top. The view off the bald face is amazing but do watch your step. Hammock camping on the top is epic.

One of my most fave hikes I have done! Would of been better if my buddy was in better shape. They held me up on pace. But you can actually bring a hammock and pitch it up at the peak and be fully relaxed through the day and have a pic nic too!

Trail is definitely longer than 5.3. more like 6.5 or so miles. The view at the end is worth it.

sweet views at the top. really enjoyed this trail, its a good workout but not long enough to be too challenging tho.

Even in winter, amazing views once you reach the end! Make plenty of time to sit up top and enjoy things.

It was a hard climb, but worth it once you get to the top. A lot of ice still on the trail, so be careful.

Looking Glass trail is a great challenging hike, however you don't get any great views, except on the trail. We made it to the top, had it not been winter one would not have been able to see the surrounding mountains. Plus we met many hikers on the trail, good to see people taking advantage!

Great view at the top enjoyed the climb

Spectacular views at the top! Well worth the climb!

My wife and I have now hiked this trail twice in the past few months, and 3 times since we moved to Ashevillle back in 2011. Not too strenuous, and as already mentioned a great view at the top. It was a little muddy in several spots, I assume residual wetness from the snow we got a couple of weeks back.

Mapmyride indicated that this was 7.5 miles round trip, and that seems legit as it was about 1.5 hours to the top, and that speed is consistent with what my wife and I have done in the past for an uphill hike like this.

lots of switchbacks helping to keep the trail not too steep. All in all , a very good workout.