EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Linville Falls Trail

Linville Falls Trail is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Newland, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.9 miles Elevation Gain: 82 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Easy hike to a number of Linville Falls viewing platforms. The trail is great for walking and normally takes 1-3 hours. Linville Falls is one of the major attractions along the Blue Ridge Parkway at milepost 316. Linville falls is located in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Carolina and is the beginning of Linville Gorge; the waterfalls are fed from the Linville River and flows down the mountain into Lake James near Marion, North Carolina. The trail departs from the gravel parking lot noted in the Trailhead description and is clearly marked. The trail descends down hill for about .4 miles. At the bottom of this descent you can go left for about .2 miles to a viewing platform directly above the falls. At the time of this report, this trail option was closed. Continue another approximately .2 miles and you will come to the "Chimney" viewing area. Look left for outstanding views of the upper and lower Linville Falls. From this vantage point the falls are about 200 meters away. Continue up the trail another 800 feet or so and view into the Linville Gorge at Erwins View.

1 hour ago

Not really a hike as much as a short walk. Very crowded with wide paths so I had to stay close to my owners. Not as much fun as the more natural trails for me. Nice place for families with young children. Great views of the falls and not a very long walk from the parking lot.

Easy short hike with multiple different trails to different locations. Lots of people for a weekday. I would not go again due to the crowd.

Beautiful, but to crowded for my taste, there were no less than 70 people there, had to wait for people to pass in tight areas. Went, saw, but wouldn't go again.

Easy for beginners

Very involved trail. We decided to do the most difficult one to the gorge. Lots of rocks and roots. Super awesome payoff though. The falls were beautiful. Taking the gorge trail takes you directly to the bottom. You are able to climb over rocks and get super close to the actual fall. Was definitely a workout though.

Very pretty waterfall.

Water was a little low but beautiful hike

Easy hike, exceptional views. Well maintained and spacious.

Nice easy hike through shaded trees to falls viewing platform. Good for families with children and dogs.

If you're on the Blue Ridge Parkway, take this detour. There are multiple overlooks that look out on the gorge and falls.

Easy family friendly trail. It’s typically very busy. The falls are really small. Nothing I’d want to do again.

Family friendly, easy hike. Extremely crowded on Sunday that I was there.

Multiple great vantage points downstream on the right. Great for all ages.

This is a great trail for all ages! Shaded, a little uphill coming back but just take your time.

Nice trail with several lookouts to see the waterfalls and mountains. Doable with a walking 4yo and toddler in a carrier. Lots of dogs on the trail too!

Super easy walk.

Easy to moderate. Started at the Linville Falls visitor center. Three options. We did the longest green trail that was rated as moderate. The hike was not difficult. Nice wide trail. Good views of the waterfalls.

Was a beautiful hike. A little busy but that was ok. It rained on the way out but with the trees covering the trail we didn't get too wet. On a bad note the park rangers were no help. They were more interested in talking to each other. There was no toilet paper in the bathroom. I asked for some and they ignored me. Several people asked for directions and they blew them off as well.

Beautiful, easy, but very crowded!

Very easy trail to walk, the views of the waterfalls are wonderful.

Beautiful waterfall

Very easy walkways. Completely graveled. Took the dog and saw many other dogs there. We went after a rainfall and nothing was washed out, all of the paths were in great condition.

This was a great trail for our family of 7. My 5 and 3 year old hiked it as well without any issues.

Easily handled this with a 10 and 12 year old....nicely maintained trails, beautiful scenery....there were several groups of 20 or more high school age kids from local summer camps, they were all polite and friendly....great hike.

This is a nice hike. There are nice views of the falls from several locations. It’s just too busy for me. I prefer more remote hikes. I would rate this hike as easy. It’s not flat so be prepared to hike a shallow incline the entire length but most people, young and old, shouldn’t have a problem.

Boring trail. Tons of people. Unimpressive waterfall considering how many others are nearby. We enjoyed the nearby table rock and hawksbill hikes.

Great view of Linville Falls

This is a nice trail but it was super crowded and I just felt like you couldn’t get close enough to the falls. The trail is nice and clearly marked and the falls are pretty but you see them only from a distance and for me, that was a downfall. I like to get up close and personal with them. It is worth the additional hike to chimney rock to the overlook and I enjoyed the fact that the trail was nicely kept. But I probably wouldn’t go back to this one. It just isn’t my favorite way to hike. I prefer water you can get in and enjoy.