Little Butt and Point Misery Hike

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(112)
Blue Ridge Parkway

Little Butt and Point Misery Hike is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Barnardsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,230 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Ridge Views, Fall Colors, Good Exercise The trail is a generally ascending, descending ridge-line walk, with some outstanding views of the Mt. Mitchell Range. Fall would probably be the best time for this hike , when the leaves turn to their Autumn colors. There are a couple of pretty steep climbs, going out from the low gap to Little Butt, and returning from the low gap to Point Misery 22 switchbacks, Well Named. There is no water on this trail bring plenty.

Go early to beat the crowds. I really enjoyed this hike, but I would not recommend this for people with little kids or mobility issues. lots of slopes and uphill hikes. The stairs that lead up to a beautiful view kicked my butt, but it was worth it. I didn't see a single person until I was on my way back to the trailhead and I saw several groups (around 1:30pm) It was slightly overgrown in parts, but the trail was clearly visible and marked. once again, go early if you want to truly appreciate the beauty of this trail.

Beautiful high-elevation evergreen forest. View from the lookout is beautiful but obstructed.

walker knob overlook to big butt summit. Best views on little butt, but continuing on to big butt summit is a nice ridge walk. LOTS OF STAIRS. Trailhead is on south end of parking area.

Nice hike with a great view at the top but I could not find point misery.

This is a great hike. Very well maintained and clearly marked. Nice clearing to stop for a break.

Great walk today. Enjoyed the view from little butte. A little rock outcrop to sit on. Clouds opened up for us and view was nice. Will be outstanding in two weeks! Didn’t try big butte trail

Overall nice hike from parkway to little butt. Well maintained. If you attempt little butt to big butt very overgrown. Second half of hike is strenuous with numerous steps. No water on trail. Very crowded on our trip.

This is a nice hike to a beautiful overlook at Little Butt but I never did find Point Misery. I also did not continue down to Big Butt so I’m not sure what the view there is like but it should only be about a half mile beyond little butt. The trail was well-maintained, not overgrown when I was there like other posts report. I ran into a handful of people on my way back but otherwise it was very secluded and quiet. I would consider doing the trail in the winter however it is 15 to 20° colder than down in Asheville so winter may be too chilly. I’m sure there’s plenty of beautiful views you could see when the leaves aren’t on the trees. Probably would not go out of my way to do this one again, though my dogs loved it!

Great trail, recently maintained, so no longer overgrown. Lots of wildflowers and butterflies. I hiked on a Saturday afternoon and met no one else.

This was a decent hike - we got a good workout in, and the lookout was good. I definitely recommend long pants as the trail is overgrown. The upside is that we only saw 2 other people on the trail. After a short break at the Little Butt, we kept going and thought we'd try to find the Big Butt (someone told us we would have to take a side trail), but we turned around after about .5 miles as the trail was completely overgrown.

This was a great out and back to a small overlook. The last part is the most difficult and not exactly worth the view. My dog and I had some issues navigating parts of the trail where the grass was completely overgrown.

Sun Jun 02 2019

The trail was a bit overgrown, so wear long pants. It raises your heart rate coming and going!! Beautiful summit!!! I’ll do it again real soon!!!!

Sun May 26 2019

Challenging but rewarding. Lightly traveled. I’d recommend long pants as the grass if very high in some places. It came up to our 5 year old’s shoulders! We were the only family with children but they did great. We only saw about 4 other hikers.

Sun May 26 2019

Great trail, very lightly traveled; went on Memorial Day weekend and only saw 4 other hikers. Starts off easy, gets a little tougher towards the end. Fantastic view at the end.

Wed May 01 2019

Beautiful hike, really enjoyed it however ran into a bear cub two miles in. No issues but wanted to share.

Wed Apr 24 2019

solid trail! little butt was so nice for lunch

Sat Mar 30 2019

Trail was in good condition and easy to follow. A few strenuous spots - stairs, but many rather level areas and gentle ups and downs. Picturesque with huge old trees and moss covered rocks and some beautiful views. Dogs had a great time and so did we. Perfect weather added to the hike.

Sun Sep 09 2018

Lots of up and down over a short distance. Good for cardio training. Stop for a snack on the rocky overlook at the top of Little Butt (right side as you hike away from the parking lot).

Sun Sep 02 2018

The trail is beautiful and well maintained but even for two fit Floridians this trail was very difficult. I’d rate it much more than moderate.

Mon Aug 27 2018

Hiked on August 22, 2018. Very enjoyable and well-maintained although narrow in places. Wildflowers, butterflies and mushrooms in abundance. The sign at the trail head says 2.5 miles to Little Butt overlook but it is actually 2.8 miles. At 2.5 miles there is an overlook, one of several you you pass, but it isn’t the one you’re looking for. I would rate this hike as moderate due to altitude changes, but your experience will vary depending on your pace. This was the third time I’ve done this lovely hike.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Second on in and out and back to Big Butt Mountain. Little Butt has a heck of a climb from the gap below Point Misery. Thanks to the High Country Conservation group for installing stairs and maintaining this very narrow trail. On the back side are some great views east and west towards the rest of the Black Mountains and the Craggy Mountains. Unfortunately, the clouds closed in soon and I hiked in the rain from thereafter.

Fri Oct 20 2017

Good hike! I would rank a little better than moderate.

Sun Jul 30 2017

Nice view of Mt Mitchell at the top.

Thu Apr 06 2017

Great well-maintained trail along the ridge line, follow the diamond blaze. Some steeper climbing in parts, but overall easy hiking. Pack a lunch and take a break to enjoy the beautiful views at the top! There's a small site to camp as well. We didn't run into anyone else on the trail, beautiful and quiet!

Thu Apr 06 2017

Really fun not too strenuous. There's a great view/picnic spot on Little Butt. It's well worth the trek we went midweek and didn't see anyone else the whole time.

Wed Oct 12 2016

Great hike...well worth the view! Seems to go along a Ridgeline so there's some views on each side of the trail. One passed one couple during this hike so it's nice if you don't want to be around a bunch of people. Coming from Asheville the parking off the parkway is to the left where the trail starts. There are two trail heads, one is the mountains to sea and the other to the left corner that is not marked is this trail head. Very peaceful hike, lots of loud buzzing flies though.

Mon Oct 03 2016

Hiked this trail on 10/2/2016. The sign at the parking lot was missing, and there was no sign to indicate the start of this trail. Our book said it was a white rectangle blaze, but it is a white diamond blaze. Apart from all of that confusion, it was a glorious hike through the woods. Easy hike with strenuous climbs, but the view is well worth it!! We were the only ones on the trail on the way up and passed 2 people on the way back. Had flies buzzing about for most of the hike, but very quiet otherwise.

Tue Jun 21 2016

Lovely hike. Nice high altitude walk, above 5000' in a mix of balsam and deciduous trees with the forest floor lined with ferns. I could not find any views at Point Misery. A very nice vista is around 2.3 miles on the east side of Little Butt.