Little Bearwallow Trail

Little Bearwallow Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Gerton, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Park at the trailhead for Upper Hickory Nut Gap and cross road at the crosswalk. After crossing the street take the path down the stone stairs follow to get on Little Bearwallow trail.

I hike this trail at least once a week. Its one of my favorite trials because it's a good workout, well designed, ideal length if you only have a couple of hours, and for me, close to my house. highly recommend.

Great trail. Well maintained. The bat boxes were cool to see. Uphill and steep at times.

Very nice trail and good marking. The yellow to blue trail is what we did and it was a moderate hike.

Fun little trail.

It obviously rained the night before our hike and was a little slippery on some of the rocks. Yes, you have to cross the creek a few times but nothing major at the beginning. I would not consider it rock climbing at all. However, if you dare, the falls will provide you with an opportunity to rock climb or ice climb when it has frozen. I would consider it a moderate hike.
There are steps in places that some may find difficult. I wasn't really impressed with the summit. My five year old did it without any issues at all. I gave it three stars because I enjoyed it with my son.

Great hike, very strenuous in spots. When you get to the top you’re at a pasture with great views (and also many cows!) would hike again.

We are not your average hikers aka not as experienced and this trail was great but rough in the beginning like not sure if I was going to make it. Once we got up a ways it was a beautiful hike and nice heading down as it was all down hill!

Was one hell of a job, but we did it. Us hardworking guys, and girls at the American Conservation Experience are glad to see the trail being enjoyed.

Gets pretty windy in that valley, and the ice can be dangerous falling off of the rock faces, so be careful!

Well maintained trail but goes up and up- wouldn’t call it moderate

If this is moderate, I’m afraid of strenuous! The trail was steep, well marked, and fun but everyone in my party was huffing and puffing by the time we got to the waterfall. There was a downed tree blocking the trail towards the beginning but it was otherwise a pretty clear trail. There were a few stream crossing but we all made it out without getting wet (and I was the only one wearing boots!)

Great trail with a lot to see. The falls at the end are beautiful, and you cross the stream several times on the way up. I would rate it as more difficult since there is rock climbing and river crossing, but it’s still beautiful.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

This trail was great! Pretty hard and steep at times but very beautiful.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

It was a great hike but at several points very strenuous especially between the falls and wildcat rock. Really liked the grazing fields at the top with a look towards bearwallow mountain. Excellent blazed trail - thanks CMLC.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Had a blast and so did our dogs. It was challenging but not difficult. The top was just a field, but felt great to make it there. The dogs enjoyed the cool creek to swim in at the end!

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Fun and challenging trail up to the meadow. The falls are cool but don't expect a rager. The meadow has a great view and cows that we didn't see but could hear and smell them very well). It was tricky finding the trail again from the meadow.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Has a few good points on the trail so you can hike as much as you want. You can go up to the waterfall and turn back, or continue to the rock overlooking the gorge, and double back to get back on the trail to get to the bald at the top.