Linville Peak via Profile Trail

Linville Peak via Profile Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Banner Elk, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,133 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Most difficult, most rewarding trail I've ever done. Ladders, steep inclines, loose rock... Bring your poles and water! Go early if you're doing out and back. This one takes time!

app stopped after 4 miles. lifeline too. not impressed with that. trail longer than app.

This trail is very hard but it definitely worth the efforts to complete the round trip. One trick we used is to ask the faster member of the team to bring the car from the new parking lot to the old one. This saved us almost one mile! In retrospective, we probably should have started in the old trail head as well, since the two of us is obviously less fit than the other members. They also included the Calloway Peak on the way and met us on top. When going down, they started one hour earlier than us, and finished about 1.5 hours less.

First, this is an excellent trail but is misleading. After Mile 2.0 it gets progressively difficult & challenging. Do not hike this trail without poles & sturdy hiking shoes. Excellent flora and great views with a cave & sheer rock faces. It’s worth the effort, but go prepared! Good news/bad news: limited to no switchbacks as on the AT...it’s generally a vertical rock scramble after 1.5-2.0 point. Enjoy & listen to your body!

We started at the parking lot and stayed on course, but didn’t even make it to the end. We still travelled well past what the hike says it is. We did 10.7 miles total and didn’t even complete the hike. Just be aware the mileage and elevation was off for me. Very technical after mile 4 or so. Beautiful views and awesome hike, but difficult and longer than advertised.

I’m 44 and my wife is 41. We hike regularly and are in good shape and health. And we want people to understand how difficult this trail is. The first mile is easy to moderate and beautiful. From mile 2 to the swinging bridge it becomes more and more treacherous. Aside from the continuous, steep incline, wet and sharp rocks are the norm from here on out. The trail is pretty well marked. The views are amazing! It took about 3.5hrs to get from hwy105 parking area to top of Grandfather Mountain. Wouldn’t take less than a teenager on this hike. We were going to hike in and out, but with the threat of rain, we couldn’t imagine trying to scale back down those wet rocky slopes. It was a full body hike/workout.

Quite strenuous but a very rewarding adventure.

First off this trail is wicked! I would not advise bring a dog! I brought mine that is 35 pounds and I had to carry her up and down some rock scrambles and ladders with the help of a friend. Being an avid hiker my friend and I thought 10 miles and back, no problem. Wrong! It took us 4.5 hours to get to the end of the trail and then we had a hitch a ride back because of daylight and the butt whipping. All that being said it was beautiful and very challenging! We definitely will go back, but with out Tilly

very well taken care of trail...be careful of the mud after it rains. the parking lot and bathrooms look new and well taken care of. you can here traffic from 105 for about the first 3/4 of a mile but after that it's you and nature. I only hiked to the first lookout and back but it was quite pleasent non the less.

Saturday, June 16, 2018